Pulling Over Errant Drivers while on a Bicycle

Old April 22nd 16, 05:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Pulling Over Errant Drivers while on a Bicycle

On 4/22/2016 8:38 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I lived in the greater Smog Angeles area between about 1955 and about
1972. I survived. There used to be several really good surplus
stores in the San Fernando Valley, but I don't recall the names.

As manufacturing disappeared, so did most of those stores. We had
several in the Bay Area, now only Halted Specialties remains.

Last time I picked up one of these:
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/es-903/loud-mini-siren-12-vdc/1.html
for $10 (their in-store prices are lower) but I have not done anything
with it yet. I need a small 12V battery for it.

Hub or wheel generator power? I like the idea. Much better than a
bicycle bell.

Not for 12V, well not easily. I will get a small 12V SLA battery, and
one of these handlebar switches for $1.76
http://oi64.tinypic.com/293hg77.jpg. I could also get four RCR123A
batteries but that's a hassle to get the battery holders and make an
enclosure and have to keep the battery charged

Years ago I had bought something similar which was advertised as a horn,
but was really a car alarm siren, but it sounded like a horn with just a
short press. I accidentally pulled over a Mercedes on Mission College
Boulevard in Santa Clara one day, so yesterday's event was not
unprecedented. But it was really too big and as the bicycle
infrastructure improved I was taking routes that rarely required a loud
horn.

To complete the masquerade, I suggest you paint your bicycle in police
colors. Well, maybe not. Looks like they mostly come in basic black:
https://www.google.com/search?q=police+bicycle&tbm=isch
No imagination. For a logo or name, I suggest something similar to
"POLICE" such as "POLICY" or "POLITE". I guess the bags and panniers
would also need to be black.

I was just going to do "POCILE."

Hmmm... Instead of a flashing red rear tail light, perhaps a red LED
and a 45 degree rotating mirror? Something like a miniature "gum ball
machine" revolving red light found on the roof of older police and
fire vehicles.
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=revolving+red+light
There are some fairly small ones available, but methinks all are too
large for a bicycle tail light. This might be close:
http://www.safetylightsandsignals.com/p-1180-police-lights-make-hockey-hard-hats-fun-and-fashionable-for-fans.aspx
but I was thinking of something about 1/4th the size.

I think that this one would do:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/emergency-strobe/9-in-1-super-bright-led-safety-flare/1317/
and they come in blue. I actually have something similar, but not in blue.
Old April 22nd 16, 05:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 09:07:24 -0700, sms
wrote:

As manufacturing disappeared, so did most of those stores. We had
several in the Bay Area, now only Halted Specialties remains.

Yep. I grew up digging through the WWII and Korean war military
surplus hardware stores. When the military surplus dried up, they
went to industrial surplus. Them was the good olde daze.

Not for 12V, well not easily. I will get a small 12V SLA battery, and
one of these handlebar switches for $1.76
http://oi64.tinypic.com/293hg77.jpg. I could also get four RCR123A
batteries but that's a hassle to get the battery holders and make an
enclosure and have to keep the battery charged

I like the switch, but NOT the set screw mounting. I think a single
18650 cell and a 3.7V to 12V DC-DC converter might be easier and
cheaper. You don't really need lots of capacity (ma-hrs), just 12V
for a few seconds.

Years ago I had bought something similar which was advertised as a horn,
but was really a car alarm siren, but it sounded like a horn with just a
short press. I accidentally pulled over a Mercedes on Mission College
Boulevard in Santa Clara one day, so yesterday's event was not
unprecedented. But it was really too big and as the bicycle
infrastructure improved I was taking routes that rarely required a loud
horn.

I was walking on the bridge across the San Lorenzo River near my
office one day. Of course, I wasn't paying attention and cyclist
snuck up behind me, tooted her horn, and rode off. The problem was
that it was more like an air horn from a big diesel truck, and it was
very loud. However, she rode off before I could get a close look.

I was just going to do "POCILE."

Sigh. Yeah, that will work.

I think that this one would do:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/emergency-strobe/9-in-1-super-bright-led-safety-flare/1317/
and they come in blue. I actually have something similar, but not in blue.

Yep. I've seen some really bright ones in use on the highway.
However, I suggested a rotating mirror so that it more closely
resembles a police bicycle. Such a tail light is probably not legal,
but should get you plenty of notoriety after it's banned.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old April 22nd 16, 11:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, April 22, 2016 at 9:19:01 AM UTC-4, sms wrote:
On 4/21/2016 10:25 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 19:09:41 -0700, sms
wrote:

I wonder what he was thinking.

He was probably considering the merits of calling the police to
complain about a cyclist impersonating an officer.

Now that I have a child-unit going to college in southern California
I've been driving down there every few months. I try to stop in Van Nuys
at All Electronics, a store I've been ordering from for decades
,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m4!1spXa54FKx7Oiz_UsNI5LlkA!2e0!7i1 3312!8i6656!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x5f9605396beeb67e!6 m1!1e1

Last time I picked up one of these:
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/es-903/loud-mini-siren-12-vdc/1.html
for $10 (their in-store prices are lower) but I have not done anything
with it yet. I need a small 12V battery for it.

