How do the shocks work (break?) on Specialized Rock Hopper Comp FS

Old August 10th 04, 01:23 AM
Linda Donovan

Default How do the shocks work (break?) on Specialized Rock Hopper Comp FS

I lent my Specialized Rock Hopper Comp FS to a friend, who finally
gave the mountain bike back after two years or so (he moved to the
east coast).

The forks are flat. What I mean is there isn't any rebound (to speak
of) in the forks anymore. When I sit on the bike, they just bottom
out. Funny thing is, I can't see how that could happen (from the
outside anyway).

How do these (front shocks) things work?

Air? Springs? Dampers? Pistons? Magic?

There doesn't seem to be any adjustment.

It's beyond me to take them apart (heck, I can barely get the
so-called quick release front wheel off & on what with those darn tabs
which drive me utterly crazy. I don't even have to lock the front
wheel up since no thief has the time and patience to remove the front
wheel, but, that's another story).

I don't begrudge the friend one bit (I lent it out knowing she'd use
it for mountain biking in the Santa Cruz mountains). The only thing I
wish is I wish I knew how the darn things worked (and then I could
figure out how they broke).

Is there an easy fix (I don't bike much so high cost isn't what I'm
looking for).

Please advise,
thank you very much,
Linda
Old August 10th 04, 01:35 AM
Michael Dart

"Linda Donovan" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Not knowing what make/model fork you have I'll hazard a guess that it's an
air fork and all the air has leaked out. It may be as simple as getting a
shock pump and adding air to the fork. If there is a leak the fork will
have to be rebuilt. There are several kinds of forks out there. Most use
coil springs with an hydraulic damping cartridge. Some use a pressurized
air chamber for the spring. See if the top caps unscrew revealing an air
fitting similar to a tire schrader valve. Beyond that post back with the
make/model of the fork and we'll be able to help you better.

Mike

Specialized Rockhopper Comp aTmSpectre Mountain Biking 1 July 22nd 04 12:50 AM
F/S Rock Shocks $10. DaveH Off Road 0 January 3rd 04 08:49 PM
Specialized 04 Roubaix Comp 27 Jeff Marder General 4 October 22nd 03 05:05 PM
Specialized Allez Pro & Comp frame and fork the same? Jason Spaceman Techniques 0 September 12th 03 10:19 AM
Specialized Hardrock Comp vs Cannondale F300 Sailh2o Mountain Biking 4 August 27th 03 11:24 AM