Two seat unicycle

Old October 23rd 03, 12:14 AM
mike.hinson

Default Two seat unicycle

I found this on Jeff Lutkus' web site

http://lutkus.com/photos/ejc2002/tandem%20unicycle.jpg

Then I started looking for other threads discussing tandem unicycles &
found this:

http://tinyurl.com/ryxd

I bet there are more out there too, do we have any pairs of unicyclists
that have tried to ride such a contraption?

Here's a couple more pictures of the one on Jeff's web site:
http://lutkus.org/photos/ejc2002/2seat%20unicycle.jpg
http://lutkus.org/photos/ejc2002/2seat%20unicycle2.jpg

/\/\

--
mike.hinson - Unicyclist since Nov 2000
mike.hinson's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1652

Old October 23rd 03, 05:05 PM
Ken Fuchs

Default Tandem unicycle (Two seat unicycle)

"mike.hinson" wrote:

Then I started looking for other threads discussing tandem unicycles &
found this:

http://tinyurl.com/ryxd

I bet there are more out there too, do we have any pairs of unicyclists
that have tried to ride such a contraption?

An http://www.google.com/ search for "tandem unicycle" comes up with 26
unique out of 264 total hits. Tell google to display all 264 hits,
otherwise you will miss a lot of good URLs. I will list the URLs that
provide useful information rather than simple mentions of the phrase
etc., in the order that google provided them:

http://www.unicycling.org/unicycling...mail/4277.html

The fixed up text diagram from the above URL is:

20"
3" long seat tube - | | ^
1" sq. x 15" tubing - | | 19"
2" sq. x 18" tubing - |______| v
2" x .25" x 10" flats - /||\ ^_ 10"
\__/

http://www.unicycling.org/unicycling...mail/4268.html

http://www.unicycling.org/unicycling/btdt/unique.html

Scroll down to "Tandem".

http://www.unicycling.org/unicycling...mail/2145.html

The second last paragraph in Beirne Konarski's post mentions a tandem:

"I ended up spending more time talking to people and sharing hints rather than
watching events. Ken Fuchs brought a nice selection of unicycles, including
a tandem unicycle and a BC wheel. Sem Abrahams rode the tandem through the
gym with Ken, and with a variety other backseat riders. It was fun to watch,
and they were getting pretty good at it, but it had the look of a Keystone
Cops routine."

http://www.unicycling.org/pipermail/...il/008605.html

http://www.unicycling.org/unicycling...mail/4265.html

Near the end of his post, Robert Knight said:

"The latest project is a tandem unicycle for Sam and myself to ride (or attempt
to ride) its not finished yet but I'll keep you posted."

http://www.unicycling.org/pipermail/...er/000817.html

http://lutkus.com/germany/ejc2002/

The tandem_unicycle.jpg, 2seat_unicycle.jpg and 2seat_unicycle2.jpg were
referenced in mike.hinson's original post:

http://www.velorution.blogspot.com/

Scroll down to Friday, October 17, 2003

A google search of "two seater unicycle" provides:

http://www.caslon.com.au/biographies/shannon.htm:

" Apart from inventing a rocket-powered Frisbee and juggling eggs while
riding his unicycle through academic buildings, Shannon was famous for
his interest in automata and toys, with a collection that included seven
chess machines, mechanical rats, a petrol-powered pogo-stick, a
two-seater unicycle, a WC Fields automaton, a machine to solve the Rubik
cube and a Roman numeral-based calculator."

Does any know what kind of tandem unicycle Dr. Shannon had? Front-back
is the type usually implied and the subject of this post, but there are
also side by side and the top-bottom "tandem".

I will post more tandem unicycle info shortly.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs

Old October 23rd 03, 05:19 PM
Ken Fuchs

"mike.hinson" wrote:

Then I started looking for other threads discussing tandem unicycles &
found this:

http://tinyurl.com/ryxd

I bet there are more out there too, do we have any pairs of unicyclists
that have tried to ride such a contraption?

Here's the design of the tandem unicycle that Tom Miller and I built
together in the Summer of 1990:
___
|+|| to tighten around 13/16" outside diameter seat post |+|| ___
| || - 16" x 1.25" square tubing (outside) ~1/8" thick - | || |
| || | || |
| || | || |
| || | || |
| || | || |
| || | ||
| || | ||
| || | || |
| || | || |
| || | || |
| || | || |
| || | || |
| || | || |
/ \-------------------------+-----+-------------------------/ \\ ---
| + | | + | | + || 2"
\_ _/_________________________| |_________________________\_ _// ___
`-' | | `-'
A | | - 5.5" x 2" x 3/16" 3.5"
A | |-----| reinforcing plate | | ___
| | |
2" x 2.25" | | | - 12" x 2" x 3/16" 5"
inside dia. | | | wheel fork plate | |
round tubing | | +-+ | ---
for crank set | | | | | - 2.5" x 7/16" 2.5"
| |_| |_| axle slot ___
| |
| | |
|----------+------------ 17.75" ----------------------|
| 2" square tubing |
| |
|----------------------------- 20" ---------------------------|
| crank set center to crank set center |

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs

Old October 23rd 03, 06:00 PM
Ken Fuchs

"mike.hinson" wrote:

Then I started looking for other threads discussing tandem unicycles &
found this:

http://tinyurl.com/ryxd

I bet there are more out there too, do we have any pairs of unicyclists
that have tried to ride such a contraption?

There is a rec.sport.unicycling post on 1 Sep 1997 by Lars Burgstahler
which mentions the following ride:

Klaus and Roland Bartl, from Munich rode on a tandem unicycle, 70 km
along the Danube river from Passau, Germany to Linz, Austria.

