Phone rings through Hands Free earphone

Old March 8th 14, 01:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Default Phone rings through Hands Free earphone

John B. wrote:
On Fri, 07 Mar 2014 11:35:24 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 3/7/2014 7:57 AM, John B. wrote:
I do four hours and up, on my "Sunday Ride" and carry my phone in a
rear jersey pocket and find that I can seldom hear the phone ring
while I'm moving.

I tried plugging in a "hands-free" and wearing that during the ride
but that proved valueless as I than had an ear phone in my ear but the
phone ringing in my back pocket :-(

Are there any versions of Android, or any add on Apps, that allow the
phone to ring through the hands-free ear piece?

I solved that problem elegantly:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...ast/newfon.jpg

YMMV.

That is one solution, however...

A couple of years ago I crashed and broke my pelvis, which in turn
resulted in a month in the hospital and a period of hopping around on
crutches and a certain amount of pain and loss of motion.

This, in turn, causes my wife to worry if I decide to take the long
way round and am a bit later getting home then expected. Having been
educated by the grand-kids my wife expects the entire world to be at
the other end of a cellular hand phone (just use this number and you
can talk to California) and when I don't answer SOMETHING MUST BE
WRONG!

When my wife worries her emotions seem to veer between worry about her
poor old husband who may be laying, broken and bloody on the road, and
"WHY DOESN'T THAT S.O.B. ANSWER HIS PHONE!" and by the time I arrive
at the manse the latter attitude seems to predominate and instead of a
relaxing shower and snack I get an ear full.

Answering the phone seems to be, far and away, the most elegant
solution.... if I can just figure out how :-)

I used to just carry my phone turned off. It was there in case of
emergency. After a crash I had my wife insists that it's on. So I see
exactly what you mean. But I just turn off the speaker and put it on
vibrate.

FWIW though with my ear buds in or with any blue tooth device connected
(hands free ear widget or car blue tooth) the ring goes through the device.
I have an iPhone though. Maybe it's different with a galaxy.
--
duane
Old March 8th 14, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, March 7, 2014 8:57:49 AM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
I do four hours and up, on my "Sunday Ride" and carry my phone in a

rear jersey pocket and find that I can seldom hear the phone ring

while I'm moving.

I tried plugging in a "hands-free" and wearing that during the ride

but that proved valueless as I than had an ear phone in my ear but the

phone ringing in my back pocket :-(

Are there any versions of Android, or any add on Apps, that allow the

phone to ring through the hands-free ear piece?

--

Cheers,

John B.

How about getting a handlebar mount for the phone?

Or make one. A handlebar bottle cage mount, a cell phone case bolted to the bottle cage mount a little padding inside the case and you should be good to go.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YOOVIO/...N=B000Y OOVIO

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ASWIUQ/...N=B001A SWIUQ

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CJZ9HW/...N=B001C JZ9HW

Those are some examples.

Cheers
Old March 8th 14, 02:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Friday, March 7, 2014 8:57:49 AM UTC-5, John B. wrote:

Are there any versions of Android, or any add on Apps, that allow the
phone to ring through the hands-free ear piece?

I went to the Google Play Store and searched on "bluetooth earpiece ringer" and
got lots of hits, for example
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d... .manager.demo

to listen to ringtone of headset only.(Samsung, LG, HTC, etc.)

While wearing the headset, it blocks ringtone of speaker only." etc.

(OK, I actually searched on "bluetoogh earpiece ringer" but it seemed to work.
Blasted new keyboard...)

- Frank Krygowski
Old March 8th 14, 03:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 3/7/2014 7:57 AM, John B. wrote:

[...]

HHHHHHHHHHHHH

by what means did you arrive at where you are now ?

is there a 911 ? or what .....
Old March 8th 14, 04:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

Try sewing a phone pocket to the front of your jersey.

Put it well up on the shoulder, and close it with a safety pin.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/
Old March 8th 14, 05:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

On 3/7/2014 7:57 AM, John B. wrote:
[...]

I have a cell phone---a 10 year clam shell---which my wife got for me to
take when riding. That's the only time I carry it, and I leave it off;
the last thing I want is to deal with a call while riding. I did use it
when I crashed and broke my leg last year; called her at work while
lying in the emergency room.

--
Joe Riel
Old March 8th 14, 09:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

On 3/7/2014 7:57 AM, John B. wrote:
[...]

You call her when you are later than expected. No news is good
news/nothing is wrong. That arrangement works for most of us. It is
ridiculous to ride bike with a blue tooth headset just to not miss a call.

Lou
Old March 8th 14, 11:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Fri, 7 Mar 2014 18:59:55 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Friday, March 7, 2014 8:57:49 AM UTC-5, John B. wrote:

Are there any versions of Android, or any add on Apps, that allow the
phone to ring through the hands-free ear piece?

I went to the Google Play Store and searched on "bluetooth earpiece ringer" and
got lots of hits, for example
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d... .manager.demo

to listen to ringtone of headset only.(Samsung, LG, HTC, etc.)

While wearing the headset, it blocks ringtone of speaker only." etc.

(OK, I actually searched on "bluetoogh earpiece ringer" but it seemed to work.
Blasted new keyboard...)

- Frank Krygowski

I just had a quick look (I'm doing this on a hand phone) and that
looks like it might be the solution. I'll download the app and try it
out.

Thanks.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old March 8th 14, 11:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 3/7/2014 7:57 AM, John B. wrote:
[...]

I tried that - "Don't worry, I'll call if there is any problem". It
doesn't work. The usual response is "I was worried about you. Why
didn't you call!"
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old March 8th 14, 11:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sat, 08 Mar 2014 00:43:10 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

Try sewing a phone pocket to the front of your jersey.

Put it well up on the shoulder, and close it with a safety pin.

Geeze Joy, Road cyclist. Trying for that flat back position. Big
pocket onna front of the shirt. I'm gonna look like my bra strap
broke.
:-)
--
Cheers,