cleaning tools

Old July 1st 17, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default cleaning tools

On Friday, June 30, 2017 at 5:36:52 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 01 Jul 2017 01:49:40 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Doug Landau wrote:

It should be cleaned in the sense pleasant
to look at and hold, but also in the sense
no gravel in the machinery, and yes lubed
as well.

according to whom?

... what do you mean?

Today I did the Yes cure for a
4" adjustable wrench and a
Stanley/Utility knife. Actually it *is*
a Stanley, "Made in Englad". Looks similar to
this - perhaps because that's what it is

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ey_knife_1.jpg

This method has worked great! I guess I like it
fine - so far.

I'm a bit confused with all this frantic tool cleaning as most
mechanics I am acquainted with just wipe their tools off with a rag at
the end of a working and put them back in the tool box. I've been
doing this for many years now and so far my tools all appear to be
"clean" without any special cleaning activity.

I guess I was working on my lawn mower a couple of years ago when I was still concussed. While cleaning up the yard yesterday I discovered an 8" crescent wrench. It had been outside under an overhang probably for 6 or 7 years and worked like new. No rust because it hadn't been in direct rain. But it was Sear's brand. I think I'll have to clean it off a little but not a big deal.
Old July 2nd 17, 12:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

writes:

I guess I was working on my lawn mower a couple of
years ago when I was still concussed. While cleaning
up the yard yesterday I discovered an 8" crescent
wrench. It had been outside under an overhang
probably for 6 or 7 years and worked like new.
No rust because it hadn't been in direct rain.
But it was Sear's brand. I think I'll have to clean
it off a little but not a big deal.

Cool Another example where supposedly unrelated
activity lead to unexpected gains.

Another tool that benefits from cleaning is the
combination plier. Often it is rusted (?) shut but
flush it a couple of times with WD-40 and work the
handles back and forth and the pivot will just pour
a steady flow of dirt liquid until it is good as new.

I have a couple of Knipex such, none of which I bought
but just found or came across. People just leave them
behind thinking from their appearance and stuck state
they are just a crappy old tool. All the better for
me Here cleaning works magic and God willing those
tools will make me happy every time I use them for
years to come

Another combination plier I have had lost its grip
coatings. So I wrapped it with a blue tape. So now it
looks exactly like something out of the Park tool
range Here I put the utility knife to use by laying
it on a table next to the tape roll, then rotated the
roll pushing it onto the blade, to make for an even
cut along its length, to get a tape about half the
original width Then I wrapped it with the cut side
underneath - seamless, gorgeous!

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old July 2nd 17, 05:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sun, 02 Jul 2017 01:05:45 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

writes:

I guess I was working on my lawn mower a couple of
years ago when I was still concussed. While cleaning
up the yard yesterday I discovered an 8" crescent
wrench. It had been outside under an overhang
probably for 6 or 7 years and worked like new.
No rust because it hadn't been in direct rain.
But it was Sear's brand. I think I'll have to clean
it off a little but not a big deal.

Cool Another example where supposedly unrelated
activity lead to unexpected gains.

Another tool that benefits from cleaning is the
combination plier. Often it is rusted (?) shut but
flush it a couple of times with WD-40 and work the
handles back and forth and the pivot will just pour
a steady flow of dirt liquid until it is good as new.

If it is rusted closed then quite obviously you aren't using it enough
:-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old July 3rd 17, 04:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

John B. writes:

If it is rusted closed then quite obviously you
aren't using it enough :-)

OK, "rusted close" (not "shut") it is. Thank you.

Well, obviously that never happens to my tools, and
I only have to clean them once

That said, altho the combination plier is probably my
favorite tool, I seldom use it. To cut wires and
housings I have an array of different size cutters and
typically I use larger and enforced ones for that.

The curved and flat part of the plier don't have that
many applications on bikes in particular, at least few
that cannot be done better with other,
specific-purpose tools. But it is still good to have
a couple lying around. I love to have the right gear,
but I also love thinking of me as being ready
for anything

Compared to combination spanners which I use all the
time I think the appeal of the combination plier is
the range of applications, some of which you have no
idea of before the situation arises. It is one of the
things I'd always bring to the field, along with some
cord to make it "fixed"

Altho both tools have the word "combination" in their
names the combination spanner appears pretty much
locked in to rotating and holding nuts - a vital
function for sure, but perhaps nothing that triggers
the imagination of the mind.

