Washing gloves

Old June 26th 05, 07:02 PM
Adam Bender

Default Washing gloves

I have some Pearl Izumi Gel-lite gloves. Are they washing machine
safe? How would you recommend I clean them?

Thanks,

Adam
Old June 26th 05, 07:30 PM
Dan

Adam Bender wrote:
I have some Pearl Izumi Gel-lite gloves. Are they washing machine
safe? How would you recommend I clean them?

Thanks,

Adam

I've got a pair of those. Says on the little tag they're machine
washable, but I usually just rinse them in cold water & hang them up to
dry. If the palms are dirty, trying washing them while you have them on
with a little bit of ivory liquid or similar, then hang to dry.

Dan
Old June 26th 05, 07:46 PM
Rich Clark

"Adam Bender" wrote in message
I have some Pearl Izumi Gel-lite gloves. Are they washing machine
safe? How would you recommend I clean them?

I have always machine-washed my gloves in cold water on a gentle cycle with
a little unscented clear detergent, along with my other cycling clothes. Be
sure to seal the velcro closures so they don't snag on other clothes. Air
dry. I've been doing this for years with all sorts of cycling gloves,
including some with gel inserts, without apparent damage to them.

But look for a care tag, or see in there's info on the PI site that would
give you more specific guidance.

RichC

Old June 26th 05, 08:36 PM
mrbubl

Adam Bender wrote:
I have some Pearl Izumi Gel-lite gloves. Are they washing machine
safe? How would you recommend I clean them?

Thanks,

Adam

machine was gentle, air dry....wash all of mine all the time
Old June 26th 05, 10:29 PM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman

I clean my gloves by hand, using a mild detergent, like Ivory Snow or
Woolite. When they dry out, I rub a little proofide on the outside to
replace the oils that the soap leaches out.

- -

"May you have the winds at your back,
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Old June 26th 05, 11:27 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

I have some Pearl Izumi Gel-lite gloves. Are they washing machine
safe? How would you recommend I clean them?

I always hand-wash my gloves in in a small salad bowl with a small amount of
Woolite, partly because it's better for the gloves, partly because most
gloves have velcro closures that snag other things in the washing machine,
and partly because it's cool seeing how disgustingly-dirty the water
becomes.

If you want them to dry quickly, use the same trick people do for drying
clothes when they travel. Lay a towel on the ground, put your glove on top
of the towel, and roll it up tightly. This will squeeze an amazing amount of
moisture out of them.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old June 27th 05, 01:55 AM
Claire Petersky

Adam Bender wrote in message ...
I have some Pearl Izumi Gel-lite gloves. Are they washing machine
safe? How would you recommend I clean them?

Toss them in the washing machine with your shorts. Make sure the velcro is
all sealed up, so they don't get caught on anything. Wash cold/gentle;
delicate cycle to dry or hang to dry.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:
http://bookcrossing.com/referr*al/Cpetersky

Old June 27th 05, 03:40 AM
Neil Brooks

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

I have some Pearl Izumi Gel-lite gloves. Are they washing machine
safe? How would you recommend I clean them?

I always hand-wash my gloves in in a small salad bowl with a small amount of
Woolite, partly because it's better for the gloves, partly because most
gloves have velcro closures that snag other things in the washing machine,
and partly because it's cool seeing how disgustingly-dirty the water
becomes.

If you want them to dry quickly, use the same trick people do for drying
clothes when they travel. Lay a towel on the ground, put your glove on top
of the towel, and roll it up tightly. This will squeeze an amazing amount of
moisture out of them.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Mine's kind of the low-rent version of Mike's method: dishwashing
liquid + left side of the sink. Wash (if tired, leave 'til next day),
rinse, roll in towel, step all over towel to absorb, then hang dry.

Good by morning.

I do this with all my biking clothes. (Especially with the tight(ish)
fit of most cycling clothes), I neither want shrink nor wear.

Old June 27th 05, 12:35 PM
Peter Cole

Adam Bender wrote:
I have some Pearl Izumi Gel-lite gloves. Are they washing machine
safe? How would you recommend I clean them?

I've used PI gloves for many years. They go into the machine with the
rest of my stuff, then hang dry. I wash all my stuff, including gloves,
after every ride. Gloves last for years if they're synthetic leather,
real leather dries up and splits. Almost all gloves are synthetic these
days. I don't use gel gloves any more, but they washed fine with the
exception of one cheap brand that bled blue dye.
Old June 27th 05, 08:12 PM
JerZFox

I've been machine washing my gloves for years. No problem unless
they're the old fashioned crocheted kind. Those tend to shrink.

Diana B.