Racing and motorcycles

Old September 18th 09, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nobby Anderson

Default Racing and motorcycles

Watching a bit of the TofB this evening, I couldn't help wondering how
much effect on riders the motorbikes used by the camera operators have
on the cyclists. Particularly on the climbs, there was quite often a
motorbike directly in front of the riders, travelling at quite slow
speed, and it seems to me that they'd be getting a good gobfull of
exhaust fumes at a time when they surely need every ounce of oxygen
they can get. Not to mention that it looked pretty dodgy anyway
with motorbikes weaving around the riders much of the time.

Has anybody any experience with that? I mean we all cycle in traffic,
but generally it's not to the same level of effort to those guys (well,
certainly not in my case anyway!), and it must have some effect on their
performance, surely?

Nobby
Old September 19th 09, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keitht

Nobby Anderson wrote:
Watching a bit of the TofB this evening, I couldn't help wondering how
much effect on riders the motorbikes used by the camera operators have
on the cyclists. Particularly on the climbs, there was quite often a
motorbike directly in front of the riders, travelling at quite slow
speed, and it seems to me that they'd be getting a good gobfull of
exhaust fumes at a time when they surely need every ounce of oxygen
they can get. Not to mention that it looked pretty dodgy anyway
with motorbikes weaving around the riders much of the time.

Has anybody any experience with that? I mean we all cycle in traffic,
but generally it's not to the same level of effort to those guys (well,
certainly not in my case anyway!), and it must have some effect on their
performance, surely?

Nobby

There's nowt like a good lungfull of double-decker exhaust.
Though the blaaat from a pair of up-swept pipes on a motorbike is a
different experience.

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old September 19th 09, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ben C

On 2009-09-18, Nobby Anderson wrote:
Watching a bit of the TofB this evening, I couldn't help wondering how
much effect on riders the motorbikes used by the camera operators have
on the cyclists. Particularly on the climbs, there was quite often a
motorbike directly in front of the riders, travelling at quite slow
speed, and it seems to me that they'd be getting a good gobfull of
exhaust fumes at a time when they surely need every ounce of oxygen
they can get. Not to mention that it looked pretty dodgy anyway
with motorbikes weaving around the riders much of the time.

Has anybody any experience with that? I mean we all cycle in traffic,
but generally it's not to the same level of effort to those guys (well,
certainly not in my case anyway!), and it must have some effect on their
performance, surely?

Interesting question, I don't know the answer.

I would think that if you're close enough to inhale much exhaust you're
probably close enough to be getting a decent aerodynamic draft, which
would give you a bigger advantage than the fumes might take away.

They do sometimes get a draft off the camera bike. Apparently the rules
are they are allowed to if they can-- it's the camera bike's
responsibility to get out of the way.
Old September 19th 09, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke[_2_]

On 19 Sep, 11:08, Ben C wrote:
On 2009-09-18, Nobby Anderson wrote:

[...]

It's not just television bikes. Even on quite small races you'll have
a lot of motor marshals continually overtaking the peloton in order to
marshal the next junction ahead, plus judges' and comissaires' cars,
and sometimes neutral service. Team cars will normally follow the main
peloton so aren't a problem for the guys off the front - but it's the
guys off the back and struggling to get back on who are actually
working hardest of anyone, and they're having to fight their way up
through the rear caravan where there are a lot of vehicles and a lot
of fumes. Even in the small British races I help out on there are
often as many crew as riders, when you count in officials, marshals,
routing/derouting crew, neutral service, team managers, soigneurs,
medical and first aid, and police escort (if any).

As you say it must have some impact on performance. I suppose everyone
just treats it as part of the game.
Old September 19th 09, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sir Jeremy

On 19 Sep, 18:30, Simon Brooke wrote:

On 2009-09-18, Nobby Anderson wrote:

[...]

just treats it as part of the game.- Hide quoted text -

I watched the Tour come through my particular part of the Westcountry
yesterday. I would have said that there were as many accompanying cars
and motorbikes as competitors. There were 20 police motorcyclists
(numbered) in front of the motorbike marshals to carry out the rolling
roadblock, followed by judges, officials, publicity vehicles, then the
peloton , then service cars, ambulances, paramedics and finally two
police vehicles bringing up the rear. Far more than when we used to
chase the RAC Rally a few years ago.

My wifes friend teaches at the local primary school who turned all the
kids out to watch. She said the children were more impressed by the
police motorcycles and escorting vehicles than by the actual race. I
did enjoy the look of dismay on the local green activist who'd been
rattling on in the local newspaper about how green and environmental
the Tour was, when the motorcade swept past
Old September 20th 09, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

Nobby Anderson wrote:
Watching a bit of the TofB this evening, I couldn't help wondering how
much effect on riders the motorbikes used by the camera operators have
on the cyclists. Particularly on the climbs, there was quite often a
motorbike directly in front of the riders, travelling at quite slow
speed, and it seems to me that they'd be getting a good gobfull of
exhaust fumes at a time when they surely need every ounce of oxygen
they can get. Not to mention that it looked pretty dodgy anyway
with motorbikes weaving around the riders much of the time.

Has anybody any experience with that? I mean we all cycle in traffic,
but generally it's not to the same level of effort to those guys (well,
certainly not in my case anyway!), and it must have some effect on their
performance, surely?

Nobby

Not cycling, but the London Marathon, the vehicles at the front carrying
the elapsed time clock, used to be milk floats, but I seem to remember
that that has changed now.
I know milk floats would be no use for the TofB, they'd be overtaken
within 100 yds.

--

Tony Dragon
Old September 20th 09, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ben C

On 2009-09-20, Tony Dragon wrote:
Nobby Anderson wrote:
[...]

Maybe the police, doctors, teams, etc. could all just ride fully-faired
recumbents while the race takes place on the much slower but
bigger-engined UCI-legal machines.
Old September 20th 09, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Andy Leighton

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 09:15:22 +0100,
Tony Dragon wrote:
I know milk floats would be no use for the TofB, they'd be overtaken
within 100 yds.

What a load of rubbish. Some unladen milk-floats can be a bit nippy - I
know someone who was done for speeding in one (an electric one before
anyone chimes in). I think the world speed record for an electric milk
float is around 80mph (the vehicle had relatively few modifications).

--
Andy Leighton =
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_
Old September 20th 09, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keitht

Ben C wrote:
On 2009-09-20, Tony Dragon wrote:
Nobby Anderson wrote:
[...]

The leccy motorbikes are supposed to come in to productions soon - but
do they have the same capacity for mileage as the cyclists?

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old July 11th 17, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Saturday, 19 September 2009 11:43:50 UTC+2, Keitht wrote:
Nobby Anderson wrote:
[...]

Idiotic comment, I certainly am not inspired to come to D & B!

ctc and motorcycles raisethe UK 396 April 3rd 07 01:18 PM
Government Seized Motorcycles [email protected] General 0 December 4th 06 10:14 AM
hanging onto motorcycles Bucky Racing 4 July 20th 06 12:14 AM
Descending, Sherwin, Liggit, Motorcycles Michael Press Racing 25 July 15th 05 07:07 PM
Bike racks for motorcycles Carla A-G Mountain Biking 9 August 21st 03 06:11 PM