Phone rings through Hands Free earphone

Old March 8th 14, 11:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Phone rings through Hands Free earphone

On Sat, 8 Mar 2014 01:43:06 +0000 (UTC), Duane wrote:

John B. wrote:
On Fri, 07 Mar 2014 11:35:24 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 3/7/2014 7:57 AM, John B. wrote:
I do four hours and up, on my "Sunday Ride" and carry my phone in a
rear jersey pocket and find that I can seldom hear the phone ring
while I'm moving.

I tried plugging in a "hands-free" and wearing that during the ride
but that proved valueless as I than had an ear phone in my ear but the
phone ringing in my back pocket :-(

Are there any versions of Android, or any add on Apps, that allow the
phone to ring through the hands-free ear piece?

I solved that problem elegantly:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...ast/newfon.jpg

YMMV.

That is one solution, however...

A couple of years ago I crashed and broke my pelvis, which in turn
resulted in a month in the hospital and a period of hopping around on
crutches and a certain amount of pain and loss of motion.

This, in turn, causes my wife to worry if I decide to take the long
way round and am a bit later getting home then expected. Having been
educated by the grand-kids my wife expects the entire world to be at
the other end of a cellular hand phone (just use this number and you
can talk to California) and when I don't answer SOMETHING MUST BE
WRONG!

When my wife worries her emotions seem to veer between worry about her
poor old husband who may be laying, broken and bloody on the road, and
"WHY DOESN'T THAT S.O.B. ANSWER HIS PHONE!" and by the time I arrive
at the manse the latter attitude seems to predominate and instead of a
relaxing shower and snack I get an ear full.

Answering the phone seems to be, far and away, the most elegant
solution.... if I can just figure out how :-)

I used to just carry my phone turned off. It was there in case of
emergency. After a crash I had my wife insists that it's on. So I see
exactly what you mean. But I just turn off the speaker and put it on
vibrate.

I put the phone in a baggy to protect it from sweat and rain and
usually in the same pocket I have a bit of cash and the house key. But
the vibes never seem to get through to me :-)

FWIW though with my ear buds in or with any blue tooth device connected
(hands free ear widget or car blue tooth) the ring goes through the device.
I have an iPhone though. Maybe it's different with a galaxy.

I'm having a dull day so spent a bit of time with the phone. Tried all
the ear buds I've got - all original Samsung. Not a one of them
"ring". We are going back to Bangkok tomorrow so I'll hit the Cell
Phone Center next week and see about a bluetooth gizmo and if that
rings I'm saved :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old March 8th 14, 11:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Fri, 07 Mar 2014 21:20:33 -0800, Joe Riel wrote:

On 3/7/2014 7:57 AM, John B. wrote:
[...]

I have a cell phone---a 10 year clam shell---which my wife got for me to
take when riding. That's the only time I carry it, and I leave it off;
the last thing I want is to deal with a call while riding. I did use it
when I crashed and broke my leg last year; called her at work while
lying in the emergency room.

I made my call from the highway verge with the cars whizzing by :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old March 8th 14, 11:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Fri, 7 Mar 2014 17:45:17 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Friday, March 7, 2014 8:57:49 AM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
I do four hours and up, on my "Sunday Ride" and carry my phone in a

rear jersey pocket and find that I can seldom hear the phone ring

while I'm moving.

I tried plugging in a "hands-free" and wearing that during the ride

but that proved valueless as I than had an ear phone in my ear but the

phone ringing in my back pocket :-(

Are there any versions of Android, or any add on Apps, that allow the

phone to ring through the hands-free ear piece?

--

Cheers,

John B.

How about getting a handlebar mount for the phone?

Or make one. A handlebar bottle cage mount, a cell phone case bolted to the bottle cage mount a little padding inside the case and you should be good to go.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YOOVIO/...N=B000Y OOVIO

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ASWIUQ/...N=B001A SWIUQ

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CJZ9HW/...N=B001C JZ9HW

Those are some examples.

Cheers

Disregarding how easily the phone just slips into a rear pocket, I
wonder whether a handle bar mount would survive a good hard crash on
pavement?
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old March 8th 14, 12:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

On 3/7/2014 7:57 AM, John B. wrote:
[...]

