Straight inner tubes?

Old August 13th 04, 04:40 AM
Alex Rodriguez

Default Straight inner tubes?

In article ,
says...

Does anybody know if there's a noncircular inner tube on the market? I
thought there was, but I can't find anything on the net. My bike has a
full Nexus setup in the back and it's a royal pain in the ass to remove
and reinstall the wheel. Be a lot easier if there was a straight inner
tube, sort of like those long balloons that they use for balloon
animals.

I have access to a heat sealer. Maybe I can try to make my own by
cutting a tube and sealing the ends. Or maybe just good, old fashioned
patch glue to seal the ends?

I'm in the same boat and I have the same recollection as you. A few years
back I saw the ads for the tubes you mention. I haven't seen them recently.
If you do find them, post the source.
----------------
Alex

Old August 13th 04, 08:16 PM
Phil Brown

My bike has a
full Nexus setup in the back and it's a royal pain in the ass to remove
and reinstall the wheel.

You don't need to remove the wheel to patch the tube. Just pull the section
with the hole out and patch it and . wait till you get home to replace it.
Phil Brown
Old August 14th 04, 08:13 PM
Trevor Jeffrey

Phil Brown wrote in message
My bike has a
full Nexus setup in the back and it's a royal pain in the ass to remove
and reinstall the wheel.

You don't need to remove the wheel to patch the tube. Just pull the section
with the hole out and patch it and . wait till you get home to replace it.

You don't need to remove the wheel to replace the tube. Just push the
section
with the patch back in and wait till you get home to put your feet up.

Trevor

Old August 17th 04, 05:04 PM
CoyoteBoy

Alex Rodriguez wrote in message news:cfhd76 I have access to a heat sealer. Maybe I can try to make my own by
cutting a tube and sealing the ends. Or maybe just good, old fashioned
patch glue to seal the ends?

Doesnt work, i tried all ends up to try to seal some inner tubes for
another purpose (no, nothing perverted) and I could do nothing to seal
them. Heat just seemed to melt them but they never stuck together,
tube sealant couldnt hack the pressure or seal in the corners.
Anyways, a straight tube would give you an aweful flat spot where the
two bits come together.

Old August 19th 04, 12:44 AM
Coyoteboy

Were you testing it outside of a tire? Inner tubes aren't designed to
withstand high pressure. Tires do that. Inner tubes just keep the air
from leaking. If tubes had to withstand pressure themselves, patches
would never hold.
or seal in the corners.

It might if you clamp the end for an hour or two while the glue sets.

Yeah, outside the tyre, but with less than readable pressure they all just
unfolded/unstuck. Must have been sub 5psi.

Anyways, a straight tube would give you an aweful flat spot where the
two bits come together.

I'm thinking of cutting the end in a sawtooth pattern, so the three or
four teeth would fold together in the middle, creating an end that's
round rather than squashed. Starting with a large 700c tube (40mm or
wider) instead of a 26" tube would give enough length to let the two
blunt ends butt right up against each other.

Its an idea, but I'll be amazed if you manage it, maybe if you put some sort
of inner skin inside each end to 'press outwards' against your glued ends
and seal off. The minutest little scrap of a hole is a fast flat - give it a
shot but I think you'll be wasting your time really.