Use for a towel #42, and a 154 mile ride

Old October 3rd 05, 07:57 PM
cathwood

Default Use for a towel #42, and a 154 mile ride

I have read the book many times and did appreciate your comment.

Actually I think you mean books.

Cathy

--
cathwood

A thought is just a thought.

http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

Old October 3rd 05, 08:13 PM
Mikefule

cathwood Wrote:
Actually I think you mean books.

Cathy

Yes and no. I read about the first three in the fairly early days, and
even had the cassette tapes (remember those? Just after 78s and wax
cyclinders, but before CDs). Then I got a bit bored with the formula,
and took to Pratchett (sp?) for a while. But the expression containing
both those made up words as nouns was from the first of the books.
Acsh'ly, it seems a very long time since I've read anything light
hearted and fun, although, as an insurance claims investigator, I read
a lot of fiction.

You idling in that kitchen yet?

--
Mikefule

So, do you ride with a club?

No, but I carry a heavy spanner.

Old October 3rd 05, 08:34 PM
cathwood

I'm certainly feeling more confident with short distance backwards
riding.

Cathy

Old October 6th 05, 11:30 AM
Zzagg

Mikefule Wrote:
Then I got a bit bored with the formula, and took to Pratchett (sp?) for
a while.

I feel the same, the last books from Adams aren't as good as the two
(OK, let's say three ) first volumes. wereas Terry Pratchett remains
very good with the Disc World... I've read maybe 12 of those books (2
were original version, others were french translated) and i still want
more!
Too bad I'm not good enough to read and appreciate both authors in
English. Although translators are great and keep the book's spirit, I'm
sure that it's not possible to translate perfectly such rich novels.
Sorry for this non-unicycle-related post

--
Zzagg

Zzagg - Air Circus Team (Nantes)

Riding day, dream away...
Still riding, still dreaming.

please excuse me for still thinking I can write correct english :-o
Zzagg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6847

Old October 6th 05, 12:25 PM
johnhimsworth

Zzagg Wrote:
Although translators are great and keep the book's spirit, I'm sure that
it's not possible to translate perfectly such rich novels.

Just in case this thread isn't already off topic enough, have you read
Feet of Clay? I can't help but wonder what a translator does with
French/English wordplays - lamp au poisson and the like. Having the
whole thing in French must either make it bloomin' obvious, or complete
nonsense.

I do like the idea of learning a language by reading Terry Pratchett
though. Pity I can already speak English, really.

John

--
johnhimsworth

What if the hokey cokey really is what it's all about?
johnhimsworth's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1788

Old October 6th 05, 12:35 PM
Zzagg

johnhimsworth Wrote:
Just in case this thread isn't already off topic enough, have you read
Feet of Clay? I can't help but wonder what a translator does with
French/English wordplays - lamp au poisson and the like. Having the
whole thing in French must either make it bloomin' obvious, or complete
nonsense.

I do like the idea of learning a language by reading Terry Pratchett
though. Pity I can already speak English, really.

John

Yes I've read it... But I don't remember enough to answer your question.
Sometimes the translator (who I respect for the way he manages with the
task) is obliged to make notes. For example Death is known as a female
in france (you say "La Mort")... so in every tome he has to explain why
Death is a male. in the latest tomes he just write things like:
*Do i really need to explain it again?
But as I said I'm sure that a very few things are lost in
translation... but it's still too much

Old October 6th 05, 12:42 PM
GILD

redwelly Wrote:
Always know where your towel is.

A truly priceless story.
Thanx for sharing.
I would offer to buy you a beer, but a towel seems more appropriate.

DarkTom Wrote:
Or in Glaswegian: get it up ye ya wordy trumpet.

Mikefule Wrote:
Or as we say in Nottingham, guitar tonnit yer daft bogger. Ah were
tekkin't ****.

Thanx for the translations gents. I must say that both comments remind
me of Vogon poetry.

--
GILD

'harper' (http://tinyurl.com/c9epx)
'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purp...ld-in-time.php)

Old October 6th 05, 12:58 PM
munidobs

GILD Wrote:
-A truly priceless story.
Thanx for sharing.
I would offer to buy you a beer, but a towel seems more appropriate.
-

Oh, but beer is also crucial, so too salted peanuts ...
personally I'd add sundried bananas too, not for any particular
inter-galactic transportation purposes, just because they are nice

--
munidobs

Don't go out without your sundried bananas !
munidobs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8790

Old October 6th 05, 05:14 PM
David_Stone

Great write-up. Sorry I missed it when it first aired a few months ago.

I had the same air-seat problem and wrote about how it finally got to
the point where I, like you, had to improvise. I had a towel. I tried
it. It was too big.

Luckily I had a spare pair of underwear (say it so it sounds like a
poem). I stuffed them into the seat, and the 5 miles home went by in a
flash (of hot pain -- no just kidding, it was fine). Then I replaced
the undies with a foam seat and have kept it ever since. Air seats are
lovely, but the reassurance of foam is even lovelier sometimes.

--
David_Stone

Dictator for Life,
NYUC