Presta Tube In Schraeder-Drilled Rim: Workaround?

Old March 24th 08, 02:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Presta Tube In Schraeder-Drilled Rim: Workaround?

Jasper Janssen wrote:

Yeah. That's not actually true -- or at least the part about fuses not
being the same. Sure, there are different varieties, but pretty much all
the small-format glass fuses are on the order of cents to dimes when
they're at the factory, and all pretty much match specs.

I bought some fuses from Harbor Freight that were recalled (and
apparently some GM dealers were using them as well).

"http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/09/auto_fuses.html"
Old March 25th 08, 12:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 08:26:50 +0100, Jasper Janssen
may have said:

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 19:55:37 +0100, Jasper Janssen
wrote:
It's not. I've got a couple of rims fitted with adapter devices that push
the tube back exactly as far as a retaining-ring-under would. That does
not cause the tubes any distress. They're better than a pure retaining
ring, though, because they're a) guaranteed to be larger than a schraeder
hole (a presta retaining ring is only guaranteed to be larger than a
*presta* hole) and they keep the valve centered in the hole.

Finally managed to find it in the catalog.

http://www.roseversand.de/output/con...lnummer=493298

80 eurocents (about a buck 20 today) for two. Note that the picture, as
shown, doesn't actually work -- the valve would push it more than clear of
the hole. You need to put it on the valve before you insert it, upside
down, and then it works perfectly. And unlike a grommet, this one will
stay with you for life, unless you throw it away.

The retaining nuts on some of the Prestas in my collection of tubes
would definitely not work as well as the purpose-designed parts
available. First, many of them will not quite thread down to the
tube; the last land of thread on the stem is incomplete. (Some have
no threads, making the question moot for those, of course.) Second,
most of the retaining rings on my spare tubes are quite a bit thicker
than what you're apparently getting; about 2mm, with enough of a
shoulder to cause problems in my experience. If the retaining ring
was just barely able to fit in the Schrader hole (which I have to say
would not be the case with any of mine) then it might present an
opportunity to add a thin washer under the nut while using the nut to
keep the stem well centered in the hole; that might be the best of all
worlds, in my opinion.

I may keep an eye open for retainers like yours; mine are certainly
less useful.

Old March 25th 08, 02:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

bop
Old March 25th 08, 02:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

datakoll aka gene daniels wrote:
bop

http://www.edmontoncyclingclub.fsnet.co.uk/images/flatbike.jpg.

Old March 25th 08, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 21:35:46 -0500, Tom Sherman
may have said:

http://www.edmontoncyclingclub.fsnet...s/flatbike.jpg

Somebody was trying to sell one of those on ebay. They're light, but
hard to keep upright. I don't think they're competition-legal.

Old March 26th 08, 10:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jasper Janssen

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 07:31:24 -0700, SMS wrote:
Jasper Janssen wrote:

Yeah. That's not actually true -- or at least the part about fuses not
being the same. Sure, there are different varieties, but pretty much all
the small-format glass fuses are on the order of cents to dimes when
they're at the factory, and all pretty much match specs.

I bought some fuses from Harbor Freight that were recalled (and
apparently some GM dealers were using them as well).

"http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/09/auto_fuses.html"

Failure of Quality Control, that. If you want guaranteed-to-be-in-spec
rather than likely-to-be-in-spec, you'll pay a premium.

Jasper
Old March 29th 08, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

SMS wrote:

Harbor Freight sells 180 grommets for $4.99,

Actually $2.99 for the next two days.
"http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html/wkend0330/usa_cpnsave.html"