ABC 774 talkback etc

Old May 16th 06, 01:02 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default ABC 774 talkback etc

This morns program has seen so far a wide-ranging discussion of cycling
and related issues,

- problems with using PT & bikes with families,
- the old chestnut of licensing bikes,
- several (reasonably balanced) shaggy dogs stories,
- drivers issues with cyclist safely (yes, they don't want to hurt us)
- TAC concerns,
- riding with kids,
- interview with Harry Barber,
- reducing congestion via promoting cycling with seperate facilities,
- drivers negative attitudes to cyclists.
- is using a mobile while cycling illegal?

The licensing issue didn't get much chop with listeners. Someone texted
in and mentioned why not license walking, he might as well place a rego
plate on his bum. Other news - Victoria police are launching a major
crackdown on drivers using mobiles.

Probably more I haven't listed. A podcast of the first half-hour is
usually available by 11am
http://www.abc.net.au/melbourne/mornings/

--
cfsmtb

Old May 16th 06, 02:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle

cfsmtb wrote:

This morns program has seen so far a wide-ranging discussion of cycling
and related issues,

Probably more I haven't listed. A podcast of the first half-hour is
usually available by 11am
http://www.abc.net.au/melbourne/mornings/

What's with melbourne? radio and cycling advocacy? Are these national
broadcasts? Can you give us a heads up prior to the broadcasts

Sam
(In Sinney)

Old May 16th 06, 03:43 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Cycling while talking on a mobile is stupid, regardless of whether it is
illegal or not. It's up there with carrying shopping bags on the
handlebars or carrying flowers in one hand while going downhill in the
middle of cbd traffic (something i saw the other day) - all are
behaviours waiting for an accident to happen. I had an idiot answer his
phone while riding in front of me the other day. He had to slow down so
much it was ridiculous and he started to wobble in the midst of peak
hour traffic. It took him about half a k before he decided to pull off
the side of the road to the footpath.

--
deejbah