Lance rides in my tyre tracks

Old August 9th 09, 09:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Lance rides in my tyre tracks

Rode over part of the Tour of Ireland today. Picked my point to watch
the race.

Not saying where, as I don't want to encourage a crowd.

Basically there are only three possible kinds of viewpoints where the
riders won't be coming past like steam trains with the spectators
seeing just about nothing.

One possibility is to stand on a hill with a view of a good section of
the road and use binoculars. One whole stage if the Tour passes
through my hillwalking backyard; I know all the hills. There are some
good possibilities, but I really want to be closer to the action.

Closer in there are two possibilities.

One is a steep uphill section, preferably with a cafe on it. Those are
quite scarce in Ireland (not the uphills -- the pavement cafes; we
don't have the weather for it).

The other is a choke point of some kind where the riders slow down and
bunch up.

Opinion on these, or a possibility I've overlooked, is welcome from
experienced cycle-race spectators.

***
I've selected a choke point as a vantage point for my party, a right
angled turn following hard on a bridge which itself is at the bottom
of a steep and long downhill. It is likely to be one of the dramatic
moments of the race.

As I say, I'm not giving away the location, and have no fear anyone
else will spot it because local knowledge is required.

The view is the long downhill on a narrow road with a poor surface,
the bridge which is actually an expansion section after the narrow
road, a short section of road with drops into the estuary both sides,
the turn at the T-junction where we'll be standing right close on the
blocked-off road, and a hill leading away, once more on a narrowish
section of road.

***
There's an excellent restaurant and bar within walking distance if the
race runs late, where we'll eat after the race passes. If we misjudge
our aperitif, the lawn of the restaurant is right beside the road
where the race passes. Lance can reach out and take a glass Campari
and soda from my hand. Very convenient, if not as perfect as the spot
I've chosen.

***
I barreled down the hill and over the bridge and braked late and hard
for the corner (later and harder by far than I would normally) and
just barely made it, both wheels in the ditch at one point or another,
though fortunately not at once or I could be sending this from the
hospital.

I surely hope those riders have good brakes because there are no
escape roads, just a solid embankment with gorse (nasty thorns)
facing the bridge exit, and the hard railings both sides of the road
over the estuary.

***
Maybe I should call Da Papah and ask if they need help from an actual
cyclist in interviewing Mr Armstrong. Nah, that'll be too much like
work. I suppose I could conjure up a camera team and do a spot of
local colour while I'm enjoying myself, but then I'd have to get up
early to get a tan painted on. I think that for once I'll turn up late
and be a tourist.

That's what's cycling is all about, enjoying yourself in your own good
time.

Andre Jute
Watching the other guys work...

Is Lance a Fred now that he drinks and rides? Bailiwick Racing 1 February 11th 06 01:36 AM
Share your gps tracks from bike rides [email protected] Rides 3 September 6th 05 02:09 AM
Share your gps tracks from bike rides - now also supports gpx [email protected] Techniques 0 September 2nd 05 04:26 AM
RR tracks Raptor Racing 23 July 13th 05 04:13 PM
Lance Armstrong rides aged tubulars Mike Krueger Techniques 84 July 8th 05 07:40 PM