A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Floor Pumps

Old June 14th 17, 11:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Floor Pumps

On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 6:22:08 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/14/2017 3:54 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 11:16:10 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/14/2017 12:23 PM,
wrote:
I have been looking for a good floor pump. I have a Husky that works well but I wouldn't call it shop quality.

The hose and connector failed after many years and I got a replacement hose and end. Two years into use the valve that fits onto the tire is beginning to fail.

I recall the old shop pumps had a straight bronze fitting and you would pull the exterior part of the fitting back and shove it over the tube valve and release it which would lock it. Then you would just do the reverse to release it.

When looking at "The Hell of the North" I saw one of these.

Looking at Amazon and Ebay I don't see any pumps that look like they might last a long time and many of them don't actually work for Presta Valves. And it doesn't mention that. They will provide you with one of those devices that screws onto the Presta and make a connection large enough for a Shrader Valve. This makes filling a tire a long drawn out process.

Others have end valves that appear to be a cheaply made as the one I have. I have glued my new connector together so many times that it can't be repaired anymore and a new hose now cost as much as a medium grade pump.

Looking at pump reviews on-line the only one given a thumbs up cost $90 and then looking at the personal reviews I discover that the gage was 20 lb/sq inch off.

Can anyone offer good advice on this?

Silca Super Pista $99.
(new vintage Italian not the new USA model)

email me

Another guy emailed me from another group about a BIRZMAN MAHA APOGEE V 5 which looks pretty much the same though the chuck isn't quite as good as the Silca. And it cost me $50 delivered from GB.

If I had come back here and seen your posting I would have emailed you because all the information I had on that Silca pump showed $450 plus tax and shipping.

Uh, nope.
I was clear that these are the last available Italian Super
Pista, wooden handle, steel and brass. The American one is
very different.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

uhauhauha....American Model ? made in China ?

another light grey Topo pulled in today.....
Ads
Old June 15th 17, 02:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

Default Floor Pumps

On 6/14/2017 5:49 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 6:22:08 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/14/2017 3:54 PM,
wrote:
On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 11:16:10 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/14/2017 12:23 PM,
wrote:
I have been looking for a good floor pump. I have a Husky that works well but I wouldn't call it shop quality.

The hose and connector failed after many years and I got a replacement hose and end. Two years into use the valve that fits onto the tire is beginning to fail.

I recall the old shop pumps had a straight bronze fitting and you would pull the exterior part of the fitting back and shove it over the tube valve and release it which would lock it. Then you would just do the reverse to release it.

Looking at Amazon and Ebay I don't see any pumps that look like they might last a long time and many of them don't actually work for Presta Valves. And it doesn't mention that. They will provide you with one of those devices that screws onto the Presta and make a connection large enough for a Shrader Valve. This makes filling a tire a long drawn out process.

Others have end valves that appear to be a cheaply made as the one I have. I have glued my new connector together so many times that it can't be repaired anymore and a new hose now cost as much as a medium grade pump.

Looking at pump reviews on-line the only one given a thumbs up cost $90 and then looking at the personal reviews I discover that the gage was 20 lb/sq inch off.

Silca Super Pista $99.
(new vintage Italian not the new USA model)

email me

Another guy emailed me from another group about a BIRZMAN MAHA APOGEE V 5 which looks pretty much the same though the chuck isn't quite as good as the Silca. And it cost me $50 delivered from GB.

If I had come back here and seen your posting I would have emailed you because all the information I had on that Silca pump showed $450 plus tax and shipping.

Uh, nope.
I was clear that these are the last available Italian Super
Pista, wooden handle, steel and brass. The American one is
very different.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

uhauhauha....American Model ? made in China ?

another light grey Topo pulled in today.....

It really is Made in Indiana USA AFAIK

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 15th 17, 05:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Floor Pumps

Only turns right ?
Old June 15th 17, 03:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Floor Pumps

On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 9:15:22 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Only turns right ?

