Will Campy hoods for Nuovo Record or Super Record fit on late80s/early 90s levers?

Old December 4th 09, 07:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
seattlerowe

Default Will Campy hoods for Nuovo Record or Super Record fit on late80s/early 90s levers?

Does anyone know if campy hoods designed for Nuevo and Super Record
will fit on my late80s/early90s levers? I'm really not certain of the
model. None of the group has a designation (ie record/chorus) so I'm
not sure what it is. All I know is it came on a Look Reynolds 753
frame that I bought used in 1990. Friction shifters.
Old December 4th 09, 07:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

On Dec 4, 11:17*am, seattlerowe wrote:
Does anyone know if campy hoods designed for Nuevo and Super Record
will fit on my late80s/early90s levers? *I'm really not certain of the
model. *None of the group has a designation (ie record/chorus) so I'm
not sure what it is. *All I know is it came on a Look Reynolds 753
frame that I bought used in 1990. *Friction shifters.

Based on your description, probably not. However, a few questions.
What color are the hoods on your late80s/early 90s lever. If white or
black, probably no. Also, do these newer levers allow you to run your
brake cable either out of the top or "aero" routing, i.e., the brake
cable exits out the back and can be tucked in under the handlebar
tape. If so, your NR/SR hoods won't fit. Finally, match up NR/SR
hoods, if it is significantly smaller than the new levers, it won't
work. Good Luck!
Old December 4th 09, 09:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
seattlerowe

On Dec 4, 11:37*am, bfd wrote:
[...]

Thanks. Save me ordering the wrong thing! They're black and do allow
for aero routing. So if not NR/SR, any idea on what model I should be
referencing when looking for hoods?
Old December 4th 09, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

On Dec 4, 1:27*pm, seattlerowe wrote:
On Dec 4, 11:37*am, bfd wrote:

[...]

The late 80s/early90s hoods are hard to find and can be very
expensive. I would check ALL of your LBSs to see what stock, if any,
they might have. If you find them at a decent price, BUY UP! For
comparison, do a search on ebay, I've seen "black" hoods for late 80s/
early 90s levers (also known as C Record levers) for as much as $120/
pair. Ouch!

If you find the hoods are too expensive, consider getting yourself a
pair of Dura Ace/Ultegra aero levers and be resigned to paying $12/
pair....Good Luck!
Old December 4th 09, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

On Dec 4, 11:37*am, bfd wrote:

[...]

Further, if none of your LBSs has the hoods, check with our rbt's
resident Campy Expert Peter Chisholm at
www.vecchios.com

Peter, also known here as Qui Si Parla Campagnolo, is a Campy expert
and either has the parts or can direct you to someone who might. Good
Luck!
Old December 4th 09, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

seattlerowe wrote:
On Dec 4, 11:37 am, bfd wrote:
[...]

Cobalto/ Delta most probably:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/cabrx.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old December 5th 09, 08:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

On Dec 4, 3:19*pm, AMuzi wrote:
seattlerowe wrote:
On Dec 4, 11:37 am, bfd wrote:
[...]

Whoa, I'm amazed at the *going price!!!* A couple of years ago, I
gave a buddy a brand new pair of white cobalto hoods for FREE! I need
to tell him to get them on ebay....
Old December 5th 09, 08:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

bfd wrote:
On Dec 4, 3:19 pm, AMuzi wrote:
seattlerowe wrote:
On Dec 4, 11:37 am, bfd wrote:
[...]

He should re think that. Black are much more available and
1/2 the price of White.

p.s. Modern aero levers are $29.95 with black covers included.
Old December 6th 09, 01:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Dec 4, 11:37*am, bfd wrote:

[...]

You need the aero type, now only black unless the zillion $ NOS
Colbato, that has the little scallops for the quickrelease buttons on
the side of the hood. We have them as does Andy Muzi-I think $39 per
pair(for black) but I'm at home(bike shop owners NEVER sleep!).
Old December 6th 09, 01:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Dec 4, 11:37*am, bfd wrote:

[...]

Molti ringraziamenti per le parole gentili.