Ride like a bowling ball

Old July 2nd 05, 05:24 PM
fiachi

Default Ride like a bowling ball

I was riding with a pack of about 100 around the Rose Bowl yesterday
when someone in the middle crashed and caused a pile up. After we
picked ourselves up, one woman pointed at another rider and said "Its
your fault! you ride like a f_cking bowling ball."

What did she mean?

Old July 2nd 05, 05:38 PM
Matthew

"fiachi" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was riding with a pack of about 100 around the Rose Bowl yesterday
when someone in the middle crashed and caused a pile up. After we
picked ourselves up, one woman pointed at another rider and said "Its
your fault! you ride like a f_cking bowling ball."

What did she mean?

Failing to hold a straight line would be my guess. Here is a good place to
practice such skill:
http://www.m90.org/view_image.*php?image_id=6246

Matthew

Old July 2nd 05, 06:29 PM
The Wogster

Matthew wrote:
"fiachi" wrote in message
oups.com...

I was riding with a pack of about 100 around the Rose Bowl yesterday
when someone in the middle crashed and caused a pile up. After we
picked ourselves up, one woman pointed at another rider and said "Its
your fault! you ride like a f_cking bowling ball."

What did she mean?

Failing to hold a straight line would be my guess. Here is a good place to
practice such skill:
http://www.m90.org/view_image.*php?image_id=6246

Matthew

Your link is broken.....

Old July 2nd 05, 06:30 PM
David L. Johnson

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 09:24:54 -0700, fiachi wrote:

I was riding with a pack of about 100 around the Rose Bowl yesterday
when someone in the middle crashed and caused a pile up. After we
picked ourselves up, one woman pointed at another rider and said "Its
your fault! you ride like a f_cking bowling ball."

What did she mean?

What she meant was that this other person knocked a lot of pins (riders)
over. But, what she revealed about herself is more important. You ride
in a tight pack, you take responsibility for what happens. It is the
responsibility of the rider behind to stay away from the wheel of the
rider ahead. Sure, everyone is supposed to hold their line, but if
someone is being squirrely, it's the responsibility of other riders to
stay away. Better to dust yourself off and lick your wounds than to yell
at the person who was in front of you.

I held a grudge for years against a guy I blamed for a bad crash I had in
a race. He blew through the pack and I rubbed his wheel as he was going
through. Sure, it would have been nicer had he gone around the group, but
he probably did not have a path. I must have seen him before I hit his
wheel, since I knew who it was, but since I saw him it was my lookout.
The guy behind me also went down on top of me, but he never blamed me for
it.

You pays your money, you takes your chances.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Become MicroSoft-free forever. Ask me how.
_`\(,_ |
(_)/ (_) |

Old July 2nd 05, 07:28 PM
Matthew

"The Wogster" wrote in message
Matthew wrote:
"fiachi" wrote in message
oups.com...

I was riding with a pack of about 100 around the Rose Bowl yesterday
when someone in the middle crashed and caused a pile up. After we
picked ourselves up, one woman pointed at another rider and said "Its
your fault! you ride like a f_cking bowling ball."

What did she mean?

Failing to hold a straight line would be my guess. Here is a good place

practice such skill:
http://www.m90.org/view_image.*php?image_id=6246

Your link is broken.....

Indeed, sorry. Second try:
http://www.m90.org/view_image.php?image_id=6246

Old July 3rd 05, 04:38 PM
C.J.Patten

"David L. Johnson" wrote in message
news
your fault! you ride like a f_cking bowling ball."

What did she mean?

FYI: I've ridden in a bunch of places in Europe (none here in Canada) where
that cycle lane picture you posted (next to the canal) is pretty normal. You
just get used to it.

But, what she revealed about herself is more important.

You're bang on with this David.

Another phrase that I suspect would apply to the mouthy lady: "Don't fix
blame, fix the problem."