The science of Lance

Old June 28th 05, 01:15 PM
Ken

Default The science of Lance

I watched this on the Discovery channel last night, and I had NO idea that
he really had any physical differences from the normal man. But from what
they were saying he has a heart like a gorilla and lungs to match! I think
they said his heart pumps about twice as much blood as a normal man
(volume). And his lungs extract 20% more oxygen from each breath. WOW! I
guess this helps when he is climbing those hills in theTdF.

Ken
--
For my real email address just remove "-dispose-trash"
More of my mind dribbles at my blog: http://mind-dribble.blogspot.com/

Old June 28th 05, 01:23 PM
Marty

Ken wrote:
I watched this on the Discovery channel last night, and I had NO idea that
he really had any physical differences from the normal man. But from what
they were saying he has a heart like a gorilla and lungs to match! I think
they said his heart pumps about twice as much blood as a normal man
(volume). And his lungs extract 20% more oxygen from each breath. WOW! I
guess this helps when he is climbing those hills in theTdF.

Ken

Which is why if you buy a replica of Lances bike it won't do you much
good. But get a replica of his lungs, now you're talkin'.

Marty
Old June 28th 05, 01:29 PM
Maggie

Ken wrote:
I watched this on the Discovery channel last night, and I had NO idea that
he really had any physical differences from the normal man.

I looked at your e-bay sight last night, and you are selling some
mighty strange stuff. The shirt off your back is pretty creative. So
is the mystery box.

Maggie

Old June 28th 05, 02:32 PM
Bob Dole

The guys at the very top in most sports not only work very hard, they
also are at the fringe physically. Miguel Indurain's resting heartrate
was about 28, IIRC.

This is true in most endeavors. Einstein might have worked harder than
I do, but he was definitely a lot, lot smarter.

Ted Williams, doctors said, could see at 20 feet what people with
normal eyesight see from 10. Armed forces ophthalmologists said his
eyesight was so keen it was a one-in-100,000 proposition. (according
to http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...s/ted-obit.htm )

Old June 28th 05, 02:34 PM
Mark Hickey

Marty wrote:

Ken wrote:
I watched this on the Discovery channel last night, and I had NO idea that
he really had any physical differences from the normal man. But from what
they were saying he has a heart like a gorilla and lungs to match! I think
they said his heart pumps about twice as much blood as a normal man
(volume). And his lungs extract 20% more oxygen from each breath. WOW! I
guess this helps when he is climbing those hills in theTdF.

Which is why if you buy a replica of Lances bike it won't do you much
good. But get a replica of his lungs, now you're talkin'.

A buddy of mine was in a crowd around Greg LeMond after a race once.
The kids were calling out "can I have your hat" and "can I have your
jersey". Rick (a cycling / racing buddy of mine) asked "can I have
your lungs?" (Greg smiled).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old June 28th 05, 03:15 PM
Claire Petersky

Ken wrote in message ...
I watched this on the Discovery channel last night, and I had NO idea that
he really had any physical differences from the normal man. But from what
they were saying he has a heart like a gorilla and lungs to match! I think
they said his heart pumps about twice as much blood as a normal man
(volume). And his lungs extract 20% more oxygen from each breath. WOW! I
guess this helps when he is climbing those hills in theTdF.

Yesterday, while riding with my daughter Rose, I refered to him as a
"genetic freak" which Rose found amusing. She likes to call him Lance
Lungstrong, and that's probably right on the money.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:
http://bookcrossing.com/referr*al/Cpetersky

Old June 28th 05, 03:36 PM
Ken

"Maggie" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ken wrote:
I watched this on the Discovery channel last night, and I had NO idea
that
he really had any physical differences from the normal man.

I looked at your e-bay sight last night, and you are selling some
mighty strange stuff. The shirt off your back is pretty creative. So
is the mystery box.

Maggie

LOL yeah I find lots of stuff at yard sales and garage sales. But it's been
pretty slim pickings lately. So I thought the "Shirt Off My Back" was pretty
creative! And mystery auctions are the latest rave on E-Bay. You missed the
empty gum wrapper rage.

Ken

Old June 28th 05, 04:06 PM
Neil Brooks

"Ken" wrote:

I watched this on the Discovery channel last night, and I had NO idea that
he really had any physical differences from the normal man. But from what
they were saying he has a heart like a gorilla and lungs to match! I think
they said his heart pumps about twice as much blood as a normal man
(volume). And his lungs extract 20% more oxygen from each breath. WOW! I
guess this helps when he is climbing those hills in theTdF.

I have to go dimple my jersey now....
Old June 28th 05, 04:26 PM
Michael K

"Ken" wrote:

I watched this on the Discovery channel last night, and I had NO idea that
he really had any physical differences from the normal man. But from what
they were saying he has a heart like a gorilla and lungs to match! I think
they said his heart pumps about twice as much blood as a normal man
(volume). And his lungs extract 20% more oxygen from each breath. WOW! I
guess this helps when he is climbing those hills in theTdF.

Ken

Pretty decent show. His legs/body also produce less acid and either
dispose of it quickly or somehow do not allow it to build up as in
mere mortals

Old June 28th 05, 04:34 PM
Roger Zoul