Obstructions

Old June 4th 07, 05:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
R Brickston

Default Obstructions

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 16:39:18 -0700, Bill wrote:

wrote:
On Jun 3, 2:13 am, wrote:
This nitwit was playing why-did-the-chicken-cross-the-road, as they
often do, and finally ran over my shoe. They have a disconcerting
habit of near-sightedly charging at you instead of fleeing:http://i16.tinypic.com/5z6l5y8.jpg

This one reminds me of a nature break I took for about an hour while
driving between L.A. and S.F. by a man made reservoir. I was just laying
back and watching the clouds when I felt more than one something on my
legs. Looking down at my legs I saw about 15 adult Tarantulas marching
over my legs just like any other obstruction heading for where ever it
was they were going. I got up and put my hand in front of one and he
just walked over it like any other object.
Migrating?
All in all, an interesting but odd experience.
Bill Baka

The species in this country live in solitude. Another tall tale from
Planet Baka. If you're going to bull****, Billy, at least try and make
it entertaining. Like going down the highway at 120 doing one of your
world famous wheelies and seeing a tarantula... no wait... make that a
swarm of tarantulas, coming down both arms.
Old June 4th 07, 05:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
R Brickston

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 16:42:52 -0700, Bill wrote:

* * Chas wrote:
Carl, I thought you lived in Pueblo not Appalachia or the Ozarks.

Put yer hand on the radio - now shake that snake...

That looked like a prairie rattler, the kind that I accidentally ran over
on my bike.

I was surprised the first time I saw a tarantula run across the road in
front of me. I had never known that they were native to the SW.

Chas.

They are in California and Arkansas that I know of. The California ones
will let you pick them up and the ones in Arkansas will rear up for a
fight. Completely different temperaments.
Bill Baka

Billy Baka, the Spider Whisperer

Old June 4th 07, 06:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

wrote in message
news
On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 19:45:50 -0400, Luke
wrote:

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 01:13:09 -0600, wrote:

Some recent obstructions ...

snip

Great pics Carl. Were you riding through a preserve? Or does a casual
ride through your neighbourhood involve such encounters with (to me
anyway) exotic wildlife?

Dear Luke,

I just ride up the bike path along the Arkansas River to the dam at
the Pueblo Reservoir, then up to the top of the ridge west of town on
the highway:

http://i19.tinypic.com/4kynamo.jpg

I start and end at the tiny red tail on the far right. All the housing
on the south side of the river is up on the bluffs.

The houses on my side of town line the bluffs above the river, but
there's practically nothing on the river bottom, so thirty seconds
from my unremarkable suburban driveway I turn down a gully and am in
the countryside, but still about four miles from the city limits.

Technically, parts of the path are a riparian area, but the wildlife
isn't too sure about the distinctions and happily wanders into
traffic. Deer, foxes, and the occasional black bear or elk wander into
the city, following the river. (No antelope--they prefer the open
plains on top of the bluffs.) Beavers, muskrats, raccoons, badgers,
rabbits, skunks, and prairie dogs are common.

Oddly, I've never seen coyotes in my neighborhood, though I heard them
singing this evening out by the reservoir. The only creatures that I
noticed today were a crow, a hawk, and a great blue heron, none close
enough to justify hauling out a camera.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

I've never seen pronghorns up that close except dropping down into
Cheyenne
on I80. They used to hang out along the freeway.

Chas.

Old June 4th 07, 06:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill

wrote:
On Jun 3, 2:13 am, wrote:
[...]

None of these groups needs you, moron.
I wasn't bragging about the big bad spiders, just a comment on something
that happened while I was taking a 'car' break.
At any rate I would rather a swarm of Tarantulas migrate over me than a
herd of cattle.
Go home to your mommy.
Bill Baka
Old June 4th 07, 06:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill

* * Chas wrote:
Carl, I thought you lived in Pueblo not Appalachia or the Ozarks.

Put yer hand on the radio - now shake that snake...

That looked like a prairie rattler, the kind that I accidentally ran over
on my bike.

I was surprised the first time I saw a tarantula run across the road in
front of me. I had never known that they were native to the SW.

Chas.

They are in California and Arkansas that I know of. The California ones
will let you pick them up and the ones in Arkansas will rear up for a
fight. Completely different temperaments.
Bill Baka

Billy Baka, the Spider Whisperer

Just for you, Bricky boy, just try to pick one up in Arkansas.
Have a nice trip to the hospital.
I'll be cheering for the spider.
Bill Baka
Old June 4th 07, 06:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill

* * Chas wrote:
Carl, I thought you lived in Pueblo not Appalachia or the Ozarks.

Put yer hand on the radio - now shake that snake...

That looked like a prairie rattler, the kind that I accidentally
ran over on my bike.

I was surprised the first time I saw a tarantula run across the
road in front of me. I had never known that they were native to the
SW.

Chas.
They are in California and Arkansas that I know of. The California
ones will let you pick them up and the ones in Arkansas will rear up
for a fight. Completely different temperaments.
Bill Baka

Billy Baka, the Spider Whisperer

ROTFL

You guys should get married.
Old June 4th 07, 08:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
On Jun 3, 2:13 am, wrote:
[...]

Dear RB,

I've never seen such a thing, but I'll keep an open mind about lines
or groups of tarantulas.

"Groups of tarantulas are often seen in the evenings at Desert View,
scuttling back into the warmth of the [Grand] canyon for the night."

http://www.travelotica.com/travelgui...-rim-47220.htm

"I live in the country and during certain times of the year you'll see
a line of tarantulas crossing the highway."

http://community.cookinglight.com/ar...p?t-27548.html

The mass migrations in search of mates are well-known in Texas:

"Exactly when male brown tarantulas go a-roaming seems determined by
the weather. Their movements tend to occur after a rain in early
morning or late afternoon. Mass sightings are rare but memorable.
Arachnologist David Sissom of West Texas A&M University in Canyon
recalls braking to a stop on Highway 385 just south of Odessa early
one summer morning in 1986. 'There were hundreds of tarantulas
crossing the road, all moving in the same direction,' he says. 'For
100 yards or so, there was easily a tarantula every meter or two. It
was pretty incredible.'"

http://www.nwf.org/nationalwildlife/...988&issueId=70

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old June 4th 07, 09:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
R Brickston

wrote:
On Jun 3, 2:13 am, wrote:
[...]

Tarantulas migrate? What were these Army Tarantulas? Or perhaps a new
sub-species of traveling Tarantula somehow related to the Monarch
butterfly.
Old June 4th 07, 09:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
R Brickston

* * Chas wrote:
Carl, I thought you lived in Pueblo not Appalachia or the Ozarks.

Put yer hand on the radio - now shake that snake...

That looked like a prairie rattler, the kind that I accidentally ran over
on my bike.

I was surprised the first time I saw a tarantula run across the road in
front of me. I had never known that they were native to the SW.

Chas.
They are in California and Arkansas that I know of. The California ones
will let you pick them up and the ones in Arkansas will rear up for a
fight. Completely different temperaments.
Bill Baka

Billy Baka, the Spider Whisperer

Just for you, Bricky boy, just try to pick one up in Arkansas.
Have a nice trip to the hospital.
I'll be cheering for the spider.
Bill Baka

Billy, just stick to your Spiderman comic books.