Campy Ergo 8 speed shifter parts becoming scarce?

Old December 3rd 03, 12:49 AM
Jonathan Quist

Default Campy Ergo 8 speed shifter parts becoming scarce?

Just noticed on Branford's site that they no longer carry parts for 8
speed Ergo shifters. Are they becoming hard to find generally? I have
a set of Chorus 8 speed levers I would like to upgrade to current 9
speed, and am wondering if I waited too long...
Old December 3rd 03, 02:30 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

jcq- Just noticed on Branford's site that they no longer carry parts for 8
speed Ergo shifters. Are they becoming hard to find generally? BRBR

The only thing different is the spring carrier and shift disc and branford may
have a tough time finding stuff, but any decent bike shop isn't.

jcq- I have
a set of Chorus 8 speed levers I would like to upgrade to current 9
speed, and am wondering if I waited too long... BRBR

The 9s disc is going to get scarce, but isn't now. Regardless of what BF says,
you don't need pulleys and rear ders and such to convert. Just a shift disc,
rear hub to accept a 9s cog, chain..

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old December 5th 03, 02:57 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

scott- What about old 9s to new 9s - you still need a new 9s rear der, right?
BRBR

NO...all the compatibility 'issues' raised by Campagnolo and others just don't
exist. You can use any Campagnolo rear der from about 1991 until the present
with any Campagnolo indexing system ...just match the shifter 'speeds' to the
cogset...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old December 9th 03, 05:59 AM
Pete Biggs

Top Sirloin wrote:

What about old 9s to new 9s - you still need a new 9s rear der, right?

Right - if you want the best results IME. There is an actual difference
between how much new and old derailleurs move per mm of cable pulled.

~PB

Old December 9th 03, 01:37 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Pete- What about old 9s to new 9s - you still need a new 9s rear der, right?

Right - if you want the best results IME. There is an actual difference
between how much new and old derailleurs move per mm of cable pulled.
BRBR

From my experience, you don't need a new rear der. What I see mostly is that
the old is worn out, why many say they need a new one, not from rear der
dimension, altho slightly different.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.