Another free bike - Oh, joy!

Old October 3rd 04, 01:05 AM
Tom Keats

Default Another free bike - Oh, joy!

I recently acquired a thrown-away, rigid forked Norco Mountaineer --
the Paragon of 'sensible', commuterizable MTBs. Apparently its
previous ward had monkeyed around with it more than they knew how
to fix. The chain was threaded wrongly through the rear der, which
blew the shifting all to hell. One spoke on the non-drive side
of the rear wheel appeared to be broken; someone had bent and
twisted it around some adjacent spokes to keep it out of the way.
On closer examination the spoke wasn't broken at all. Someone
had undone, and presumably lost, its nipple. A cheap-o DT straight
gauge replacement spoke fixed that. The (V) brakes were way out
of whack and non-functional because of slack cables and horribly
untrue wheels. A little adjustment & wheel truing, and now they're
wonderfully positive.

With all these small but cumulatively incapacitating malfunctions
the bike was left out in previous owner's back lane next to the
garbage cans for whomever would take it. I would dare to presume
the previous owner became frustrated at his inability to restore
the bike to operational condition, and just wanted to get the damn
thing out of his sight. I was happy to oblige.

A scant 4 years ago, discarded bikes were mostly Bike Boom
"10-speeds" and prototypical MTBs (with the old fashioned
centre-pull canti brakes.) Now it seems we're up to Shimano
SIS grip shifters and V-brakes. Maybe in another 4 years we'll
be up to Marzocchi Bombers and Magura disc brakes.

I just want to say: 'Thank you' to all the impatient mechanical
klutzes and frobnicators out there. Keep 'em coming.

It's such a pretty bike. Red up front, fading to black stays in
the back. And black-&-white lizard scales on the drive-side
chainstay (I dunno if it's paint or a decal; I haven't looked
that closely at it.) So I think I'l name it 'Diana', after the
live-rat-eating, femme fatale antagonist in the old TV sci-fi
series: 'V'. Besides, it's got V brakes.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old October 3rd 04, 01:24 AM
maxo

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 17:05:13 -0700, Tom Keats wrote:

I just want to say: 'Thank you' to all the impatient mechanical klutzes
and frobnicators out there. Keep 'em coming.

I'm so envious! :P

Here in Nashville, it's next to never that you'll have such luck...

Bikes are such simple machines to fix. I just turned a
pile of rusty ebay bits into a super cool neighborhood bike for my mother.
Everything repacked, all new cables, chain and rubber. Total cost: under
150 USD and a lot niftier than something brand new.

I'm in the market for something similar to slap some slicks and fenders
onto, but even the thrift stores are spare, usually only having worthless
bent *mart bikes. I did luck out with my delightful Viscount that's a
great sporty daily rider, finding it at a Salivation Army.

If anybody in my part of the world wants to part with an old tourer, rigid
MTB, or decent three speed, let me know--I need a utility bike in a bad
way.

Old October 3rd 04, 03:31 AM
Zoot Katz

Sun, 03 Oct 2004 00:24:08 GMT,
,
maxo wrote:

I'm in the market for something similar to slap some slicks and fenders
onto, but even the thrift stores are spare, usually only having worthless
bent *mart bikes. I did luck out with my delightful Viscount that's a
great sporty daily rider, finding it at a Salivation Army.

There were two like that at my local SallyAnn yesterday. $35 and $29.
Both good deals in fair shape. The wheels were passable.

I'm holding out for anything with a good SW hub for ~$30.
--
zk
Old October 3rd 04, 07:20 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Zoot Katz wrote:

Sun, 03 Oct 2004 00:24:08 GMT,
,
maxo wrote:

I'm in the market for something similar to slap some slicks and fenders
onto, but even the thrift stores are spare, usually only having worthless
bent *mart bikes. I did luck out with my delightful Viscount that's a
great sporty daily rider, finding it at a Salivation Army.

There were two like that at my local SallyAnn yesterday. $35 and $29.
Both good deals in fair shape. The wheels were passable.

I'm holding out for anything with a good SW hub for ~$30.

What kind of a hub?

