Defeat the Bic-pick

Old October 5th 04, 04:08 AM
Leo Lichtman

"Dane Jackson" wrote: What kind of Kryptonite lock? What kind of torch?
(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It was a U-lock, but, since you press me for specifics, I cannot say for
sure it was a Kryptanite--it could have been. The torch was a Victor
oxy-acetylene cutting torch.

The comment was meant to point out that NO lock is strong enough to resist a
sufficiently determined attack. In no way was it meant to be critical of
the Kryptanite lock, or any other lock. If welding up a guard makes the
lock harder to pick, then it might be worth doing for some people,
particularly while they are waiting for Kryptanite to come through with
their replacements.

Old October 5th 04, 05:04 AM
BringYouToLife

I had no idea you could pick a kyptonite lock with a bic pin, but
thanks for the info, I will try it.
Old October 5th 04, 07:08 AM
Dan Daniel

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=67493
Old October 5th 04, 09:07 PM
John Thompson

On 2004-10-04, Dane Jackson wrote:

Leo Lichtman wrote:

I was able to cut a Kryptonite lock a while back with a torch, in a few
seconds. There is no fully safe way to lock a bike.

What kind of Kryptonite lock? What kind of torch?

Are we talking their thinnest cable lock and a lancing rod?
Or are we talking a full U-lock and a propane torch?

I'm not defending them either way (I own no Krypto stock, nor any
of their locks). But you can't drop that sort of statement into
the thread without clarification.

I'd be surprised if a harware store type air/propane torch could cut a
Kryptonite lock; oxy/propane or oxy/acetylene should be no problem. But
then again, a little liquid nitrogen and a big hammer works pretty well
also.

--

-John )
Old October 7th 04, 07:31 PM
Michael

On 2004-10-03, Leo Lichtman wrote:

I have thought of a way to stop people from picking your Kryptonite lock
with a Bic pen. It works by placing a steel barrier a short distance above
the keyway, allowing the key to enter and turn, but preventing a longer
object, like a Bic pen from going straight in. I don't believe a pen
inserted at an angle has any hope of opening the lock.

I'm happy to report that my ~25 year old "original" Kryptonite and my ~10
year old Kryptonite 4 locks both appear to be immune to the "Bic-pick."

--

-John )

Hmmm ... If memory serves, the original Krypto U-lock used a
separate, user supplied padlock. I believe it was the 2nd (3rd?)
iteration Krypto U-lock that had a built-in lock.

That said, my Krypto - at least 20 years old - has the built-in tubular
lock and also seems immune to the BIC trick.

(aside) I was suprised last weekend to see tubular key Krypto U-locks
(USD14+) still on the shelf at a local high-end sports store.

Michael
Old October 8th 04, 05:07 PM
John Thompson

On 2004-10-07, Michael wrote:

John Thompson wrote:

I'm happy to report that my ~25 year old "original" Kryptonite and my ~10
year old Kryptonite 4 locks both appear to be immune to the "Bic-pick."

Hmmm ... If memory serves, the original Krypto U-lock used a
separate, user supplied padlock. I believe it was the 2nd (3rd?)
iteration Krypto U-lock that had a built-in lock.

Maybe 2nd generation, then. I have two of these locks (flat hardened
steel rather than round like the new ones).

--

-John )