Wrong-way brake levers

Old March 28th 08, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Wrong-way brake levers

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 13:41:35 -0700, Mike Elliott
wrote:

On 3/28/2008 2:10 PM wrote:

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 12:56:13 -0700, Mike Elliott
wrote:

On 3/28/2008 1:21 PM
wrote:

You're right--I never noticed the levers on the early Pedersens:
http://www.dursley-pedersen.net/orig...lebar_grip.jpg
http://www.dursley-pedersen.net/orig...lindemann9.jpg
http://www.dursley-pedersen.net/orig..._img/dp3sm.jpg

http://www.dursley-pedersen.net/orig...y1906a_big.jpg

Something else must have distracted me when I looked at them. :-)

Looks all kinda bouncy.

Dear Mike,

Please, outside the trampoline world we prefer to say "smoothly
compliant" or "anti-vibratory."

Call it what you will, I say it's bouncy.

What the heck is going on at the, er, head tube in this picture?
http://www.dursley-pedersen.net/orig...lindemann9.jpg

It is surely one swell machine.

Dear Mike,

It's a bit complicated. Again, the whole idea of the Pedersen frame
was to provide two points, far apart, to sling the long hammock seat.

Here's the lower end of the steering arrangement, where four
front-wheel "fork" tubes bow out around the rectangular brace, which
attaches to the lower swivel point:
http://www.dursley-pedersen.net/orig...indemann10.jpg

Ignore the shiny rods, which are not frame rods. One is the front
brake, the other is the rear brake. The swivel point is just below the
rear brake rod elbow.

Up at the top, the four front-wheel "fork" tubes meet at the upper
swivel point, which is supported by the four--er, the four "down"
tubes:
http://www.dursley-pedersen.net/orig...lindemann6.jpg

That well-braced upper support can hold a handlebar, or the bars can
be mounted lower on the four "fork" tubes like this:
http://www.dursley-pedersen.net/orig...8_img/stor.jpg

Imagine a normal bike with a handlebar lashed to the fork crown.

This is the kind of suspension seat that Pedersen's frame design
avoided, an early Victor:
http://www.copakeauction.com/bicycle...cycles/013.jpg

Cheers,

Carl Fogel