Who has crashed more than Tyler ?

Old August 20th 03, 10:44 PM
MT

Default Who has crashed more than Tyler ?

Tyler Hamilton has more determination and toughness than any rider on
the planet. That is just a fact.

But after his gruesome crash at the Tour of Holland today, I just
can't think of another rider who has hit the pavement more than he
has.

Does anyone know of a rider who has crashed more times than Tyler? It
seems unbelievable, because the guy is clearly one of the most skilled
riders in the world. Is it just bad luck, or is there something more
to it?

All the world champions get to wear the rainbow stripes. Band-aid
should make an adhesive-strip jersey for the guy as the toughest, most
accident prone rider in the peloton. It is hard to watch such a great
guy get shredded.

Forza Tyler!
Old August 20th 03, 10:58 PM
David N. Welton

http://velonews.gadoz.com/images/int/4859.5984.f.jpg

Does anyone know of a rider who has crashed more times than Tyler?
It seems unbelievable, because the guy is clearly one of the most
skilled riders in the world. Is it just bad luck, or is there
something more to it?

I can't believe it's just bad luck.

All the world champions get to wear the rainbow stripes. Band-aid
should make an adhesive-strip jersey for the guy as the toughest,
most accident prone rider in the peloton. It is hard to watch such
a great guy get shredded.

I agree... it's pretty frustrating too. You want to see the guy do
well, and *whap*, down he goes again:-( I can't immagine how it must
be for him.

--
David N. Welton
Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/
Old August 20th 03, 11:15 PM
gwhite

MT wrote:

Does anyone know of a rider who has crashed more times than Tyler?

For the past year I think that would be me.
Old August 21st 03, 12:14 AM
Jiyang Chen

Does anyone know of a rider who has crashed more times than Tyler

Scott Sunderland?

Old August 21st 03, 03:23 AM
MortDubois

snip
Does anyone know of a rider who has crashed more times than Tyler?
It seems unbelievable, because the guy is clearly one of the most
skilled riders in the world. Is it just bad luck, or is there
something more to it?

I can't believe it's just bad luck.

snip

I'll go out on a limb here, but cycling is not a sport where the most
coordinated are necessarily the best - it rewards aerobic capacity
more than anything else. I have personally seen many very strong
riders who were, putting it kindly, spazzes. Maybe Tyler crashes so
often because he isn't athletic enough to avoid doing so.

Mort

Old August 21st 03, 03:38 AM
Carl Sundquist

"MortDubois" wrote in message

I'll go out on a limb here, but cycling is not a sport where the most
coordinated are necessarily the best - it rewards aerobic capacity
more than anything else. I have personally seen many very strong
riders who were, putting it kindly, spazzes. Maybe Tyler crashes so
often because he isn't athletic enough to avoid doing so.

While I'm inclined to agree with you about the coordination part (ever watch
a 5 on 5 pickup basketball game between bike racers?), Tyler's individual
history as a skier would contradict that generalization.

Old August 21st 03, 03:49 AM
Kurgan Gringioni

"Carl Sundquist" wrote in message

While I'm inclined to agree with you about the coordination part (ever

watch
a 5 on 5 pickup basketball game between bike racers?), Tyler's individual
history as a skier would contradict that generalization.

Dumbass -

I concur.

Skiing is all balance and power.

Bike handling is all balance.

Old August 21st 03, 04:09 AM
Carl Sundquist

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in
message ...

"Carl Sundquist" wrote in message

While I'm inclined to agree with you about the coordination part (ever

watch
a 5 on 5 pickup basketball game between bike racers?), Tyler's

individual
history as a skier would contradict that generalization.

Dumbass -

I concur.

Skiing is all balance and power.

Bike handling is all balance.

If you consider balance to be quick decision-making, hand-eye (or
hand-eye-foot) coordination, and excellent timing then I agree with you.

Also, the importance of handling a bike is not nearly as critical as being
able to handle your skis in determining success.

Old August 21st 03, 04:57 AM
Nick Burns

"Carl Sundquist" wrote in message

While I'm inclined to agree with you about the coordination part (ever

watch
a 5 on 5 pickup basketball game between bike racers?), Tyler's individual
history as a skier would contradict that generalization.

I am guessing that Tyler has one or two bad habits that put him at risk.
Maybe he is not skilled at picking a line through a turn on concrete (as
opposed to snow) or maybe he tends to follow to close, or not look at the
right places...or or or

IOW, he is missing one or more cycling specific skills.

There is clearly something going on beyond poor luck.