Tyre failure example (with an aside on tyre liners)

Old December 11th 03, 09:22 AM
Josh Gatts

Default Tyre failure example (with an aside on tyre liners)

Rick Onanian wrote:
On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 18:23:41 -0800, "Josh Gatts"
wrote:
"Rick Onanian" wrote in message
You better hope he doesn't contact any Vogons...
Oh freddled gruntbuggly thy micturations are to me

Another g. daniels tribute?
--Josh (removing exhausted Babel fish from ear and placing in
satchel)

From your sig, I expect that you would have recognized that poetry,
unless your Babel fish reference is to babelfish.altavista.com...

Yes, I know Vogon poetry when I see it.

Does anyone make an Infinite Improbability Drive unit compact enough for my
bike? I'd power it with a hub generator and a water bottle full of hot tea.

--Josh

Old December 11th 03, 05:02 PM
Greg Hall

wrote in message ...
See the FAQ on that at:

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/index.html

under the heading: 8b Tech Tires

Thanks for the link Jobst.

An 8b.18 excerpt: 'tubular tires bought in advance should be
sealed tightly in airtight bags and kept in the dark, optimally in a
freezer.'

Got a chuckle out of that one when I thought about what the Mrs would
have to say about it.

Greg Hall
Old December 11th 03, 08:46 PM

Greg Hall writes:

See the FAQ on that at:

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/index.html

under the heading: 8b Tech Tires

Thanks for the link Jobst.

An 8b.18 excerpt: 'tubular tires bought in advance should be sealed
tightly in airtight bags and kept in the dark, optimally in a
freezer.'

Got a chuckle out of that one when I thought about what the Mrs
would have to say about it.

I keep my stash of gum brake lever hoods and REMA 100cnt patch boxes
in my freezer. I don't mind giving up a corner of the freezer.

Jobst Brandt

Old December 11th 03, 09:24 PM
Rick Onanian

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 01:22:51 -0800, "Josh Gatts"
wrote:
Does anyone make an Infinite Improbability Drive unit compact enough for my
bike? I'd power it with a hub generator and a water bottle full of hot tea.

You can't get hot tea on an Infinite Improbability Driven vehicle!

The closest you can get is a drink that is almost, but not quite,
entirely unlike tea.

--Josh

--
Rick Onanian
Old December 11th 03, 10:40 PM
Tom Nakashima

I also read 8b.18, the last paragraph:
"For best results, use new tires because aged tires are only as good as how
little they have aged."

My question doesn't apply to tires, but Rema patches. I had some Rema
patches that have been laying around for about 10 years. They were still in
the original green box. I tried to use them with a new tube of glue, but
couldn't get them to adhere, they peeled up. I bought some new Rema
patches, used the same glue and they work fine. Can patches go bad? btw, I
don't freeze my Rema patches.
-tom

Old December 12th 03, 03:59 AM

Tom Nakashima writes:

[...]

Of course the can. That is why they are packaged with metal foil to
protect the active surface from evaporating and oxidizing. With time,
the active area, the reddish rubber, diffuses its life out the back of
the patch that is not protected by much more than a micro layer of
cellophane.

btw, I don't freeze my Rema patches.

Neither would I, but two boxed of 100 patches is a bit much to let
spoil over years that they would wait before getting their turn.
These were given to me by a generous sort whom I had helped with tires
and wheels. It was a nice gesture. I'm just starting on the first
box now after a couple of years on ice. I already had a 100 box of
patches when they were given to me.

On the other hand I'm sure these patches were not "laying" (eggs) but
were lying there in a similar manner to most other inanimate objects.

Jobst Brandt