The advantage of the pump I chose is that if the chuck doesn't work properly the hose has a real fitting on the end that can take an adapter for the Silca chuck.
Old June 16th 17, 07:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Floor Pumps

On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 11:21:16 PM UTC+2, Andre Jute wrote:
On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 6:23:28 PM UTC+1, wrote:
I have been looking for a good floor pump.

This SKS Rennkompressor is the pump you can see the mechanics use on the Tour de France and other races. Professionals consider it the best you can buy.
http://www.sks-germany.com/en/rennkompressor/
I have one (two, in fact, kept in different locations; not the 50th anniversary model in the URL above; mine are ten years old), and so do several people I have recommended it to; no one has any complaints except the size and of the gauge and the distance it is from your eyes.

About sixty to eighty bucks landed if you shop right, definitely a bargain, especially when you consider that you point be replacing it every year, like overpriced boutique crap from Lezyne and suchlike.
https://www.bike-components.de/de/s/...rennkompressor
Note the various heads and that there are a variety of small spares: it is an infinitely rebuildable pump, though I haven't any experience as neither of mine has yet required any of the replacement parts I have in store. Note also the various heads among which you can choose; I find the plastic and metal head with the Presta and Schrader combo on it perfectly good, but there is also among the other heads an old-fashioned screw-on brass head for those who demand nostalgic authenticity.

It is a good pump, but the gauge is at ground level, a long way down, and pretty small at that distance, though also accurate if you can read it. The gauge goes up a long way, because it is a racing pump, meant to inflate very narrow tyres to 16 bar very quickly, so the range of what I require for my Big Apple balloons, 1.5-3 bar gets only a short stretch. I use a digital manometer as well, simply to reduce eyestrain.

Very highly recommended.

Andre Jute
Pressure, what pressure? Give me another whiff of that bracing Mace.

I have a rennkompressor for more than 30 years now. It is a simple device and well made. What is important is that spare parts for the rennkompressor are readily available and cheap because the rubber grommets will wear by use.

Lou
Old June 16th 17, 08:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dennis Davis[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Floor Pumps

In article ,
wrote:

I have a rennkompressor for more than 30 years now. It is a simple
device and well made. What is important is that spare parts for the
rennkompressor are readily available and cheap because the rubber
grommets will wear by use.

I've also had my rennkompressor for a similar amount of time.
Other, more complicated, pumps have failed in the meantime. The
rennkompressor just works, and works well.

Mine has a push-on brass head for presta valves. So the rubber
grommets do wear with use. I have a stock of spares. And spares
seem readily available:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pumps/sk...mpressor-pp23/

The rubber grommets seem to have increased in price since I last
bought some. Although this was probable a decade or so ago...
--
Dennis Davis
Old June 16th 17, 11:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Floor Pumps

My wife bought one similar to this about a ten years ago and it is standing up fine: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/c...prd%7C136040CA.
--
Andrew Chaplin
Old June 16th 17, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS
external usenet poster

Default Floor Pumps

One issue with floor pumps is that they fill the tire with ordinary air.
No one uses ordinary air for bicycle tires anymore.

Racers now fill their tires with nitrogen, as do many bike sharing
systems. You can use the hose at Costco tire centers to fill your tires
with nitrogen for free, or you can buy a tank and get it filled at a
welding supply place, and buy a Presta valve hose and coupler and this:
https://www.shopnitrogen.com/.

On 6/14/2017 10:23 AM, wrote:

Old June 16th 17, 05:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS
external usenet poster

Default Floor Pumps

On 6/16/2017 9:17 AM, sms wrote:

http://www.gonitrotire.com/nitrogen-tire-inflation-blog/putting-nitrogen-in-your-bike-tires/
Old June 16th 17, 07:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Floor Pumps

On Friday, June 16, 2017 at 5:21:04 PM UTC+1, sms wrote:

Rolling on the floor laughing out loud.

And the gold coachlines make my bike faster...

Andre Jute
Oh, to have Sheldon and Jobst back with us.