Lars also mentioned that he (Lars) and Klaus rode together for 25 m.
Lars also says that Claus can free-mount the tandem with either his
brother or his girlfriend.

Several Twin Cities unicyclists rode my tandem in the early 1990's with
and without me riding. Thus, there were several pairs of riders who
could ride the tandem.

The Redford Township Unicycle club had a tandem unicycle built by Mark
Brichford many years ago. It isn't known whether that cycle was ever
successfully ridden, but Mark built another tandem a few years ago which
club members have ridden.

Double Magazine (a magazine for tandem bicycle riders) was going to
write an article about tandem unicycles a little over a year ago, but
I've heard nothing about it.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs

Old October 23rd 03, 06:08 PM
john_childs

Ken Fuchs wrote:
*
Here's the design of the tandem unicycle that Tom Miller and I built
together in the Summer of 1990:
*

The formatting didn't survive the trip to the forum. I'll copy the
ASCII art with the formatting for the forum:

Code:
--------------------

Here's the design of the tandem unicycle that Tom Miller and I built
together in the Summer of 1990:
___
|+|| to tighten around 13/16" outside diameter seat post |+|| ___
| || - 16" x 1.25" square tubing (outside) ~1/8" thick - | || |
| || | || |
| || | || |
| || | || |
| || | || |
| || | ||
| || | ||
| || | || |
| || | || |
| || | || |
| || | || |
| || | || |
| || | || |
/ \-------------------------+-----+-------------------------/ \\ ---
| + | | + | | + || 2"
\_ _/_________________________| |_________________________\_ _// ___
`-' | | `-'
A | | - 5.5" x 2" x 3/16" 3.5"
A | |-----| reinforcing plate | | ___
| | |
2" x 2.25" | | | - 12" x 2" x 3/16" 5"
inside dia. | | | wheel fork plate | |
round tubing | | +-+ | ---
for crank set | | | | | - 2.5" x 7/16" 2.5"
| |_| |_| axle slot ___
| |
| | |
|----------+------------ 17.75" ----------------------|
| 2" square tubing |
| |
|----------------------------- 20" ---------------------------|
| crank set center to crank set center |

--------------------

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old October 23rd 03, 06:17 PM
john_childs

Ken Fuchs wrote:
*
http://tinyurl.com/s2s5

The fixed up text diagram from the above URL is:

20"
3" long seat tube - | | ^
1" sq. x 15" tubing - | | 19"
2" sq. x 18" tubing - |______| v
2" x .25" x 10" flats - /||\ ^_ 10"
\__/
*

That ASCII diagram didn't survive here in the forum. Here it is
formatted so the forum readers can see it.

Code:
--------------------

20"
3" long seat tube - | | ^
1" sq. x 15" tubing - | | 19"
2" sq. x 18" tubing - |______| v
2" x .25" x 10" flats - /||\ ^_ 10"
\__/

--------------------

Old October 23rd 03, 06:35 PM
Ken Fuchs

"mike.hinson" wrote:

Then I started looking for other threads discussing tandem unicycles &
found this:

http://tinyurl.com/ryxd

I bet there are more out there too, do we have any pairs of unicyclists
that have tried to ride such a contraption?

I just tried "tandem unicycle" in http://groups.google.com/ and came up
with a list of 67 out of a total of 128. The interesting ones are
listed below in the order provided by Google:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%2...ent.com&rnum=1

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%2...g.o rg&rnum=2

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%2...t.com &rnum=3

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%2...t.co m&rnum=4

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%2...ll.nl&rnum =6

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%2....o rg&rnum=14

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%2....ac.uk&rnum=17

Generally, the only links worth looking at were the rec.sport.unicycling
ones.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs
Old October 23rd 03, 08:23 PM
Ken Fuchs

john_childs wrote:

Ken Fuchs wrote:
*
Here's the design of the tandem unicycle that Tom Miller and I built
together in the Summer of 1990:
*

The formatting didn't survive the trip to the forum. I'll copy the
ASCII art with the formatting for the forum:

Code:
--------------------

So this starts ASCII art mode?

--------------------

And this ends ASCII art mode?

Sorry, I never use the forums, except when tracking down problems like
this or when I really want to send a personal message to a forum member.

Thank you John!

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs
Old October 23rd 03, 08:44 PM
johnfoss

Ken Fuchs wrote:
*The Redford Township Unicycle club had a tandem unicycle built by
Mark Brichford many years ago. It isn't known whether that cycle was
ever successfully ridden, but Mark built another tandem a few years
ago which club members have ridden.*

If I remember correctly, the original tandem Mark built was too flexy. I
think the flex problem kept people from learning the skills to ride that
one. I remember seeing it on the wall in the garage the first time I was
in there; 1980.

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"In three months or so, he won't be doing that any more." -- Kris Holm's
cousin Derek, 13, on Kris' unicycling now that he's married

Old October 23rd 03, 08:53 PM
john_childs

Ken Fuchs wrote:
*
Code:
--------------------

So this starts ASCII art mode?

--------------------

And this ends ASCII art mode?

Sorry, I never use the forums, except when tracking down problems like
this or when I really want to send a personal message to a forum
member.

Thank you John!

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs
*
[/color]

The forum has some special markup codes that are similar to HTML codes
for formatting messages. One of them is the CODE tag for inserting
formatted text like source code and ASCII art.

Unfortunately the messages imported from the newsgroup seem to loose all
leading white space so ASCII art doesn't survive the process of being
imported into the forum. I copied the ASCII art from the newsgroup and
pasted it inside the CODE tags in a forum message and now the forum
users can see the ASCII art in all its glory.