Riding snow

Old February 1st 18, 07:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Lee[_2_]

Default Riding snow

On Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 9:52:32 AM UTC-9, Frank Krygowski wrote:
http://cyclingsavvy.org/2018/01/navi...snowy-streets/

--
- Frank Krygowski

More riding snow:

https://youtu.be/OHEgnVaLZaE
Old February 1st 18, 06:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2/1/2018 1:49 AM, Andrew Lee wrote:
On Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 9:52:32 AM UTC-9, Frank Krygowski wrote:
http://cyclingsavvy.org/2018/01/navi...snowy-streets/

--
- Frank Krygowski

More riding snow:

https://youtu.be/OHEgnVaLZaE

I know the fat tires give flotation, but it still doesn't look like fun.
Looks as much fun as riding through mashed potatoes.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 1st 18, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:
http://cyclingsavvy.org/2018/01/navi...snowy-streets/

Riding in the right tire track is almost the only way when not on an
MTB. However, one must listen carefully all the time. In the city of
Aachen in Germany I was stopped at a red light downhill when I heard a
faint phsssss. Turned around and saw a car sliding towards me, the
driver's eyes wide open and the guy was obviously in panic mode. I just
pulled a bit through red and all was well. With a another car waiting in
front of me that wouldn't have been so pleasant.

--
- Frank Krygowski

More riding snow:

https://youtu.be/OHEgnVaLZaE

I know the fat tires give flotation, but it still doesn't look like fun.
Looks as much fun as riding through mashed potatoes.

Have you never tried it? Then I suggest doing so while it's still winter.

Yesterday I rode 24mi, mostly on muddy singletrack which feels a bit
like deep snow. Sloshing through muck, sliding, riding with the bike
pointing a bit sideways ... fun! Except maybe for the part where the
rear shock mount shook itself loose on a gnarlier section but that was
fixed in a couple of minutes with a 6mm Allen wrench.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old February 1st 18, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:

I know the fat tires give flotation, but it
still doesn't look like fun. Looks as much
fun as riding through mashed potatoes.

Riding snow is among the most fun you can have
on a bike. It is so relaxing but interesting at
the same time, just pure joy.

You don't have to have super fat tires, as in
a fat bike, altho that's nice as well, no, an
ordinary MTB will do.

Only shifting must work to perfection because
otherwise muscling your way thru it will
destroy everything in an instant.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old February 1st 18, 09:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2018-02-01 09:09, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Have you never tried it? Then I suggest doing so while it's still winter.

Yesterday I rode 24mi, mostly on muddy singletrack which feels a bit
like deep snow. Sloshing through muck, sliding, riding with the bike
pointing a bit sideways ... fun! Except maybe for the part where the
rear shock mount shook itself loose on a gnarlier section but that was
fixed in a couple of minutes with a 6mm Allen wrench.

Back in the day, I did quite a lot of mountain biking. I led and
participated in club rides where we explored abandoned or little-used
railroad rights of way (in one case, for 50 miles). We rode abandoned
strip mines and an off-road 4-wheeler recreation area, doing things
scary enough that I would never try them now. I remember riding one
(permitted) trail in Yellowstone, and turning back upon seeing a
steaming pile of bear scat.

I first made my "mashed potatoes" remark sometime in the 1990s, when my
best riding friend at the time bought his mountain bike. (I'd had one
for years.) We celebrated by taking them to explore a gas line
right-of-way through some nearby woods. And we both agreed plowing
through deep snow on a bike was no fun. There's just too much continuous
resistance. We both greatly preferred XC skis for such work, where at
least you can get some glide.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 1st 18, 11:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-02-01 11:20, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

I know the fat tires give flotation, but it
still doesn't look like fun. Looks as much
fun as riding through mashed potatoes.

Riding snow is among the most fun you can have
on a bike. It is so relaxing but interesting at
the same time, just pure joy.

You don't have to have super fat tires, as in
a fat bike, altho that's nice as well, no, an
ordinary MTB will do.

Only shifting must work to perfection because
otherwise muscling your way thru it will
destroy everything in an instant.

Same in mud. Yesterday I stalled out half a dozen times because I forgot
to shift in time. Distracted by horses and all that. Some of them seemed
to have as much fun and looked the part.

Riding in the snow? T.M.C. Unicycling 5 December 14th 08 07:30 PM
DX Snow Riding unitoon Unicycling 13 January 14th 07 08:36 PM
Snow Riding theuniquecyclist Unicycling 6 December 21st 04 11:35 PM
Riding in the snow, another way MP General 4 December 15th 03 06:10 PM
Riding in snow asqlerth Unicycling 15 October 19th 03 12:47 AM