sport drink

Old October 22nd 12, 05:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.running,sci.med.nutrition,rec.bicycles.misc,misc.fitness.misc
RichD

Default sport drink

I want to mix my own sport drink. Looking at the ingredients
of Gatorade, it's not too appetizing.

I'm thinking, half water, half orange juice. Then, salt, but how
many teaspoons, or grams, per liter? It should match the
body's salinity.

Also potassium, to replenish what's lost in perspiration.
That's why long distance runners eat bananas, I believe.
Can you get potassium in powder form, and what dosage
in the drink?

Other minerals?

--
Rich
Old October 22nd 12, 07:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.running,sci.med.nutrition,rec.bicycles.misc,misc.fitness.misc
Julie Bove[_2_]

RichD wrote:
I want to mix my own sport drink. Looking at the ingredients
of Gatorade, it's not too appetizing.

I'm thinking, half water, half orange juice. Then, salt, but how
many teaspoons, or grams, per liter? It should match the
body's salinity.

Also potassium, to replenish what's lost in perspiration.
That's why long distance runners eat bananas, I believe.
Can you get potassium in powder form, and what dosage
in the drink?

Other minerals?

There are countless recipes online. Let me get you one. Actually this link
even has one for OJ:

http://sportsgirlsplay.com/recipes-f...sports-drinks/

Old October 22nd 12, 12:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.running,sci.med.nutrition,rec.bicycles.misc,misc.fitness.misc
John H. Gohde

On Oct 22, 2:08*am, "Julie Bove" wrote:
RichD wrote:
I want *to mix my own sport drink. *Looking at the ingredients
of Gatorade, it's not too appetizing.

I'm thinking, half water, half orange juice. *Then, salt, but how
many teaspoons, or grams, per liter? *It should match the
body's salinity.

Also potassium, to replenish what's lost in perspiration.
That's why long distance runners eat bananas, I believe.
Can you get potassium in powder form, and what dosage
in the drink?

Other minerals?

There are countless recipes online. *Let me get you one. *Actually this link
even has one for OJ:

http://sportsgirlsplay.com/recipes-f...sports-drinks/

Sports drinks are for stupid kiddies who think drinking that crap
makes them look cool. Come to think of it, ALL athletes are nothing
but a bunch of egotistical morons.
Old October 22nd 12, 12:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.running,sci.med.nutrition,rec.bicycles.misc,misc.fitness.misc
Julie Bove[_2_]

RichD wrote:
I want to mix my own sport drink. Looking at the ingredients
of Gatorade, it's not too appetizing.

I'm thinking, half water, half orange juice. Then, salt, but how
many teaspoons, or grams, per liter? It should match the
body's salinity.

Also potassium, to replenish what's lost in perspiration.
That's why long distance runners eat bananas, I believe.
Can you get potassium in powder form, and what dosage
in the drink?

Other minerals?

There are countless recipes online. Let me get you one. Actually
this link even has one for OJ:

http://sportsgirlsplay.com/recipes-f...sports-drinks/

Sports drinks are for stupid kiddies who think drinking that crap
makes them look cool. Come to think of it, ALL athletes are nothing
but a bunch of egotistical morons.

I wouldn't say "all" but I think quite a few would fall into that category.

I never let my daughter have Gatorade and I would always cringe when the Dr.
said that she needed it. Not all Drs. would say this but some were really
big on it. At least they did come out with G2. No high fructose corn syrup
in that. She currently drinks Propel but it is rare for her to finish a
bottle. She just takes it with her to dance classes. Mostly she drinks
water there. I think she thinks she needs it because most of the other kids
drink the stuff.

Old October 22nd 12, 01:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.running,sci.med.nutrition,rec.bicycles.misc,misc.fitness.misc
Christopher Helms

On Oct 21, 11:41*pm, RichD wrote:
I want *to mix my own sport drink. *Looking at the ingredients
of Gatorade, it's not too appetizing.

Gatoraid isn't really a sports drink so much as a repackaging of Kool-
Aid. They tossed in a little salt and a meaningless amount of
potassium, repositioned it as a "sports drink," gave it to the NFL for
free and sold it to twentysomethings who got sweaty playing basketball
in the driveway for a dollar-fifty a bottle. Anything you make will
probably be better than Gatoraid. And better for you.
Old October 22nd 12, 02:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.running,sci.med.nutrition,rec.bicycles.misc,misc.fitness.misc
Dave Smith[_3_]

On 22/10/2012 7:08 AM, John H. Gohde wrote:

Sports drinks are for stupid kiddies who think drinking that crap
makes them look cool. Come to think of it, ALL athletes are nothing
but a bunch of egotistical morons.

They appeal to people who think that sitting around drinking beer and
eating junk food while watching a sports event on television makes them
athletic.
Old October 22nd 12, 03:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.running,sci.med.nutrition,rec.bicycles.misc,misc.fitness.misc
John H. Gohde

No ****, Sherlock!
Old October 22nd 12, 04:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.running,sci.med.nutrition,rec.bicycles.misc,misc.fitness.misc
Brooklyn1

On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 07:26:06 -0700 (PDT), "John H. Gohde"
wrote:

On Oct 22, 12:41*am, RichD wrote:

I want *to mix my own sport drink. *Looking at the ingredients
of Gatorade, it's not too appetizing.

No ****, Sherlock!

Wrong!

Actually Gatorade is what they have you drink gallons of, with a
laxative, to clean out all your **** before a proctoscope exam.
Old October 22nd 12, 04:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.running,sci.med.nutrition,rec.bicycles.misc,misc.fitness.misc
Brooklyn1

"John H. Gohde" wrote:
RichD wrote:

I want *to mix my own sport drink. *Looking at the ingredients
of Gatorade, it's not too appetizing.

No ****, Sherlock!

Isn't "Gohde" the German for "Have a good ****".
Gohde... enjoy the go... Ach!
Old October 23rd 12, 05:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.running,sci.med.nutrition,rec.bicycles.misc,misc.fitness.misc
Joy Beeson

On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 21:41:49 -0700 (PDT), RichD
wrote:

Also potassium, to replenish what's lost in perspiration.
That's why long distance runners eat bananas,

Calorie for Calorie, oranges have more potassium than bananas do.

Fifty percent orange juice is probably too sweet -- depends on the
weather. I used to put a tablespoon of orange juice in a bike bottle
of water -- and carry a bottle of water wash it down with when it got
too strong for me.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Drink! Tim Hall UK 10 July 15th 07 10:43 PM
Low sodium sport drink? Chris M Techniques 10 October 8th 05 11:08 PM
Ice In your Drink, Sir? B. Lafferty Racing 0 August 27th 05 07:14 PM
Cytomax sport drink Harvey Dent Off Road 10 July 13th 04 06:49 PM
Best Sport Drink? William Riker Mountain Biking 62 June 12th 04 01:00 AM