Used stuff at shops?

Old December 8th 03, 05:40 AM
Matt J

Default Used stuff at shops?

I've noticed that most shops around here don't really do much selling
of old used stuff. I've had some luck with one guy at one shop, but I
think it's him and not the shop that sells stuff. Is there a reason
for this? Do shops not want to get a rep for selling used parts? Are
there liability issues of some sort?

If it matters, I'm just north of Chicago (Evanston).
Matt
Old December 8th 03, 06:34 AM
David L. Johnson

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 21:40:05 +0000, Matt J wrote:

I've noticed that most shops around here don't really do much selling of
old used stuff. I've had some luck with one guy at one shop, but I think
it's him and not the shop that sells stuff. Is there a reason for this?
Do shops not want to get a rep for selling used parts? Are there liability
issues of some sort?

Does any other retail business get into the business of used merchandise?
There are, of course, huge issues in selling used stuff. It would have to
be sold "as is", which we tend to accept from individuals, but not from
retail outlets. Buy a used frame for cheap. It breaks. What do you do?
You go back to the store you bought it from, if you bought it from a
store. For the small amount the dealer would make on the transaction, who
needs the hassle?

The only retail dealers I can think of who sell used stuff are car
dealers. But who wants the reputation that used car dealers have?
Certainly not for the price of a used bicycle.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Let's not escape into mathematics. Let's stay with reality. --
_`\(,_ | Michael Crichton
(_)/ (_) |

Old December 8th 03, 08:36 AM
Zoot Katz

Mon, 08 Dec 2003 01:34:33 -0500, ,
"David L. Johnson" wrote:

The only retail dealers I can think of who sell used stuff are car
dealers. But who wants the reputation that used car dealers have?
Certainly not for the price of a used bicycle.

Our Community Bikes! has a large inventory of used parts. It's
arguably the greater part of their business for the past 10 years.
http://www.pedalpower.org/ocb.html

Another community initiative is called Bike Works that has a huge
selection of used parts.
http://www.unitedwecan.ca/

They both sell new parts too but not complete new bicycles. Used bikes
can be purchased reconditioned or as-is.

They're great resources to have so I do my bit to support them.
--
zk
Old December 8th 03, 01:07 PM
S. Anderson

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message
They both sell new parts too but not complete new bicycles. Used bikes
can be purchased reconditioned or as-is.

They're great resources to have so I do my bit to support them.
--
zk

The problem as we saw it with used stuff, is that you make less margin than
new and you have to store the stuff same as new stuff. It's simply less
profitable. You CAN make a go of it, but you have to get stuff really
cheap. Most people don't want to hear that you'll give them $100 for the
****ter they bought 10 years ago for $600. And it's also about appearance.
You make more money on clothes and accessories, arguably the most
fashion-sensitive parts of cycling, and you need to project that you're a
first-class, trendy store. Start out with buckets of old derailleurs in
your lobby and you're going the wrong way. And to top it off, when you deal
in used stuff, there are issues about what happens if stuff doesn't
work...is there a warranty implied? It's tricky..people expect that when
they pay for something, it will work. And they'll come back and take up a
lot of your time trying to figure out why it doesn't work, only to find out
the piece or bike is bent or mangled in some way. So, it's a tricky deal.
It's kinda like owning a wreckers versus owning a new auto parts place.
That may illustrate the difference more clearly.

Cheers,

Scott..

Old December 8th 03, 07:53 PM
Zoot Katz

Mon, 8 Dec 2003 08:07:41 -0500,
,
"S. Anderson" wrote:

Start out with buckets of old derailleurs in
your lobby and you're going the wrong way. And to top it off, when you deal
in used stuff, there are issues about what happens if stuff doesn't
work...is there a warranty implied? It's tricky..people expect that when
they pay for something, it will work. And they'll come back and take up a
lot of your time trying to figure out why it doesn't work, only to find out
the piece or bike is bent or mangled in some way. So, it's a tricky deal.
It's kinda like owning a wreckers versus owning a new auto parts place.
That may illustrate the difference more clearly.

Our Community Bikes! started as the store front of a non-profit group
involved with sending bicycles to Africa and building pedal powered
agricultural equipment with Maya groups in Guatemala. The shop is
successful and has become self-funding.

Besides selling parts, they rent the tools and repair stands for $5
hr. or $10 with verbal instruction or $15 hr. with hands-on
instruction. Used goods can be returned for exchange or credit, new
goods returned for cash refunds.

OCB! is without doubt one of the coolest bike shops on this continent.
http://www.pedalpower.org/ocb.html

They're affiliated with Bike Kitchen on the UBC campus to serve that
community by offering repair facilities, instruction, parts and
accessories.

