Suburban Living Less Healthy

Old October 3rd 04, 01:16 AM
Rush

All these new suburbs around here, there's almost no consideration for
biking. Nobody rides their bikes, because there's an endless stream
of traffic in all directions. You can barely cross the road because
there's never any break in the traffic. You are forced to ride on the
sidewalk, and then you are subject to retards yelling out their
windows, throwing things, or psychos out prowling for hapless
pedestrians or bikers, hell you have 1,000 cars driving by, you know
there's a couple of them like that that are gonna drive by , the odds
are all for it.

There are no connecting paths through the suburbs, all they would
have to do is put in a couple 50 yard pathways, through someone's yard
to connect the suburb labyrinths, but not, you gotta sidewind through
a back and forth meandering, weaving series of sideroads to get
anywhere if you want to cut through.

Absolutely no thought in planning for bikes, none. And here we are
with gas going to 3 dollars a gallon, the world at war over oil, and
still, nobody has a clue.

I can ride my bike downtown in an hour, it takes a good 45 minutes
to drive there.

On a touring bike, you can easily average 25 miles per hour, how
many people live less than 13 miles from work? That means 1/2 hour
ride to work, 1/2 hour ride home, not much more than driving, plus,
these people then go to the gym and ride the stationary bike for an
hour. Insanity.
Old October 3rd 04, 02:05 AM
David L. Johnson

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 17:16:34 -0700, Rush wrote:

On a touring bike, you can easily average 25 miles per hour, how
many people live less than 13 miles from work?

Easily?

--

David L. Johnson

__o | It is a scientifically proven fact that a mid life crisis can
_`\(,_ | only be cured by something racy and Italian. Bianchis and
(_)/ (_) | Colnagos are a lot cheaper than Maserattis and Ferraris. --
Glenn Davies

Old October 3rd 04, 02:42 AM
Claire Petersky

"David L. Johnson" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 17:16:34 -0700, Rush wrote:

On a touring bike, you can easily average 25 miles per hour, how
many people live less than 13 miles from work?

Easily?

He meant 25 km/hour, doncha think?

Me, I regularly dawdle at about 12 -13 mph on the way to work, unless I have
some reason to ride faster.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old October 3rd 04, 04:30 AM
Jeff Starr

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 21:05:02 -0400, "David L. Johnson"
wrote:

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 17:16:34 -0700, Rush wrote:

On a touring bike, you can easily average 25 miles per hour, how
many people live less than 13 miles from work?

Easily?

That was my thought too;-) I have to work at it, to average 15 mph.
And 20 is an impossible dream for me. So 25, wow!

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old October 3rd 04, 04:49 AM
Eric S. Sande

On a touring bike, you can easily average 25 miles per hour,

Actually, I can't, but that's beside the point.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old October 3rd 04, 02:09 PM
Dick Durbin

"Peter Cole" wrote in message news:nbB7d.97377$wV.75926@attbi_s54...
"Dick Durbin" wrote in message
Don't get me wrong here, I am not questioning the findings of the
study, just the methodology.

It's easy to confirm these results. Just go to a suburban mall and look
around.

You can tell just by looking at them that suburbanites have more
"chronic health problems such as high blood pressure, arthritis,
headaches and breathing difficulties" just by looking at them? Man,
you're good.

Dick Durbin