CONTINUITY ....DOOR OPEN ........LIGHTS ON .......BATTERY DRAINING (SOMEWHERE) ...COFFEE BREAK.
Old April 22nd 16, 11:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

WHITE HELMET....BLACK 'LEATHER' or black nylon whatever....jacket with boots...

there's a spectrum here you can imagine

https://www.google.com/search?site=i...06.z11qNfhdp6A

https://goo.gl/Xzxj9Q
Old April 23rd 16, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, April 22, 2016 at 6:27:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:
WHITE HELMET....BLACK 'LEATHER' or black nylon whatever....jacket with boots...

there's a spectrum here you can imagine

https://www.google.com/search?site=i...06.z11qNfhdp6A

https://goo.gl/Xzxj9Q

go with a Springtime For Hitler look....lip stick....wax ur hair....fag velvet engineering boots...
Old April 23rd 16, 03:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 07:34:04 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

Aren't sirens illegal in many areas?

I hope not:
https://www.google.com/search?q=siren+greek+mythology&tbm=isch
I was planning to attach one on the front fender of my street machine.
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=bicycle+fender+ornament

Incidentally, ever take a close look at the Starbucks Coffee logo?
It's a siren:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=siren+greek+mythology+starbucks

Old April 23rd 16, 03:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

wrote:

Aren't sirens illegal in many areas?

I hope not:
https://www.google.com/search?q=siren+greek+mythology&tbm=isch
I was planning to attach one on the front fender of my street machine.
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=bicycle+fender+ornament

Incidentally, ever take a close look at the Starbucks Coffee logo?
It's a siren:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=siren+greek+mythology+starbucks

I'm sure that there is some law against the kind Jeff wants.

Old April 23rd 16, 03:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 4/22/2016 7:16 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 12:36:46 -0700, sms
wrote:

It'd be better to use three or four Li-Ion or Li-Po batteries in series,
i.e. 16340's (RCR123), or even just three or four primary CR123A
batteries in series. A boost converter from 3.0-3.7V to 12V at 1A (what
the unit draws) is pretty big. You need a boost converter capable of 15W
to have some margin.

Dunno. I haven't done any of the calculations. I don't know how much
the siren draws. Digging...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201561465700
2-24v in. 5-28V out at 2A. For 12V, that's 24 watts. I could
probably find something better, but probably not cheaper at $1.23.

If you look at the data sheet for that IC, you can only get that much
current when the input and output voltage are a small percentage apart.

For 3.6 to 12 you'd get maybe 600mA.

On all the boost modules I've seen, they claim very high current until
you look more closely.

I've been buying the same type battery for all my toys from HobbyKing,
but with XT-60 connectors, which I like much better.

I would probably cut off that connector and use the connector I use for
most of my 12V stuff on cars and bikes:
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/category/195/connectors-weather-resistant/1.html

Old April 23rd 16, 06:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

It'd be better to use three or four Li-Ion or Li-Po batteries in series,
i.e. 16340's (RCR123), or even just three or four primary CR123A
batteries in series. A boost converter from 3.0-3.7V to 12V at 1A (what
the unit draws) is pretty big. You need a boost converter capable of 15W
to have some margin.

Dunno. I haven't done any of the calculations. I don't know how much
the siren draws. Digging...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201561465700
2-24v in. 5-28V out at 2A. For 12V, that's 24 watts. I could
probably find something better, but probably not cheaper at $1.23.

If you look at the data sheet for that IC, you can only get that much
current when the input and output voltage are a small percentage apart.

For 3.6 to 12 you'd get maybe 600mA.

On all the boost modules I've seen, they claim very high current until
you look more closely.

Oops. Y'er right. I tried finding a bigger boost regulator, but
couldn't find anything in the voltage range needed. I could design
and build a suitable board, but then the cost would make a 3 battery
solution cheaper.

I've been buying the same type battery for all my toys from HobbyKing,
but with XT-60 connectors, which I like much better.

I would probably cut off that connector and use the connector I use for
most of my 12V stuff on cars and bikes:
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/category/195/connectors-weather-resistant/1.html

All my Motorola land mobile radios come with that connector. I hate
it. I can't easily replace the connector without also replacing the
cable, unless I want to do an ugly splice job. The exposed - pin
tends to break off. There are pigtails, jumpers, and extensions
available that are reverse polarized on one end like this one.
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/con-319/2-conductor-weather-resistant-connector-14awg/1.html
I can't buy just the connector and am stuck with using a spliced
pigtail. Incidentally, the advert claims they're weather resistant
(whatever that means), but I suspect otherwise based on dealing with
some connector corrosion. Those are probably ok for trailer lights,
but I suggest you look for something better like XT60 or Anderson
power pole for anything that carries several amps or more.

Old April 24th 16, 04:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

wrote:

[...]

I've never had one break. I prefer a neat splice job with a molded
connector to soldering just a connector and trying to strain relief it
properly.