How do I get my Klein Attitude to shift properly?

Old March 8th 07, 09:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
rocketman

Default How do I get my Klein Attitude to shift properly?

My 2001 Klein Attitude Race MTB is exhibiting sluggish, slow and terribly
imprecise shifting. By adjusting the shifter trim barrel, I can get it to
shift up, or shift down somewhat accurately, but not both. I can feel a lot
of friction in the shifter cables; and I can't seem to fix it. I tore the
cables out, cleaned the Klein cable housing/liners and replaced the shifter
cables about 200 miles ago; but shifting is still awful.

FWIW, I'm running full XT components, and everything is in good shape. What
is the secret to getting a Klein hardtail to shift right without radically
altering the cable routing? I scoured the web, and found nothing useful.
Is this just something you have to live with to ride a Klein?

Any help will be appreciated. I hope not, because I love this frame!

rocketman

Old March 8th 07, 10:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman

"rocketman" wrote in message
m...
My 2001 Klein Attitude Race MTB is exhibiting sluggish, slow and terribly
imprecise shifting. By adjusting the shifter trim barrel, I can get it to
shift up, or shift down somewhat accurately, but not both. I can feel a

lot
of friction in the shifter cables; and I can't seem to fix it. I tore the
cables out, cleaned the Klein cable housing/liners and replaced the

shifter
cables about 200 miles ago; but shifting is still awful.

Replace the housings. They wear too.

FWIW, I'm running full XT components, and everything is in good shape.

What
is the secret to getting a Klein hardtail to shift right without radically
altering the cable routing? I scoured the web, and found nothing useful.
Is this just something you have to live with to ride a Klein?

Too much radial play in the upper derailleur pulley?

Lou

Old March 8th 07, 01:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Mar 8, 2:54 am, "rocketman" wrote:
My 2001 Klein Attitude Race MTB is exhibiting sluggish, slow and terribly
imprecise shifting. By adjusting the shifter trim barrel, I can get it to
shift up, or shift down somewhat accurately, but not both. I can feel a lot
of friction in the shifter cables; and I can't seem to fix it. I tore the
cables out, cleaned the Klein cable housing/liners and replaced the shifter
cables about 200 miles ago; but shifting is still awful.

FWIW, I'm running full XT components, and everything is in good shape. What
is the secret to getting a Klein hardtail to shift right without radically
altering the cable routing? I scoured the web, and found nothing useful.
Is this just something you have to live with to ride a Klein?

Any help will be appreciated. I hope not, because I love this frame!

rocketman

It is critical that the housing and ferrule of the shift cable enter
the frame at an angle where the housing and ferrule point aft along
the downtube. May need a bit of filing to make it happen. These goofy
internal raoutings make for a lot of drag right where the housing
enters the downtube, anything you can do to make it straighter will
help.

Old March 8th 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

rocketman wrote:
My 2001 Klein Attitude Race MTB is exhibiting sluggish, slow and terribly
imprecise shifting. By adjusting the shifter trim barrel, I can get it to
shift up, or shift down somewhat accurately, but not both. I can feel a lot
of friction in the shifter cables; and I can't seem to fix it. I tore the
cables out, cleaned the Klein cable housing/liners and replaced the shifter
cables about 200 miles ago; but shifting is still awful.

FWIW, I'm running full XT components, and everything is in good shape. What
is the secret to getting a Klein hardtail to shift right without radically
altering the cable routing? I scoured the web, and found nothing useful.
Is this just something you have to live with to ride a Klein?

Any help will be appreciated. I hope not, because I love this frame!

Derailleur mount dead vertical? Upper pulley worn? ( for that matter,
how's your chain?). Did you replace the _complete_ cable with casing,
wires, metal ferrules or just the wires?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old March 8th 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
rocketman

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Thanks a lot, I'll check that trouble spot more closely. I had wondered if
these cable entry/exit points could be the culprits.

Old March 8th 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
rocketman

"A Muzi" wrote in message
rocketman wrote:
[...]

The chain measures correctly, and the cassette has very low miles on it
(under 500).

Did you replace the _complete_ cable with casing, wires, metal ferrules or
just the wires?

It's been long enough that I've forgotten. I just remember replacing the
cables themselves (though I usually replace housings and ferrules). I
didn't replace the Klein-specific moly liner that runs through the frame
tubing. It was slightly worn; but serviceable. I did flush out the
internal cable liner. Since the frame has downtube routing, the exit point
just ahead of the BB shell gets pretty mucked-up with dirt (the moly cable
liner/housing sticks out a little bit to protect the cable). Another strike
against the Klein frame, I guess.

Thanks for your help.

Old March 8th 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
rocketman

"Lou Holtman" wrote in message

"rocketman" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I'll check it; but I think it's fine. This bike hasn't seen many miles. I
think the problem is somewhere in the cabling - just not sure where. I have
thought about installing a stronger return spring on the XT rear derailleur.
I understand they are available as after-market parts, though I'm not sure
from where, exactly.

Thanks for your help.