New Chain Ring: Feels Livier... Possible?

Old April 12th 13, 09:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default New Chain Ring: Feels Livier... Possible?

Just replaced an alu ring that was slightly shark-toothy with a new SS
ring... not because of the wear, but because I wanted to try a ring that
was 1 tooth larger.

Funny thing... the bike feels *much* livelier.

Ordinarily, I'd write it off to the same phenom that makes my car seem
to run better after a wash and wax.

But this is so pronounced, I have to wonder.

Is it even remotely possible?
--
Pete Cresswell
Old April 13th 13, 04:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Apr 12, 1:17 pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Just replaced an alu ring that was slightly shark-toothy with a new SS
ring... not because of the wear, but because I wanted to try a ring that
was 1 tooth larger.

Funny thing... the bike feels *much* livelier.

Ordinarily, I'd write it off to the same phenom that makes my car seem
to run better after a wash and wax.

But this is so pronounced, I have to wonder.

Is it even remotely possible?

Certainly. (Then again, anything is possible.)

Coupling is a big deal.

Sometimes just disassembly/re-asssembly can make things much better
(or worse). Chainline?

Evenly tensioned chainring nuts might also add a solid feel to
coupling.

I could go on and on (an imaginative fellow; never discount
imagination ;-)

Trust your feelings.

Old April 14th 13, 05:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 12 Apr, 21:17, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Just replaced an alu ring that was slightly shark-toothy with a new SS
ring... not because of the wear, but because I wanted to try a ring that
was 1 tooth larger.

Funny thing... the bike feels *much* livelier.

Good, as long as you realise it will never really have life.

Ordinarily, I'd write it off to the same phenom that makes my car seem
to run better after a wash and wax.

as long as you are genuine in your prayers.

But this is so pronounced, I have to wonder.

Is it even remotely possible?

Was the sun shining brighter?