Rear racks for Ortlieb panniers?

Old November 11th 03, 12:13 PM
Jake

Default Rear racks for Ortlieb panniers?

I'm about to give in and buy a pair of Ortlieb Roller Plus waterproof
panniers.
Has anyone got any recomendations or warnings about the best rear rack
to go with these?
The only threads I can find had one warning about not using them with
racks with a dogleg.

Thanks
Jake
Old November 11th 03, 12:23 PM
Clive George

"Jake" wrote in message
om...
I'm about to give in and buy a pair of Ortlieb Roller Plus waterproof
panniers.
Has anyone got any recomendations or warnings about the best rear rack
to go with these?
The only threads I can find had one warning about not using them with
racks with a dogleg.

Google for ortlieb dogleg found two answers : one saying don't (from 1996)
and Guy saying do!

cheers,
clive

Old November 11th 03, 12:41 PM
Peter Clinch

Jake wrote:
I'm about to give in and buy a pair of Ortlieb Roller Plus waterproof
panniers.

A sound choice IMHO. I've been very pleased with mine.

Has anyone got any recomendations or warnings about the best rear rack
to go with these?
The only threads I can find had one warning about not using them with
racks with a dogleg.

I can't really see why not. Ortlieb's fixing system is highly
configurable and should be easy to adapt to pretty well anything (mine
usually travel on my rather non-standard recumbent racks, but they've
been for a ride on the doglegs on my old tourer and the non-doglegs on
my MTB okay).

Overall I'd say doglegs were better as they help control the motion on
bumpy roads with heavy loads, but as long as the rack is anything
half-decent I can't envisage much in the way of problems.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

Old November 11th 03, 05:56 PM
Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee

I've used a pair of Ortliebs for 10 years with doglegs on all the bikes I've
used with them. The dogs aren't very happy but the bags are delighted!
No problem with most carriers.

Old November 11th 03, 10:16 PM
Bob

A £20 Topeak rack suits them fine. As someone else has mentioned they are
very adjustable.

As panniers they are great, recent upgrade from a pair of Alturas has me
convinced.
Don't look at their webpage though, to many things that are tempting to buy!

om...

Old November 13th 03, 07:58 PM
Marten Hoffmann

schreef ...
A £20 Topeak rack suits them fine. As someone else has mentioned they are
very adjustable.

But a Tubus is *the* rack to match your German bags ;-)
www.tubus.net

As panniers they are great, recent upgrade from a pair of Alturas has me
convinced.
Don't look at their webpage though, to many things that are tempting to buy!

Right, so I'm not the only one who suffers from this?!

--
Regards,
Marten
Old November 13th 03, 08:08 PM
Bob

"Marten Hoffmann" wrote in message
schreef ...
A £20 Topeak rack suits them fine. As someone else has mentioned they

are
very adjustable.

Oops, I meant TorTec

But a Tubus is *the* rack to match your German bags ;-)
www.tubus.net

Damn you Marten, I'm gonna have to have a look now!

As panniers they are great, recent upgrade from a pair of Alturas has me
convinced.
Don't look at their webpage though, to many things that are tempting to

buy!

Right, so I'm not the only one who suffers from this?!

LOL, no!

--
Regards,
Marten

Old November 14th 03, 12:57 AM
chris French

In message , Bob
writes

"Marten Hoffmann" wrote in message
. ..
schreef ...

But a Tubus is *the* rack to match your German bags ;-)
www.tubus.net

Damn you Marten, I'm gonna have to have a look now!

I'm fan now of Tubus racks, they are lovely and sturdy and well
constructed.

--
Chris French, Leeds

rear hitch bike rack curt General 12 March 18th 04 09:55 PM
Rear pannier rack for rear suspension MTB Julian Fox Techniques 6 September 11th 03 10:22 AM
Shimano 105 rear derailleur weird specs Grenouil Techniques 6 August 10th 03 02:14 PM