dura ace triple crank gearing question

Old December 5th 03, 02:54 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Default compact doubles are busting out all over next year

eflayer- How about a double that thinks like a triple. Ritchey, TA, and FSA
are all announcing compact doubles in the 50/34 size category. I
can't wait to try this combo after using both DA and Ultegra triples.
They work fine, but 12-25 or 12-27 in the rear with 50/34 up front
sounds like efficient fun to me.

Ritchey, TA and carbon FSA available now, aluminum FSA in January. A look at
gear charts shows that a 50/34 and a 11-23 is a higher high and a lower low
gear than a 53/39 and a 12-23..Great idea IMHO for 2004...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old December 5th 03, 03:14 PM
Robert Strickland

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
eflayer- How about a double that thinks like a triple. Ritchey, TA, and

FSA
are all announcing compact doubles in the 50/34 size category. I
can't wait to try this combo after using both DA and Ultegra triples.
They work fine, but 12-25 or 12-27 in the rear with 50/34 up front
sounds like efficient fun to me.

Ritchey, TA and carbon FSA available now, aluminum FSA in January. A look

at
gear charts shows that a 50/34 and a 11-23 is a higher high and a lower

low
gear than a 53/39 and a 12-23..Great idea IMHO for 2004...

Does anyone know if these or other manufacturers will be offering 110/74
triples or just doubles?

Rob Strickland

Old December 5th 03, 03:33 PM
Guenther Schwarz

Robert Strickland wrote:
"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message

Ritchey, TA and carbon FSA available now, aluminum FSA in January.

Does anyone know if these or other manufacturers will be offering 110/74
triples or just doubles?

T.A. does offer triple versions. You might also have a look at current
models from Sugino and Stronglight or old Shimano MTB cranks of the time
before they introduced the 'compact drive' system. All these cranks come
with the traditional square taper which I like more than the splined ones.

Guenther

Old December 5th 03, 05:14 PM
David Damerell

Robert Strickland wrote:
[110/74]
Does anyone know if these or other manufacturers will be offering 110/74
triples or just doubles?

Well, there's no such thing as a 110/74 double, so...

But seriously, Sugino do a 110/74 triple Right Now.
--
David Damerell Kill the tomato!
Old December 6th 03, 12:24 AM
Jeff Wills

"Raymo853" wrote in message ...
I love the fact the road compact, aka touring or mtb standard, crank is
becoming popular but want to say to everybody you know it is not a new
thing. A few intelligently spec'ed cross bikes for the last few years used
110 or 110/74 cranks. What about the first generation RSX stuff?

Fiddlesticks! What about the original Sugino Mighty Tour cranks?
Light forged arms and 110mm bolt pattern- I've got a set I'm saving
for a special bike. I bought my first set 20 (eek!) years ago for my
touring bike.

Jeff
Old December 6th 03, 02:27 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Default dura ace triple crank gearing question

If set up properly, you can use the entire rear cogset in the middle ring, as
the middle ring is aligned with the center of the cogset. The small and big
rings should be reserved for the biggest and smallest cogs(like 6 or 7 of them)
to prevent excessive wear.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old December 6th 03, 02:28 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Robert- Does anyone know if these or other manufacturers will be offering
110/74
triples or just doubles? BRBR

TA and Stronglight are either. Ritchey also, I think..

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old December 6th 03, 05:27 PM
bfd

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
Robert- Does anyone know if these or other manufacturers will be

offering
110/74
triples or just doubles? BRBR

TA and Stronglight are either. Ritchey also, I think..

Its my understanding that for 2004, Ritchey will NOT have a 110/74 triple.
But they will have a 110bcd double crank with 50/34 chainrings. Also, you
guys forgot to mention Sugino has a 110/74 triple, like the Sugino XD he

http://www.yellowjersey.org/cranx.html