Rethinking getting Surly Long Haul Trucker frame?

Old April 7th 16, 02:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Rethinking getting Surly Long Haul Trucker frame?

On Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 8:35:04 AM UTC-4, Bertrand wrote:
IIRC, Surly's warranty is only valid if a(n) LBS builds up the frame, as
well. But 3 years is perfectly reasonable, IMO. In other words, it's a
"free from defects" warranty - not a "will last a lifetime" warranty.

http://surlybikes.com//uploads/downl...e_Warranty.pdf

LIMITED WARRANTY

This Surly product is warranted against defects in materials and workmanship
for three years from the date of retail purchase of the product, subject to
the limitations detailed below. Save your dated receipt for proof of
purchase.

This warranty does NOT cover the following:
* Damage due to improper assembly or follow-up maintenance or lack of skill,
competence or experience of the user or assembler
* Products that have been modified, neglected, used in competition or for
commercial purposes, misused or abused, involved in accidents or anything
other than normal use
* Installation of components, parts or accessories not originally intended
for or compatible with bicycle as sold
* Damage or deterioration to the paint, surface finish, aesthetics or
appearance of the product
* Normal wear and tear
* Labor required to remove and/or refit and re-adjust the product within the
bicycle assembly

This limited warranty is expressly limited to the repair or replacement of a
defective product, at the option of Surly, and is the sole remedy of the
warranty. This limited warranty applies only to the original purchaser of
the Surly product and is not transferrable. This warranty applies only to
products purchased through an authorized dealer or distributor. In no event
shall Surly be liable for any loss, inconvenience or damage, whether direct,
incidental, consequential, or otherwise resulting from breach of any express
or implied warranty or condition, of merchantability, fitness for a
particular purpose, or otherwise with respect to our products except as set
forth herein.

This limited warranty gives the consumer specific legal rights, and those
rights and other rights may vary from place to place. This limited warranty
does not affect your statutory rights.

TO THE EXTENT NOT PROHIBITED BY LAW, THESE WARRANTIES ARE EXCLUSIVE AND
THERE ARE NO OTHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS INCLUDING
WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE.

I looked in getting a LHT frame but decided against it when Surly emailed a reply to me about kickstands and they stated that u sing a kickstand would void the warranty.

Cheers
Old April 7th 16, 02:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...st/cscolec.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 7th 16, 04:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 6:52:38 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Is that deformation from a kickstand plate -- on a Colnago? WTF? Anyone who puts a kickstand on a Colnago deserves to have his or her warranty voided.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 7th 16, 05:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/7/2016 10:33 AM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Yep, that snapshot's just before his new chainstays went in.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/cscolec2.jpg

People like what they inscrutably like. As a defense
attorney you are probably familiar with the outliers of
human behavior. It's always the product's fault, never the
idiot plaintiff, right?

Old April 7th 16, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 at 1:21:29 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:

ahem. Not _every_ USA shop.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Andrew I would have to study your invoices and accounts payable records and checking account to believe your shop does not have any dealings with QBP.
Old April 7th 16, 06:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 at 2:54:53 PM UTC-5, Tosspot wrote:

It's going to be me in a decade or so when I can't tie my own shoe laces
and Jobst is plain *WRONG*.

[1] I have two. Quite allright imho.

Go to Google and type in "geriatric shoes". Click on the Images button. You will have lots of choices for shoes that close using Velcro. Just like many cycling shoes use now. Should be an easy transition from cycling shoes to geriatric shoes as you age since both use Velcro.
Old April 7th 16, 07:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 9:12:05 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

True, and God bless you for being so tolerant. I think putting a kickstand on a Colnago is a felony, at least in Italy. I would have turned your customer over to Interpol.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 8th 16, 06:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 06/04/16 22:07, Andre Jute wrote:
On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 at 7:15:40 PM UTC+1,
wrote:
On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 at 8:07:05 AM UTC-5,
wrote:

Surly is the most Arrogant bicycle dealer out there, don't like
the color, they don't give a ****, email them for info, you might
get a reply or a smartass answer. It does seem that the LHT is
the favorite touring bike but I just can't deal with the
Arrogance.

No answer to Frank's question about why a thread from 2011 is
resurrected. But Surly is a division of Quality Bicycle Products
located in Minneapolis. Biggest US distributor of bike parts.
They supply parts and supplies to every US bike shop. Surly, and
Salsa another QBP brand, have everything made in China. Not sure
about their customer service. Is the customer service dept. in
Minneapolis? Or in China? Seems a bit odd that a Chinese made
bike would have customer service in Minneapolis. Seems more
natural that customer service would stay in the country that made
the bike. I can understand why the above person thinks the
customer service is poor. If I was an American working for an
American company and someone called me about a Chinese bike, I'd
say talk to the Chinese. Here is the number for the Chinese
diplomat.

Well, whatever the devil Surly is, I admired their designer a few
years ago when I looked into the Karate Monkey. That's a frame that
gives a home-constructor of his dream bike a lot of possibilities. I
couldn't think of anything I'd want to connect to my bike that wasn't
provided for. The only reason I didn't buy a Karate Monkey frame is
that the construction is nowhere near as superior as the design; in
fact, the welding on the frame I saw was bloody crude. I decided it
was too roughly executed for a sensitive fellow like me. On hand of
the Karate Monkey, which could be my sort of bike if it were made
with rather more punctilio, I'm not surprised to discover that the
Long Haul Trucker is very popular with another kind of cyclist.

I have a Karate Monkey for my Rohloff/Disc brake setup and it does work
well. The welds seem fine to me, rarely seen better, they are nicely
smoothed down and the paint is good. I must get around to putting 622s
on it instead of the 571s it has. Job for the summer :-)

Old April 8th 16, 11:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 4/6/2016 11:21 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/6/2016 1:15 PM, wrote:
[...]

And of course, it's not odd at all that a Chinese made bicycle would be
imported, sold, and have customer support in the U.S., since almost
every major brand sold in the U.S. has some of all of their bicycles
made in China.

Impressive that you don't deal with QBP, just one state over. Do you use
J&B? Not the whiskey.

I know someone who developed a very good bicycle seat. She may have
dropped QBP as a distributor and gone direct only because with the QBP
markups, and then Keystone at the LBS, it's so hard to make a go of it
for a non-China product. But so many shops want to deal only with one
distributor and won't order from multiple sources. Every shop ends up
with same stuff.

For all the LBS bitching you see in letters to Bicycle Retailer Magazine
regarding online sales these QBP-tied shops bring it onto themselves.

Consumers can order low-value Made-In-China items direct from China,
they don't need QBP and the LBS as middlemen. The reason there is "free
shipping" from China and Hong Kong is the way these countries set their
international postage rates. The U.S. Postal Service doesn't get
anything for delivering items sent from China, and conversely, China
Post doesn't get anything for delivering items sent from the U.S.. But
there is a huge disparity in the postage rates.

I end up ordering stuff from LBSes out of the area as well. Paying for
shipping is fine. There are a few LBSes in the U.S., like yours, that
sell more esoteric items that QBP has no interest in.