Folding Anyone?

Old November 27th 05, 04:33 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

Default Folding Anyone?

Carl wrote:

SHEESH!
wHAT happENED To my thREAd?

"And Now for Something Completely Different"

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley
"john dear owns a tuscany reserve next door to the bay shore folks" -

Old November 27th 05, 04:42 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

SHEESH!
wHAT happENED To my thREAd?
I inquired about Worksman Folding Trikes!!!
Carl
Carl, the trike you want information on is not a recumbent trike. This
is an "upright free zone" so you can't blame these people for talking
about birds and coconuts.
Tadpole pilot,
Mark

--
nget

Old November 27th 05, 09:35 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Carl wrote:
I have become old enough that an Adult Tricycle looks attractive. I used to
ride a 2-wheeler with derailleur shifting, but now have an equilibrium
problem.

Am considering a Worksman Folding Port-A-Trike, 3-speed. After folding, will
fit in the back of my car, which is an advantage to me.

This is a request for comments about the Worksman Port-A-Trike in
particular, folding trikes in general, and adult trikes in general. I have
never ridden or even seen one.

If you can afford it:
http://www.greenspeed.com.au/NewGSweb/web-content/australia/models/design/gt3desgn.html
or
http://www.greenspeed.com.au/NewGSweb/web-content/usa/modusa/gt3.html
for USians.

Greenspeed is one of the "senior" trike manufacturers, and has
consistently produced high quality trikes. The $2,600 price is entirely
reasonable for a trike of this quality.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old November 27th 05, 09:50 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic wrote:

"But then of course a-- African swallows are non-migratory."

It could be on a recumbent tour (to bring it neatly back on topic) ;-)

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham
Old November 27th 05, 09:55 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

Carl wrote:

SHEESH!
wHAT happENED To my thREAd?
I inquired about Worksman Folding Trikes!!!
Carl

In that case... have you also considered anything like the Di Blasi
folding trike (http://www.diblasi.it/ )?

Old November 28th 05, 12:43 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

"George Cherry" wrote in
message ...

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"George Cherry" wrote: (clip) I want my feet at about the level of my
heart. Trikes don't do that.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
George, do you have a theory for why the heart should be at the same
elevation as the feet? Would you share?

Several million years of primate evolution has fashioned us. We are
upright bipedal creatures, not sloths which hang upside down by their
tails from trees. Our cardiovascular system (this includes the heart) is
designed to function with our legs below the heart. Elementary my dear
Watson!

In what position do you sleep at night?
Don't regress--be sure you sleep in an
upright position.

My legs are at the level of the heart, not above it. However, this is a
resting position. When you are cycling, that is a working position. We are
best postitoned for work with our legs below our hearts because of our
evolution as upright bipedal creatures.
[...]

It goes against our evolution.

Yeah, so do airplanes. If human beings were
meant to fly, they would have evolved wings.

Technology and inventions don't count when we are discussing human
evolution. As far as I know, there has been no further human evolution for
several hundred thousand years, in other words, not since we became Homo
sapiens.

I note that even Bacchetta is now coming out with a recumbent bike that
is lowering the BB to a sensible level (the Agio).

I'll take a look.

George, these kind of bikes are greatly underrated because they do not offer
the ultimate in aerodynamics. But the positioning of the body on the bike is
ideal. The legs are slightly below the hips. This is an extremely powerful
pedaling position and also offers good control of the bike. I repeat what I
have previously said: all bikes with high BB's are insane. It goes against
our evolution as upright bipedal creatures.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old November 28th 05, 12:55 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

"George Cherry" wrote in
message ...

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"George Cherry" wrote: (clip) I want my feet at about the level of my
heart. Trikes don't do that.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
George, do you have a theory for why the heart should be at the same
elevation as the feet? Would you share?

The veins in my legs and feet are--ouch!-- "incompetent".
That's the medical diagnosis. The medical prescription
is to elevate my legs (ideally to the level of my heart).
When I must stand or sit, I must wear high-compression
support stockings. Walking's better than standing--
because the muscle action helps pump the bood from
my lower extremities back to my heart. A recumbent
bike appeared an ideal way for me to stay active and
mobile.

George

Groups trimmed to ARBR only.

Our bodies break down for one reason or another as we age. I do not think
Nature intended that we humans live much past 30 years of age. By 40 we are
old, not to say ancient.

There is a resting position for the body and a working position for the
body. I will admit we are having so much fun riding our recumbents that we
don't think of it as work, but that is actually what we are doing. We are
working when we ride our recumbents.

Provided you are young and healthy, you want your legs below your hips, just
as you do when you are walking. Never forget we are designed for walking
above all else. That is our destiny as given to us by our evolution.

When I can no longer ride a bicycle, I will still want to walk. Walking is
basic, cycling is not.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old November 28th 05, 11:22 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

Tony Raven wrote:

Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic wrote:
Tony Raven wrote:
wvantwiller wrote:
For the uninitiated, that sort of reasoning comes under the
category of "Are You Suggesting Coconuts Migrate", doesn't it??

"They could have been carried by a swallow" ;-)

"It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of
weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound
coconut."

It could be carried by an African swallow

Get yer trousers on sunshine, you're nicked!

--
The Python Police
Scotland Yard

Old November 28th 05, 12:45 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

Tony Raven wrote:
wvantwiller wrote:
For the uninitiated, that sort of reasoning comes under the
category of "Are You Suggesting Coconuts Migrate", doesn't it??

"They could have been carried by a swallow" ;-)

"It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of
weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound
coconut."

It could be carried by an African swallow

Get yer trousers on sunshine, you're nicked!

I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition!

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old November 28th 05, 01:14 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

Tony Raven wrote:
wvantwiller wrote:

For the uninitiated, that sort of reasoning comes under the
category of "Are You Suggesting Coconuts Migrate", doesn't it??

"They could have been carried by a swallow" ;-)

"It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of
weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound
coconut."

It could be carried by an African swallow

Get yer trousers on sunshine, you're nicked!

I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition!

The only reason this thread is still on its perch is because it's been
nailed to it!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Folding Anyone? Carl General 28 November 29th 05 08:03 PM
How to Park a Folding Bike? Elisa Francesca Roselli General 31 November 16th 04 10:46 PM
Issues with folding bicycles on European trains? Tom Worthington UK 52 July 16th 04 06:47 PM
Issues with folding bicycles on European trains? Tom Worthington Australia 39 July 16th 04 06:47 PM
Which kind of folding bike 2 buy? danscott7 General 1 September 28th 03 04:26 AM