I keep mine in a Baggie when it's raining. I have a bag that attaches to
my top bar. It's big enough to hold a cell phone, some cash and a couple
snack bars. I don't like the weight in my back pocket.
I won't answer the phone when riding. I keep it on vibrate and usually
check it if I stop for a break.

FWIW though with my ear buds in or with any blue tooth device connected
(hands free ear widget or car blue tooth) the ring goes through the device.
I have an iPhone though. Maybe it's different with a galaxy.

I'm having a dull day so spent a bit of time with the phone. Tried all
the ear buds I've got - all original Samsung. Not a one of them
"ring". We are going back to Bangkok tomorrow so I'll hit the Cell
Phone Center next week and see about a bluetooth gizmo and if that
rings I'm saved :-)

Maybe it's a Samsung feature.
--
duane
Old March 8th 14, 02:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/8/2014 5:25 AM, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 08 Mar 2014 00:43:10 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

Try sewing a phone pocket to the front of your jersey.

Put it well up on the shoulder, and close it with a safety pin.

Geeze Joy, Road cyclist. Trying for that flat back position. Big
pocket onna front of the shirt. I'm gonna look like my bra strap
broke.
:-)

Fashion is ever changing.
Some guys carry that look well:
http://drhardie2003.files.wordpress....2/p1010340.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 8th 14, 02:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

I was thinking that a hndlebar phone holder would let you hear it ringing. After all many bicycle computers have alarms functions that you can hear. If the phone is secured to the mounted cell phone holder near the stem then it's going to be well protected in a crash; in fact a lot more protected than just being in a jersey pocket.

Cheers
Old March 8th 14, 04:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Saturday, March 8, 2014 6:25:39 AM UTC-5, John B. wrote:

I put the phone in a baggy to protect it from sweat and rain and
usually in the same pocket I have a bit of cash and the house key. But
the vibes never seem to get through to me :-)

Apparently, just as many people have the opposite problem: feeling the vibes
when the vibes are not there!

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/m...208-1rc21.html

http://paradelle.wordpress.com/2012/...om-vibrations/

- Frank Krygowski
Old March 8th 14, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Martin Borsje[_9_]

John B. explained on 07.03.14 :
I do four hours and up, on my "Sunday Ride" and carry my phone in a
rear jersey pocket and find that I can seldom hear the phone ring
while I'm moving.

I tried plugging in a "hands-free" and wearing that during the ride
but that proved valueless as I than had an ear phone in my ear but the
phone ringing in my back pocket :-(

Are there any versions of Android, or any add on Apps, that allow the
phone to ring through the hands-free ear piece?

Get a life!

If you pause check if somebody called you more than twice and call
back.

If not it can wait.
Old March 8th 14, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Saturday, March 8, 2014 9:58:32 AM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I was thinking that a hndlebar phone holder would let you hear it ringing.. After all many bicycle computers have alarms functions that you can hear. If the phone is secured to the mounted cell phone holder near the stem then it's going to be well protected in a crash; in fact a lot more protected than just being in a jersey pocket.

I love handlebar bags. I have them on most bikes. My cell phone rides in the
handlebar bag.

When I first started carrying a phone, back when I was still commuting by bike, I had it in some sort of holster on my belt. Within a few days, the holster popped off my belt and fell to the road, disgorging the phone. No such problems with the handlebar bag.

- Frank Krygowski
Old March 9th 14, 02:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

AE6KS

http://goo.gl/m16LrQ

eyahahaha....solved a prob with Grainger's liquid tape red...

incroyable.

broken USB wire at charger nipple.....

cut nipple with new razor at seam down center of double wire....separated wires...stripped 3/16ths upper side break of insulation half off ie just partial...

leaving core intact

then laid in copper wire inserting one end down into into nipple body against break...upper side twisted new wire segment over exposed wire and remaining insulation there...

plugged unit into ac...it works !!!

then with unit running covered surfaces with a liberal glob of liquid tape over wire n down over nipple for support.

with unit running, sat in hot sun with battery/Mifi charging under cover 6" away. cures in 3 hours, noodor in enclosed space tonight with a winter chill.

damn proprietary signal equipped chargers are outrageous$

assume this splice n liquid tape works with eg earphones