Also the plier is more exciting because it has moving
parts

Old July 3rd 17, 06:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 03 Jul 2017 05:38:34 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. writes:

If it is rusted closed then quite obviously you
aren't using it enough :-)

OK, "rusted close" (not "shut") it is. Thank you.

Well, obviously that never happens to my tools, and
I only have to clean them once

That said, altho the combination plier is probably my
favorite tool, I seldom use it. To cut wires and
housings I have an array of different size cutters and
typically I use larger and enforced ones for that.

The problem with combination pliers is just that. They are a
combination and single use tools tend to be far more efficient.
Combinations pliers aren't very good for cutting wires, whether large
or small, they don't make a very effective wrench, whether for pipes
or nuts.

I had a similar discussion about those silly "Leatherman" tools. They
provide a mediocre tool for multiple purposes and a superior tool for
nothing.

Old July 3rd 17, 06:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

John B. writes:

I had a similar discussion about those silly
"Leatherman" tools. They provide a mediocre tool for
multiple purposes and a superior tool for nothing.

The appeal is not what they do but what they could do.
They are easy to bring and relaxing to fiddle with and
talk about. It is the inherent adventure, which
perhaps most often does not materialize. No one (I
hope) claims they are for everyday work!

Old July 3rd 17, 08:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 03 Jul 2017 07:48:51 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. writes:

I had a similar discussion about those silly
"Leatherman" tools. They provide a mediocre tool for
multiple purposes and a superior tool for nothing.

The appeal is not what they do but what they could do.
They are easy to bring and relaxing to fiddle with and
talk about. It is the inherent adventure, which
perhaps most often does not materialize. No one (I
hope) claims they are for everyday work!

I had a friend who was a yachtsman. He always carried a Leatherman in
a little belt holster. But when he had a problem on his boat he would
always get me to fix it :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old July 3rd 17, 08:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

John B. writes:

I had a friend who was a yachtsman. He always
carried a Leatherman in a little belt holster.
But when he had a problem on his boat he would
always get me to fix it :-)

Sure, that's pathetic.

I don't have a Leatherman myself but I have several
other such foldable knives and tools.

One is a SOG and in my youth when we smoked we used it
to place the ingredient on the blade and heat it up.
Every time we did it is was like a competition who
could come up with the stupidest joke on "SOG", which
is also a neo-Nazi slogan (zionist occupation
government, spelled with an "s" in Swedish).

So I know these tools can actually be quite funny

Old July 3rd 17, 12:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 03 Jul 2017 09:42:39 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. writes:

I had a friend who was a yachtsman. He always
carried a Leatherman in a little belt holster.
But when he had a problem on his boat he would
always get me to fix it :-)

Sure, that's pathetic.

I don't have a Leatherman myself but I have several
other such foldable knives and tools.

One is a SOG and in my youth when we smoked we used it
to place the ingredient on the blade and heat it up.
Every time we did it is was like a competition who
could come up with the stupidest joke on "SOG", which
is also a neo-Nazi slogan (zionist occupation
government, spelled with an "s" in Swedish).

So I know these tools can actually be quite funny

One can only speculate on what you were "smoking" that you heated on a
piece of metal and sniffed the fumes :-(

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old July 3rd 17, 01:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

John B. wrote:

One can only speculate on what you were
"smoking" that you heated on a piece of metal
and sniffed the fumes :-(

OK, maybe I shouldn't have mention it.
Are drugs taboo here? But it was completely
undramatic, let me tell you. The best ride
I ever had was in the middle of a nigh, a long
empty city ride under the Hofmann influence.
And the worst - must have been some time with
heavy/immature drinking.

More BB Tools! jbeattie Techniques 7 April 9th 16 12:35 PM
What tools do I need? elyob UK 9 July 28th 06 01:24 PM
Tools Javier Techniques 22 December 17th 05 05:27 PM
Tools Donald Gillies Techniques 0 December 17th 05 08:53 AM
FS: Tools Dawgwalker Marketplace 0 September 5th 05 01:22 PM