No seriously people: GARAGE SALES! DUMPSTERS! Tom knows where its at,
and Zoot does too. But Salvation Army? There's no hope.

My last score was a child's bike in working order but sans seat, a
Phillips (low-end Raleigh brand) lady's bike with a Sturmey-Archer AW
3-speed (the only part off the perfectly good bike that I wanted), and a
shedworn Motobecane with an all-french drivetrain, plus about 100
weirdly long (3' or so) spokes, all for $10.

http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine/wiredcol...e/DSC01131.jpg
http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine/wiredcol...e/DSC01136.jpg
http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine/wiredcol...e/DSC01135.jpg

Why yes, that is an Ideale 80 leather saddle in usable condition:

http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine/wiredcol...e/DSC01134.jpg

Garage sales!

PS: if anyone knows either the provenance or a reasonable use for these
high-wheeler-sized spokes, please tell me. All the nipples are in good
shape, but I suspect less than half of the spokes are reasonably
salvagable due to rust.

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.wiredcola.com
Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.
Old October 3rd 04, 08:43 AM
Zoot Katz

Sat, 02 Oct 2004 23:20:23 -0700,
, Ryan Cousineau
wrote:

I'm holding out for anything with a good SW hub for ~$30.

What kind of a hub?

No seriously people: GARAGE SALES! DUMPSTERS! Tom knows where its at,
and Zoot does too. But Salvation Army? There's no hope.

My last score was a child's bike in working order but sans seat, a
Phillips (low-end Raleigh brand) lady's bike with a Sturmey-Archer AW
3-speed (the only part off the perfectly good bike that I wanted), and a
shedworn Motobecane with an all-french drivetrain, plus about 100
weirdly long (3' or so) spokes, all for $10.

That's the hub I meant. The other one's a brain fart.

Ten bucks for three bikes is a gimme. Good score!

Rarely do I find worthwhile bikes at garage sales. But I've not been
looking hard either. I don't really have room or need for another bike
but if one comes my way I'll not turn it down. I have seen Shimano and
other off brand 3-spds at the local Sally Ann and it's a charitable
cause.

Maybe lace up a steel patio table rim with those spokes.
--
zk
Old October 3rd 04, 10:28 AM
Eric S. Sande

Rarely do I find worthwhile bikes at garage sales. But I've not been
looking hard either. I don't really have room or need for another bike
but if one comes my way I'll not turn it down.

I'll do the rounds of local places on the weekends, but I'm just
speculating. If I see a good deal I'll go for it but I'm not really
in the market for a bike right now.

Except that I'd like to replace my commuter with something in Ti,
that guy out in the West has that, I thought I'd ask him.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old October 3rd 04, 04:30 PM
Claire Petersky

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message
Sat, 02 Oct 2004 23:20:23 -0700,
, Ryan Cousineau
wrote:

Rarely do I find worthwhile bikes at garage sales.

Last summer I was riding along, and saw a garage sale. Two beautiful Kleins
parked out front. I immediately stopped my bike and asked. Turns out they
were being ridden by other customers. Oh well.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old October 3rd 04, 04:47 PM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Zoot Katz wrote:

Sat, 02 Oct 2004 23:20:23 -0700,
, Ryan Cousineau
wrote:

[...]

The secret to garage sale shopping is much like that of couture clothing
hunting at thrift stores: patience. I probably buy something at less
than a tenth of the garage sales I check out. That's a lot of
unfulfilling stops. But here's my one good hint, passed on from my
friend Dave:

If you don't see any bikes around, ask if they have any. The three-bike
score was at a garage sale with no bikes. I asked the fatal question,
and the guy running the sale walks me around the barn to look at a
couple of bicycles (this may amaze you, but I actually left one bike
behind. No steel-wheeled ten-speeds, thanks), and then mentioned that
his son had an old Motobecane that hadn't been used in some time, so a
few minutes later that gets dragged out of the basement where it's been
sitting since the bike boom.

So all that, and they didn't even think any of these bikes were
desireable enough to put in the sale.

Maybe lace up a steel patio table rim with those spokes.

Um....