Ikea Bicycles

Old April 26th 16, 11:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Default Ikea Bicycle Assembly Manual (was: Ikea Bicycles)

Andre Jute wrote:
I have a bike guaranteed for ten years with mechanicals on which the
warranty, absent grotesque abuse, is effectively for my lifetime, But --
if I leave this out to spare your sensibilities, the resident scum will
screech to the heavens -- it cost a bit more than an IKEA or a Gazelle or
a Breezer, though less than whatever that ripoff Paramount concoction was
that the local clowns tried to pass off on me as a bike with provenance
for only the price of three heavily optioned BMW. I'm on my iPad,
drinking coffee downstairs, so I'm buggered if know how to look up the
links and paste them in. Google apparently doesn't even let me quote your post...

Andre jute

Try the news tap app for the iPad.

--
duane
Old April 26th 16, 02:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Ikea Bicycle Assembly Manual

On 4/25/2016 6:09 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, April 22, 2016 at 6:28:22 AM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 4/18/2016 5:25 PM, sms wrote:
http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/ikea-to-sell-bikes-in-the-uk/019410

Not much of a deal. I wonder if it is sold in 1000 pieces that need to
be assembled by the purchaser with an Allen wrench and a spoke wrench.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/men/2016/04/14/IKEABIKE-large_trans++nntzVh6i2V8vnWmVeYqabhk1mDTumCeH_NeAr SD702I.jpg

Since in the U.S. there aren't many town bicycles available, other than
department store bikes, it may sell okay, though a Breezer Downtown 8
would be a much better option, for $100 more, fully assembled.

There are, like, no town bikes anywhere! http://clevercycles.com/bicycles/city
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bi...=1&pageSize=12

Oops, sorry. I did not see the shaded out "2" on the Trek page for Urban
and Commuter bikes, and they are all on the second page.

https://www.rei.com/c/urban-bikes?_escaped_fragment_=

Not really. The Barrow is close, but no chain guard. The Gotham could be
modified.

Old April 26th 16, 08:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

Default Ikea Bicycles

"AMuzi" wrote in message
On 4/25/2016 4:13 PM, Ian Field wrote:

"Duane" wrote in message
On 25/04/2016 2:09 PM, Ian Field wrote:

"AMuzi" wrote in message
On 4/24/2016 6:14 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 2:16:47 PM UTC-4, Ian
Field wrote:
"Tosspot" wrote in message
On 23/04/16 23:22, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

snip

Keep Tollin', Trollin' Trollin' though the replies
were rollin'
Keep on
tellin' Ian!

You make absolutely no sense, can't follow
instructions to effect
a very
simple fix but then ridcule those who can and do.
Troll.

I'm not sure. He really may be thick.

Not as thick as the ****wits who think pivot friction
is caused by a
pretty
new PTFE coated cable.

Still an idiot twit aren't you? If there's a groove in
a ferrule end
or a slight hook on the end of the cable housing inside
the ferrule
or if there's damage to the noodle then a brand new
teflon coated
cable WILL DRAG! Unless you take the ferrules off the
housing you
won't be able to see if there's a hook at the end of
the housing. The
thing that you don't or won't understand is that any of
these can
allow free movement of the cable UNTIL it's attached to
the brake
calipers and the tension of the brake springs pulls the
cable inot
the groove or hook on the housing, ferrule or noodle.

Gads man but you sure are dense. Actually I'll go as
far as to say
stupid.

Ride the dang bike without properly functioning brakes
if that floats
your boat. It's about a FIV MINUTES job to
troubleshoot a V-brake
that's not working and only a few more minutes to
either fix the
problem or decide that a new V-brake is needed.

Cheers

You're right that coated wires are prone to shedding and
fraying the
PTFE cover although that's much more common on gear
wires than brake.
That can frustrate mechanics with irregular shift
response until,
pulling the wire out, wads of teflon crud is found in
clumps. Haven't
seen that on brake wires but I assume it's possible.

Its coated - not linered.

The coating just wears through to the metal, the debris
is nothing more
than dust.

But if this group had any right to have "tech" in its
name - at least
one person here would know the difference.

I haven't gotten into this but are you seriously
questioning Andrew's competency about something as simple
as repairing a brake? Or maybe you're replying to the
wrong person?

His comment gave me the impression that he doesn't know the
difference between linered and PTFE coated cables.

"That can frustrate mechanics with irregular shift response
until,
pulling the wire out, wads of teflon crud is found in clumps".

I've never mentioned linered cables, only coated ones - and
those "clumps" only happen with linered cable.

Sir, I did not say anything of the sort.

Maybe the copy/paste function on my PC randomises the target
text......................

Coated gear wires are notorious for shaving off clumps and strands of
PTFE, resulting in random action. They stick sometimes, free up, stick
again later in an annoying manner. This effect is not seen in teflon
casing liners.

Although we see coated brake wires much less frequently and although I
have not seen that effect on brake wires I assume it is possible.

I've seen plenty of linered cables on motorcycles and they all cause
problems sooner or later.

I've never had any problems with PTFE coated cables, maybe they're not as
common - or maybe I've not had cause to remember them.

Old April 26th 16, 10:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 11:31:24 AM UTC+1, Duane wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
I have a bike guaranteed for ten years with mechanicals on which the
warranty, absent grotesque abuse, is effectively for my lifetime, But --
if I leave this out to spare your sensibilities, the resident scum will
screech to the heavens -- it cost a bit more than an IKEA or a Gazelle or
a Breezer, though less than whatever that ripoff Paramount concoction was
that the local clowns tried to pass off on me as a bike with provenance
for only the price of three heavily optioned BMW. I'm on my iPad,
drinking coffee downstairs, so I'm buggered if know how to look up the
links and paste them in. Google apparently doesn't even let me quote your post...

Andre jute

Try the news tap app for the iPad.

--
duane

Thanks, Duane. -- Andre

Ikea folders naked_draughtsman UK 10 July 30th 07 07:11 AM
Folding Bikes (IKEA?) graydoe UK 2 May 13th 07 09:49 PM
Ikea Christmas presents John Wilton UK 4 December 16th 06 11:21 AM
Coffee at IKEA MSeries UK 16 July 17th 06 10:18 PM
Lincoln to Nottingham IKEA, or, The Devil's Day Ride David Nutter UK 6 July 28th 04 09:52 AM