Bike Works has employed a similar formula with their start-up. They're
doing good work serving their local community, building cargo trikes
and supporting a bike cartage operation.

We're very fortunate to have these resources available.
--
zk
Old December 8th 03, 07:56 PM
Frank Miles

In article ,
Matt J wrote:
I've noticed that most shops around here don't really do much selling
of old used stuff. I've had some luck with one guy at one shop, but I
think it's him and not the shop that sells stuff. Is there a reason
for this? Do shops not want to get a rep for selling used parts? Are
there liability issues of some sort?

Around Seattle there are some shops that have used bikes, two of which
have _mostly_ used bikes/equipment. They seem to have a pretty good business,
both having moved into larger quarters or otherwise expanded in the
last 3-4 years. Still, they are a distinct minority.

-frank
Old December 8th 03, 08:37 PM
Matt O'Toole

"Matt J" wrote in message
om...

I've noticed that most shops around here don't really do much selling
of old used stuff. I've had some luck with one guy at one shop, but I
think it's him and not the shop that sells stuff. Is there a reason
for this?

We have a shop here that sells a lot of used bikes, parts, and NOS and vintage.
I've seen some other shops like this too. They're not common but they do exist.

Do shops not want to get a rep for selling used parts?

I don't think that's an issue.

Are
there liability issues of some sort?

Yes, and warranty. Imagine selling someone a bike with a drivetrain that's
almost but not quite worn out. He uses the bike to commute to school and work,
and within a month it needs three new chainrings, a cassette, and a new chain.
There goes all your profit, and then some.

If it matters, I'm just north of Chicago (Evanston).

The area has a lot to do with it too. First, the business has to meet the needs
of the local market, and there are usually a lot more people looking for shiny
new bikes for $3-500 than beaters for $100. Nowadays the average joe can go to
Wal-Mart and get a brand new bike for under $100. People who know bikes don't
need to go to a bike shop -- they can shop the classifieds, and/or garage sales.
Second, shopkeepers have to pay their rent -- and you can't pay metro area rents
by selling $100 used bikes and $10 chainrings. If you live in a small town or
depressed area where the rent is literally 1/10 as much, it may be a whole
'nother story.

Matt O.

Old December 8th 03, 09:03 PM
Jacobe Hazzard

Zoot Katz wrote:
Mon, 08 Dec 2003 01:34:33 -0500,
, "David L. Johnson"
wrote:

The only retail dealers I can think of who sell used
stuff are car dealers. But who wants the reputation
that used car dealers have? Certainly not for the price
of a used bicycle.

Our Community Bikes! has a large inventory of used parts.
It's arguably the greater part of their business for the
past 10 years. http://www.pedalpower.org/ocb.html

Another community initiative is called Bike Works that
has a huge selection of used parts.
http://www.unitedwecan.ca/

They both sell new parts too but not complete new
bicycles. Used bikes can be purchased reconditioned or
as-is.

They're great resources to have so I do my bit to support
them.

Do you know of any oranizations like these that exist in Toronto?

Old December 8th 03, 09:04 PM
Thomas Reynolds

"David L. Johnson" wrote in message ...
[...]

This doesn't help the OP in Chicago but in San Diego there is a great
used bike store call Pedal Pushing Power. They have been in business
for years. I buy small items from them all the time. The OP may
contact them directly to see if they will sell things thru the mail.

Tom
Old December 8th 03, 09:11 PM
Benjamin Weiner

David L. Johnson wrote:

Does any other retail business get into the business of used merchandise?
There are, of course, huge issues in selling used stuff. It would have to
be sold "as is", which we tend to accept from individuals, but not from
retail outlets. Buy a used frame for cheap. It breaks. What do you do?
You go back to the store you bought it from, if you bought it from a
store. For the small amount the dealer would make on the transaction, who
needs the hassle?

The only retail dealers I can think of who sell used stuff are car
dealers. But who wants the reputation that used car dealers have?
Certainly not for the price of a used bicycle.

I don't disagree with your points, but I can think of a couple of
other examples. Photo stores often sell used cameras (high value,
low space requirement). Same for musical instrument stores. There
are many used book and record stores, though selling "media" is rather
different than selling "stuff." There are some businesses that deal
in secondhand large appliances (refrigerators, etc).

In general, selling secondhand things has probably suffered just
like being in a repair business - because new stuff is so cheap and
(domestic) labor costs high by comparison.

Anyway, often in a college town you will find some store selling
used bikes. Usually not much exotic.