Tracks vs. cyclists

Old April 24th 16, 03:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Tracks vs. cyclists

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/...ears-1-7871079

The photo looks scary indeed.

We have no trams or trolleys around here, but I've dodged them in other
cities. Here's an interesting sign from Halifax, NS:

https://flic.kr/p/GscXqn

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 24th 16, 04:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 10:52:13 AM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/...ears-1-7871079

The photo looks scary indeed.

We have no trams or trolleys around here, but I've dodged them in other
cities. Here's an interesting sign from Halifax, NS:

https://flic.kr/p/GscXqn

--
- Frank Krygowski

Sheesh! If they're riding that close to the tracks as shown in the image it's no wonder they're crashing. One little waver and a wheel can slip into the track. The bicyclist would be better off riding between the rils rather than so close to one.

Cheers
Old April 24th 16, 07:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 24/04/16 16:52, Frank Krygowski wrote:
http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/...ears-1-7871079

The photo looks scary indeed.

We have no trams or trolleys around here, but I've dodged them in other
cities. Here's an interesting sign from Halifax, NS:

https://flic.kr/p/GscXqn

Darwin in action. Where I am in Sausageland there is an extensive tram
network, and some large interchanges. Johny Furriner will usually come
a cropper in the 1st month, after that he or she learns about minimum
angle of attack, effects of rain, points and what happens if you fall
off in front of a tram.

Well, those that survive do anyway.

You can get fooled. The nice new shiny toy your mate has acquired and
been subjected to the time honoured tradition of "Can I have a go
mate!?" should be treated with respect. While your 50mm Fat Apples may
deal with tram tracks with disdain, his hyper-pressure Racing Snakes
probably won't :-(

Old April 25th 16, 09:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel

Am 24.04.2016 um 16:52 schrieb Frank Krygowski:
http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/...ears-1-7871079

The photo looks scary indeed.

Well the Brits have lost their experience cycling around tram tracks
because they didn't have any tram tracks for a generation or two.

In Germany, we have fewer accidents on tram tracks but still tram tracks
significantly raise the accident rate. Ideally, cyclists use roads
without tram track on, second best is to ensure you cross them in a wide
angle, i.e. never ride parallel to the track with less than a foot distance.

Still, in my 15 years in Heidelberg, I fell twice, both times cycling
between the tracks in bad weather (and both times coming home from
chorus rehearsals after 10 PM): once durign light snow fall, some points
made my front wheel go sideways, once during heavy rain I wanted to turn
right where the tracks continued straight on.
Old April 25th 16, 05:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, April 25, 2016 at 4:20:03 AM UTC-4, Rolf Mantel wrote:
[...]

There're LOTS of streetcar/tram tracks in Toronto. Things can get very interesting for the inattentive bicyclist where a east/west and a north/south line intersect and also turn. You very quickly learn to lif the front wheel of the bicycle over each rail. Otherwise a curved rail can easily catch your wheel.

Cheers

Cyclists do not realise that trains run on railway tracks Mrcheerful UK 4 February 14th 14 06:06 PM
New Video: Tracks mux Unicycling 16 February 12th 08 02:13 AM
RR: Fresh Tracks Ride-A-Lot Mountain Biking 8 December 5th 05 06:10 PM
RR tracks Raptor Racing 23 July 13th 05 04:13 PM
Cycle tracks SimonJ UK 683 December 8th 03 05:55 PM