Interview on KOL, AOL's online radio station for kids, today, 2:30pm PST

Old February 11th 04, 07:46 PM
johnfoss

Default Interview on KOL, AOL's online radio station for kids, today, 2:30pm PST

Sorry about the short notice. I was trying to find out if there's a way
for non-AOL members to listen to this. Apparently not.

Anyway, if you have AOL, their kids radio station KOL will be
interviewing me today at 2:30 PST (in a little over 2 hours from now).

I believe it's a call-in show, where kids get to ask questions of the
"expert." We'll see how it goes! We're not allowed to give out any
specific web addresses, but she didn't say I couldn't mention
1-800-UNICYCLE as a place to find product...

--
johnfoss - IUF Director

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"I haven't heard any good quotes lately."

Old February 12th 04, 12:24 AM
Checkernuts

Too bad aol sucks.

Anyway you probably could have mentioned unicycle.com because it is a
company name and not a direct web address with out the www

--
Checkernuts - Me Fail English? That's Unpossible

No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
to do it right. H20
Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801

Old February 12th 04, 05:28 AM
Barb

Hey, John! I happened to catch the interview. Very good job! Thought you might
want to know someone heard.
Barb K.
Old February 12th 04, 06:12 PM
johnfoss

Checkernuts wrote:
*Anyway you probably could have mentioned unicycle.com because it is a
company name and not a direct web address with out the www *

That would be what we call "How to not get invited back." However I did
consider the possibility of mentioning people could call 1-800-UNICYCLE,
but the topic of where to get one didn't come up.

Yes, AOL sucks, but it commands a huge audience, including several of my
nieces and nephews. The deaf community now has less reason to rely so
heavily on AOL, because it's easier to use AIM from other programs
now.

The interview was fun. It was a little weird, going from my quiet
kitchen to suddenly speaking with a hyped-up DJ with a British accent. I
only got to say hi to him in the last 20 seconds before we went on, and
I tried to gear up to his high-energy pace, and picture a room full of
6-12 year-olds to aim the discussion at.

It was a basic description of unicycling from ground zero, with only one
picture for the kids to look at; the shot I used to have on my avatar of
me riding a banked curve on a mountain bike dual slalom downhill course.
All in all, I hope I put the right idea into some kids' minds, and that
the picture may have inspired some to try doing it themselves!

--
johnfoss

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"Don't let gravity get you down."

Old February 13th 04, 07:14 AM
Gilby

Not bad... much better than long division.

--
Gilby - Unicyclist.com Webmaster
Gilby's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1

Old February 13th 04, 08:38 PM
johnfoss

Gilby wrote:
*Not bad... much better than long division. *

The thing was, and I had to stop myself from saying it, that I don't
exactly remember *how* to do long division. And I'm not worried about
it. Unless there's a big holocaust, I will always probably be able to
pick up a calculator. I wear one on my wrist...

But I use long division as an example of something that's annoying to
kids in the KOL age range, but something they have to learn whether they
like it or not.

--
johnfoss - Moab bound!

Old February 13th 04, 09:19 PM
Gilby

When I heard it, I was wondering if I even remember how to still do long
division. But thinking about it now, I could figure it out if I ever
needed it.

Old February 13th 04, 09:43 PM
harper

Gilby wrote:
*When I heard it, I was wondering if I even remember how to still do
long division. But thinking about it now, I could figure it out if I
ever needed it. *

Are you guys serious? You never pick up a pencil and paper or a stick
and the dirt and do a division problem? People forget how to do that?
You're always that close to a calculator? I still do them regularly just
so I don't have to find a calculator. I'll bet there is an age cut off
that's very sharp around the development time of the cheap, four
function calculator that is defined by this phenomenon.

--
harper - Statuesque

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"Stoke your own thread as much as you see fit, no problem." - Klaas
Bil

"Ugh, the Harpers; The worst neighbours in the world" - Tony Micelli

Old February 13th 04, 10:11 PM
Gilby

harper wrote:
*Are you guys serious? You never pick up a pencil and paper or a stick
and the dirt and do a division problem? People forget how to do that?
You're always that close to a calculator? I still do them regularly
just so I don't have to find a calculator. I'll bet there is an age
cut off that's very sharp around the development time of the cheap,
four function calculator that is defined by this phenomenon. *

Usually the common division problems I encounter are ones easy enough to
do in my head. After that, the most common division problems are then
pretty complicated and are dealing with large sets of numbers.