Hub overhaul - now no clicking from paws

Old July 18th 05, 07:24 PM
NoNeedForAName

Default Hub overhaul - now no clicking from paws

Overhauled my XT rear hub with very generous amounts of Phil Wood
grease, now the paws don't click when I spin the wheel. They still
engage and don't feel like they are sticking. I'm guessing some of the
grease got squished up into that area. Anybody ever had this happen?

-n
Old July 18th 05, 07:31 PM
Justin Carline

The answer is never to use grease, only use a few drop of light oil only.
The grease will begin to harden over time, this will cause you no end of
problems.

Old July 18th 05, 07:44 PM
NoNeedForAName

Justin Carline wrote:
The answer is never to use grease, only use a few drop of light oil only.
The grease will begin to harden over time, this will cause you no end of
problems.

No grease on hub bearings? Are you sure? I did not grease the paws
directly, it got pushed up there by accident.

-n

Old July 18th 05, 08:07 PM
Zog The Undeniable

NoNeedForAName wrote:

Justin Carline wrote:

The answer is never to use grease, only use a few drop of light oil
only. The grease will begin to harden over time, this will cause you
no end of problems.

No grease on hub bearings? Are you sure? I did not grease the paws
directly, it got pushed up there by accident.

I would remove the freehub and flush it. It will mean regreasing the RH
bearing, but that's better than the pawls clogging on the road.
Old July 18th 05, 08:13 PM
NoNeedForAName

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

I would remove the freehub and flush it.

Zog,

Could you please explain how to flush a freewheel body.

Thanks,

Old July 18th 05, 08:59 PM
Zog The Undeniable

NoNeedForAName wrote:

Could you please explain how to flush a freewheel body.

Remove axle and RH ball bearings. Insert a 10mm allen key (that's a
very big one) right into and beyond the race, and remove the freehub
body; it's a normal RH thread so turn it anticlockwise. Keep the hollow
bolt and washer safe. At the back of the freehub there is a seal to
remove - note which way round it goes. Run a very light oil (sewing
machine oil?) through the body to flush it thoroughly, so that the pawl
noise comes back. Replace in the opposite order to removal.

There is a rare tool called a Morningstar Freehub Buddy which makes the
flushing more effective. You can use it to flush properly with solvent
then blow dry with compressed air before relubricating.

If you can't get the pawl noise back, buy a new freehub body. They're
not outrageously expensive.
Old July 18th 05, 09:41 PM
NoNeedForAName

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
Remove axle and RH ball bearings. Insert a 10mm allen key (that's a
very big one) right into and beyond the race, and remove the freehub
body; it's a normal RH thread so turn it anticlockwise. Keep the hollow
bolt and washer safe. At the back of the freehub there is a seal to
remove - note which way round it goes. Run a very light oil (sewing
machine oil?) through the body to flush it thoroughly, so that the pawl
noise comes back. Replace in the opposite order to removal.

There is a rare tool called a Morningstar Freehub Buddy which makes the
flushing more effective. You can use it to flush properly with solvent
then blow dry with compressed air before relubricating.

If you can't get the pawl noise back, buy a new freehub body. They're
not outrageously expensive.

Great! Good as new now - I owe you one

-n
Old July 18th 05, 11:01 PM
bfd

Go here for more instructions and pictures!:

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/..._freehub.shtml

Old July 19th 05, 01:39 PM
Peter Cole

NoNeedForAName wrote:
Overhauled my XT rear hub with very generous amounts of Phil Wood
grease, now the paws don't click when I spin the wheel. They still
engage and don't feel like they are sticking. I'm guessing some of the
grease got squished up into that area. Anybody ever had this happen?

I wouldn't worry about it. You might have problems in cold weather if
the grease stiffens enough to cause the pawls to stick. I don't know how
you got grease in there, things are pretty well sealed. You need a big
Allen (10mm) to get the freehub body off of the freehub, you can then
carefully remove the thin rubber o-ring like seal from the back side and
flush/oil around the many tiny ball bearings there, without dismantling
the freehub body. I generally buy rear freehubs when I see a good sale
and use them for parts -- cheaper than buying parts separately, and all
the Shimano stuff is usually interchangeable.

Clicking fixie David Huggins-Daines Techniques 18 June 10th 05 10:05 PM
another geek question: fork overhaul w e i Mountain Biking 3 November 8th 03 12:58 AM
clicking muniracer Unicycling 2 September 22nd 03 02:44 PM
Is cleaning part of a complete ($140) overhaul ? mark freedman Techniques 30 September 20th 03 05:41 AM
Clicking Eggbeater Pedals Me Mountain Biking 4 July 14th 03 10:22 PM