Dealing with heat

Old June 27th 05, 08:46 PM

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:35:11 -0500, "Pat" wrote:

: 86 here in Tennessee with the midday sun and humidity in the 80s as well,
: is very very hot. When your sweat sticks to you like jello--it's hot!
:
: I rode a few days ago in 95 degree heat with 25% humidity--that, however,
: was perfectly bearable. The faster you went, the cooler you got. Nice.

Right now, it's 95 here and the humidity is 32%.

Pat in TX
:
:

Yesterday the temp here was 30 which is 86f. It wasn't as bad as
saturday when the humidity was brutal. Yesterday it was also cloudy
and so the sun wasn't a factor, but got more humid as the day went on.
ANd little wind. It was actually a great day, but you felt the heat
when you stopped. I did 106 k.
Old June 27th 05, 09:06 PM
Peter Cole

wafflycat wrote:

"catzz66" wrote in message

I started riding again last fall and had been riding about every day
till I broke my arm and collarbone which knocked me off schedule for a
few weeks. When that happened, the temps were in the 70s and 80s most
days. Now it is quite a lot hotter. How do you all deal with the heat?

I've been wearing light colored clothing, drinking lots of water, etc.
I also tried wearing sandals instead of running shoes and that seemed
to help as well. Usually I ride before the sun gets all the way up
and the heat has not been a problem, but on the weekends I ride longer
distances and can't really avoid it.

You need isotonic and not just plain water. When you sweat you lose
elctrolytes (salts) and you need to replace these. Isontonic drinks will
give you the elctrolytes easily absobed into you system and will give
you some sugars for energy too. Drink *before* you are thirsty and keep
drinking.

The only electrolyte you really need worry about is plain salt. That
doesn't usually present a problem for several hours (6-8) of heavy
sweating, unless you're drinking too much water (don't "drink before
you're thirsty"). Eat some salty snacks and you're good to go.
Old June 27th 05, 09:08 PM
Dan

Okay, I'm confused. you actually think 86 F is hot?

Pat in TX

You must be related to my wife. She describes anything below about 67
as "freezing".

I rode yesterday with a heat index (temp + humidity) of 99. Gotta be
freakin' hot in anyone's book this side of Mercury. I'll say this: I
tolerate it a LOT better on a moving bike than I do walking under the
same conditions.

Dan
Old June 27th 05, 09:22 PM
chris

95 here today in Rochester Ny. Zefal Isotherm (possibly the best insulated
bottles?) for keeping drinks cold. Anyone know of better bottles let me
know, but these things are great. Best wicking is SKIN (no shirt).
Especially if you are a female!

"catzz66" wrote in message
I started riding again last fall and had been riding about every day
till I broke my arm and collarbone which knocked me off schedule for a
few weeks. When that happened, the temps were in the 70s and 80s most
days. Now it is quite a lot hotter. How do you all deal with the heat?

I've been wearing light colored clothing, drinking lots of water, etc.
I also tried wearing sandals instead of running shoes and that seemed to
help as well. Usually I ride before the sun gets all the way up and the
heat has not been a problem, but on the weekends I ride longer distances
and can't really avoid it.

P.S. I put an extra bottle rack on my old steel frame Fuji using zip
ties and it is working out great so far.

Old June 27th 05, 10:04 PM
lowkey

Ever consider night riding? Not for the heat but I've been tending to late
night or early morning [dawn/pre-dawn] rides to counter air quality issues.

There is a certain tranquility and seclusion that is appealing to riding at
those times.

--
'Well it's all right, everything'll work out fine
Well it's all right, we're going to the end of the line'

Old June 27th 05, 10:07 PM
lowkey

On 2005-06-27, catzz66 wrote:

Being as cheap as I am, I sometimes strap a 2 liter bottle filled with
water to my rack.

I take three 1.5 litre bottles - two frozen solid, the third 50% frozen/50%
liquid.

--
'I go to parties, sometimes until four
It's hard to leave when you can't find the door'

Old June 27th 05, 10:19 PM
Peter Cole

catzz66 wrote:
I started riding again last fall and had been riding about every day
till I broke my arm and collarbone which knocked me off schedule for a
few weeks. When that happened, the temps were in the 70s and 80s most
days. Now it is quite a lot hotter. How do you all deal with the heat?

I've been wearing light colored clothing, drinking lots of water, etc. I
also tried wearing sandals instead of running shoes and that seemed to
help as well. Usually I ride before the sun gets all the way up and the
heat has not been a problem, but on the weekends I ride longer distances
and can't really avoid it.

When it gets really hot or really cold, I bike in the woods. Tree cover
can make a huge difference, there's nothing worse than being broiled
from both the sky and pavement. We're fortunate around here (MA) to have
a lot of back roads that have continuous tree canopies, that makes days
of high heat and humidity tolerable, but it's always shady in the woods.
Old June 27th 05, 10:27 PM
Roger Zoul

lowkey wrote:
:: Ever consider night riding? Not for the heat but I've been tending
:: to late night or early morning [dawn/pre-dawn] rides to counter air
:: quality issues.
::
:: There is a certain tranquility and seclusion that is appealing to
:: riding at those times.

I've been leaning toward this for summer riding. I have light for my handle
bars, now if I could find a decent light to mount on my helmet and light up
my bike. I don't like not being able to see anything on my bike, ie, which
gear i'm in and my bike computer or HR monitor.

Old June 27th 05, 10:57 PM
lowkey

"Roger Zoul" wrote in message
lowkey wrote:
:: Ever consider night riding? Not for the heat but I've been tending
:: to late night or early morning [dawn/pre-dawn] rides to counter air
:: quality issues.
::
:: There is a certain tranquility and seclusion that is appealing to
:: riding at those times.

I've been leaning toward this for summer riding. I have light for my
handle bars, now if I could find a decent light to mount on my helmet and
light up my bike. I don't like not being able to see anything on my bike,
ie, which gear i'm in and my bike computer or HR monitor.

Much of my night rides are around town under the glow of the city's
lighting. Sometimes I head out of town and am treated with a view of stars.
Not as dazzling as I remember from my rural youth - light pollution is far
too extensive to completely get away from. Still it is nice for a while to
enjoy the solitude.

--
'Rockin' and rollin' in overdrive
My heart's beating like a jackhammer,

Heat? Yeah, but what about wind? Pat General 10 June 10th 05 08:04 PM
We're having a heat wave Maggie General 7 February 26th 05 06:50 AM
heat gear dreaded General 2 August 24th 04 12:17 AM
Where's Mike Imrem now? 88' heat cancels football practice! crit pro Racing 4 August 5th 04 05:40 PM
PolarWrap heat exchange masks? David Wean General 1 January 12th 04 11:08 AM