A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Curious what brands of bicycles the Olmo factory is making these days

Old May 9th 17, 05:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Curious what brands of bicycles the Olmo factory is making these days

When I visited the Olmo factory in Celle Ligure, Italy in 1978, they were making various brands of bikes besides Olmo. Here are a couple of pictures of the large facility:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ek0uuvy5jb...olmo1.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0hbg81pe1v...olmo2.jpg?dl=0

Anybody know what other brands of bikes they make at Olmo these days?
Ads
Old May 9th 17, 02:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 9:26:48 PM UTC-7, wrote:
When I visited the Olmo factory in Celle Ligure, Italy in 1978, they were making various brands of bikes besides Olmo. Here are a couple of pictures of the large facility:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ek0uuvy5jb...olmo1.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0hbg81pe1v...olmo2.jpg?dl=0

Anybody know what other brands of bikes they make at Olmo these days?

Several of the big companies that were getting very popular would contract out frames at that time - Pinarello and Colnago were two.

But today everything is carbon fiber and those frames are all made in China.
Old May 9th 17, 06:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Gene, the family with whom I was staying in Celle told me that it had something to do with the Italian bicycle manufacturing industry being nationalized, so the federal government told the factories what brands to make. However, I am not sure if this is correct.

In addition to Pinarello and Colnago, if I recall correctly the Olmo factory in Celle was also making Masi bikes at the time.
Old May 9th 17, 08:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 10:39:32 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Gene, the family with whom I was staying in Celle told me that it had something to do with the Italian bicycle manufacturing industry being nationalized, so the federal government told the factories what brands to make. However, I am not sure if this is correct.

In addition to Pinarello and Colnago, if I recall correctly the Olmo factory in Celle was also making Masi bikes at the time.

Masi was an American manufactured bike for a very long time. I don't know if it was in that time period or not.

Certainly companies like Olmo made MANY custom racing bikes for teams. They had all sorts of name decals on them. The one bike that always seemed unique to me was the Basso. You could tell they were all made in the Basso plant because they had a bottom bracket two cm lower than other bikes. You had to be careful cornering to have the inside crank arm on the top side or you could drag it and go down. But MAN could you go around corners fast.

I have a Basso Loto now and it is the light of my life. Well, aside from what I tell my wife. The Eddy Merckx has the normal height BB and while I can corner hard I can tell the difference in the center of gravity.