hydraulic oil

Old June 2nd 17, 02:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default hydraulic oil

The other day I went to the gross shop to get
a plastic 1L can of oil to use on bikes.
The oil I've been using so far has been
brown-goldish but that's all I know of it.
The consistency seems comparable to what I got,
hydraulic oil, which was what the clerk
recommended, but he didn't sound 100% and
didn't know the color of it, and it is actually
transparent or white-silverish. I don't know
what to make of it but I guess I like it fine,
so far.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old June 2nd 17, 02:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/1/2017 8:34 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
The other day I went to the gross shop to get
a plastic 1L can of oil to use on bikes.
The oil I've been using so far has been
brown-goldish but that's all I know of it.
The consistency seems comparable to what I got,
hydraulic oil, which was what the clerk
recommended, but he didn't sound 100% and
didn't know the color of it, and it is actually
transparent or white-silverish. I don't know
what to make of it but I guess I like it fine,
so far.

Various brands and weights of oil and grease are tinted in
various hues to enhance whatever the marketing department
thinks is associated with value. It's just a dye, meaningless.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 2nd 17, 02:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

AMuzi wrote:

Various brands and weights of oil and grease
are tinted in various hues to enhance
whatever the marketing department thinks is
associated with value. It's just
a dye, meaningless.

Ha, really? So hydraulic oil is fine?

Old June 2nd 17, 01:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/1/2017 8:59 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

Various brands and weights of oil and grease
are tinted in various hues to enhance
whatever the marketing department thinks is
associated with value. It's just
a dye, meaningless.

Ha, really? So hydraulic oil is fine?

No, I didn't say that.

If you're using an excellent product such as SAE90 hypoid
gear lube and the brand you use is red tinted, it does not
follow that any oily product with red color is appropriate.

There's an entire broad body of knowledge on lubrication
chemistry with a gazillion products designed for specific
applications. The color is meaningless.

Old June 2nd 17, 05:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, June 1, 2017 at 6:34:09 PM UTC-7, Emanuel Berg wrote:
The other day I went to the gross shop to get
a plastic 1L can of oil to use on bikes.
The oil I've been using so far has been
brown-goldish but that's all I know of it.
The consistency seems comparable to what I got,
hydraulic oil, which was what the clerk
recommended, but he didn't sound 100% and
didn't know the color of it, and it is actually
transparent or white-silverish. I don't know
what to make of it but I guess I like it fine,
so far.

What are you using this oil for? Usually hydraulic oil is too thin for any real purposes outside of an enclosed gear train such as in hydraulic transmissions. Bicycles usually call for heavy grease though no one uses it.
Old June 2nd 17, 08:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, June 2, 2017 at 9:28:13 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, June 1, 2017 at 6:34:09 PM UTC-7, Emanuel Berg wrote:
The other day I went to the gross shop to get
a plastic 1L can of oil to use on bikes.
The oil I've been using so far has been
brown-goldish but that's all I know of it.
The consistency seems comparable to what I got,
hydraulic oil, which was what the clerk
recommended, but he didn't sound 100% and
didn't know the color of it, and it is actually
transparent or white-silverish. I don't know
what to make of it but I guess I like it fine,
so far.

What are you using this oil for? Usually hydraulic oil is too thin for any real purposes outside of an enclosed gear train such as in hydraulic transmissions. Bicycles usually call for heavy grease though no one uses it.

True. I use grease on bolts, bearings, etc. No oil on modern cables with liners -- and if I felt the urge to lube a lined cable, I would use TriFlow or some other light, PTFE lubricant. If I had a gnarly old cable in an un-lined housing, I'd use light grease. I used to use Phil Wood grease for my brake cables.

I usually flush brifters with WD40 and then use some light spray silicon or PTFE lubricant -- same with derailleur pivots. The only time I use bulk oil is on chains, and next time I'm using artisanal bees wax lubricant with organic hydrocarbons and a hint of essential fluorocarbons. It's called Eau de Krygowski. But first I have to use up my little bottle of magical red oil made by Bohemians in Mesa, Arizona. http://www.bikegallery.com/product/a...cant-10322.htm

Chain lubes are such a racket.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old June 2nd 17, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, June 2, 2017 at 12:33:19 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

You should make it clear that the spray stuff is mostly for flushing out dirt. Triflow doesn't leave any lubricant after it dries up. (It is almost all washed away by the solvent.) That's why it has become far less popular. The amount of plastic lubricants in those sprays have virtually no effect but the solvent in which they're carried does a good job of washing out the dirt.

Actual tests of chains ALWAYS wash out the original heavy grease lubricants.. While they can reduce short term resistance in the chain they do not have anything like the lifetime of the original heavy grease. By using these chain lubricants you are trading a questionably lower resistance (only two of a dozen lubricants tested had lower chain resistance than a clean chain with NO lubricant and these were over 50% teflon) for chain life.
Old June 2nd 17, 09:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

What are you using this oil for?
Usually hydraulic oil is too thin for any
real purposes outside of an enclosed gear
train such as in hydraulic transmissions.
Bicycles usually call for heavy grease though
no one uses it.

For ball bearing areas when then bike is inact
and grease cannot be applied.

Old June 3rd 17, 03:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

AMuzi wrote:

Various brands and weights of oil and grease
are tinted in various hues to enhance
whatever the marketing department thinks is
associated with value. It's just
a dye, meaningless.

Ha, really? So hydraulic oil is fine?

No, I didn't say that.

If you're using an excellent product such as SAE90 hypoid
gear lube and the brand you use is red tinted, it does not
follow that any oily product with red color is appropriate.

There's an entire broad body of knowledge on lubrication
chemistry with a gazillion products designed for specific
applications. The color is meaningless.

You've ruined my day! I always thought that the "red oil" was faster
:-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 3rd 17, 11:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ned Mantei[_2_]

On 02-06-17 21:33, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Last year I had to buy another liter of cheap motor oil for use as a
chain lubricant (and occasionally for the freewheel in the course of
back hub service). The previous liter, which I bought in ca. 1995, was
finally used up. Works out to about 1 Swiss Franc or $1 per year.

Ned

Hydraulic rim brakes? Membrane UK 42 November 20th 07 08:42 AM
Hydraulic Disk Henrik Palshøj Mountain Biking 2 October 3rd 05 08:45 AM
What did I do to my hydraulic brakes?! [email protected] Off Road 2 May 31st 05 03:54 AM
What did I do to my hydraulic brakes?! Shane Perkins Mountain Biking 5 May 29th 05 10:11 AM
Hydraulic unicyclepa Unicycling 6 April 5th 05 09:11 PM