Safe to twist handlebars for storage?

Old May 10th 09, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Kroma

Default Safe to twist handlebars for storage?

Hello,

I am just getting back into cycling after a few years (well, 13) absence.

I have purchased and fitted a bike 'hanger' which consists of two prongs
protruding from my garage wall. It works a treat. However...

If I am to be able to fit my car in the garage, I need to loosen the
handlebars and twist them through 90 degrees so that they are aligned with
the wheel. This allows the bike to sit fairly flush to the wall. If I
don't do this, my car parking space is severely limited due to the
protruding handlebar (or the front wheel sticking out due to the handlebar
touching the wall).

My question is, is it safe for me to twist the handlebars like this
everytime I store the bike and then to realign the handlebar (all done with
an Allen key) ready for cycling? Will I eventually wear something down or
is this a common activity?

Thanks in advance,

Kroma

Old May 11th 09, 12:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman[_2_]

"Kroma" wrote: (clip) is it safe for me to twist the handlebars like this
everytime I store the bike and then to realign the handlebar (all done
with an Allen key) ready for cycling? (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
One of my folding bikes uses this technique as part of the storage
procedure. To that end, they provide a lever in place of the Allen bolt.
This suggests to me that the procedure can be done many times without damage
or undue wear. You might even shop for a lever of this type to make things
less fussy.

As an alternative, how about removing the front wheel when you hang up the
bike. You do have a quick release on the front wheel, don't you? Or can
get one.

Old May 12th 09, 02:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Kroma wrote:

snip

My question is, is it safe for me to twist the handlebars like this
everytime I store the bike and then to realign the handlebar (all done with
an Allen key) ready for cycling? Will I eventually wear something down or
is this a common activity?

As long as no cables are getting stretched or kinked I'm sure it's fine.

There are also some folding handlebars on the market, but the ones I've
seen at trade shows still require an Allen wrench, i.e.
"http://www.humpert.com/en_media/bikeparts/downloads/montage_sicherheit/visuals/lenkerbuegel/HandlebarX-ACTFHS2_E.pdf"

Old May 12th 09, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Erness Wild

Whatever happened to "wing-nuts" on the front wheel. I still
have a bicycle with those. Come off without tools.

(of course you might want to lock the front wheel if you go
somewhere a leave the bicycle)

Always wondered why there was never a finger tight twist lock
on a bicycle for the stem.

--
A website is a place, where, when you go there, it does everything
possible to distract you, from finding the information you came there

An old twist [email protected] Techniques 2 April 5th 08 05:22 PM
Hop-twist 180 Aaron Egan Unicycling 4 October 26th 06 11:43 AM
360 hop twist & and spin? dan de man Unicycling 2 February 2nd 06 07:45 PM
The 360 rolling hop-twist. litldude2 Unicycling 0 January 23rd 06 05:05 AM
Hop, twist, help! fattyjules Unicycling 9 February 28th 04 10:04 PM