Suburban Living Less Healthy

Old October 1st 04, 06:24 AM
Martin Krieg

Default Suburban Living Less Healthy

According to a recent study done by the Rand Corporation, if U live in
a city, you will have much better health than someone living in the
suburbs. This is largely so because, in most of America's less densely
populated areas, schools and homes and shopping services are separated
by roads that are not walkable or unsafe for cycling.

The study:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/09/27....ap/index.html
Old October 1st 04, 08:57 PM
Dick Durbin

Martin Krieg wrote in message ...
According to a recent study done by the Rand Corporation, if U live in
a city, you will have much better health than someone living in the
suburbs. This is largely so because, in most of America's less densely
populated areas, schools and homes and shopping services are separated
by roads that are not walkable or unsafe for cycling.

The study:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/09/27....ap/index.html

The "study" was a telephone survey.

Dick Durbin
staying quite active in suburban Tallahassee
Old October 1st 04, 09:45 PM
Terry Morse

Dick Durbin wrote:

The "study" was a telephone survey.

And that fact it pertinent because...?

Old October 2nd 04, 03:15 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Martin Krieg writes:
According to a recent study done by the Rand Corporation, if U live in
a city, you will have much better health than someone living in the
suburbs. This is largely so because, in most of America's less densely
populated areas, schools and homes and shopping services are separated
by roads that are not walkable or unsafe for cycling.

The study:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/09/27....ap/index.html

In my own local experience, a lot of it has to do with topography.
My home city of Vancouver, BC, being a port city on the west
coast of North America, generally gets its air 'refreshed' by
the Prevailing Westerlies ... which blow the city's air pollution
to all the suburbs east, and downwind, and up-river of us. So
Vancouver (Proper) frequently has cleaner air than our eastern
suburbs, whose air we sully. Sometimes we get thermal inversions
which give us a taste of our own medicine, but those are almost
fleetingly temporary.

Anyhow, if anyone /must/ live in suburbia -- try to be upwind
of urbia.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old October 2nd 04, 11:15 AM
Dick Durbin

Terry Morse wrote in message ...
Dick Durbin wrote:

The "study" was a telephone survey.

And that fact it pertinent because...?

Tell me what result you want and I'll design a telephone survey to
deliver those results. Resources are readily available to produce an
impartial study based on facts, not opinions or perceptions.

Don't get me wrong here, I am not questioning the findings of the
study, just the methodology.

Dick Durbin
Old October 2nd 04, 06:03 PM
Peter Cole

om...

Dick Durbin wrote:

The "study" was a telephone survey.

And that fact it pertinent because...?

Tell me what result you want and I'll design a telephone survey to
deliver those results. Resources are readily available to produce an
impartial study based on facts, not opinions or perceptions.

Don't get me wrong here, I am not questioning the findings of the
study, just the methodology.

It's easy to confirm these results. Just go to a suburban mall and look
around.

Old October 2nd 04, 07:24 PM
Peter Cole

Subject: Suburban Living Less Healthy
From: "Peter Cole"

"Dick Durbin"
Don't get me wrong here, I am not questioning the findings of the
study, just the methodology.

It's easy to confirm these results. Just go to a suburban mall and look
around.

What's the point to all this?
Several people on this group admit they're fat and they cycle also.
Most of us probably look better than average and are healthy, but we can

only
be responsible for ourselves.

Nobody mentioned obesity, either on this thread or in the referenced
article. Suburban lifestyle makes for less incidental walking and cycling.
It is beginning to look more & more like it's the sedentary lifestyle
that's causing so much decline in health. This also contributes to obesity,
but inactivity is a killer. There are many among the heavyweight that are
quite healthy, there will always be a statistical spread, but they're
becoming ever more the exception. More people are heavy, but more
importantly, more people are sedentary. Working and shopping in the suburbs
is hard to do via walking or cycling because of the distances, the lack of
intermodal facilities, and the general lack of accommodation of anything
other than a car.

It's not just that people in the mall look fat, they look unhealthy, even
the skinny ones.

Old October 2nd 04, 08:12 PM
Eric S. Sande

It's not just that people in the mall look fat, they look unhealthy,
even the skinny ones.

From a public health perspective this may very well be true. However
cycling can be a rewarding activity if practiced regularly.

I've certainly seen many healthy fat people, not so many healthy obese
people.

My brother's wife (anecdotally) stated that my family "Always was
slim, none of you are fat." Which is not strictly true, I have been
fat on occasion.

But my point is, good nutrition and regular exercise will keep you
out of a world of trouble. I favor bicycling and regular administration
of beer, pizza, and Chinese take-out.

Along with aspirin and multivitamins.

Look at the muscle tone to determine if the "mall skinny people"
are healthy. If their hands are clammy and their skin is loose then
they aren't exercising enough.

--

------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old October 2nd 04, 09:01 PM
Zippy the Pinhead

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 13:45:02 -0700, Terry Morse
wrote:

The "study" was a telephone survey.

And that fact it pertinent because...?

Because they just called people up and asked them annoying little
"fill-in-the-blank" questions.