Anyone tried the Death Ride?

Old February 27th 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Keldridge

Default Anyone tried the Death Ride?

We have a bike race here called the death ride:
http://www.deathride.com

I was wondering if anyone is crazy enough to do this on a Unicycle...
(Not even sure they would let you...)

Keldridge

--
Keldridge
Keldridge's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14019

Old February 27th 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

Keldridge wrote:
We have a bike race here called the death ride:
http://www.deathride.com

I was wondering if anyone is crazy enough to do this on a Unicycle...
(Not even sure they would let you...)

Keldridge

They sure got the name right. If you weren't already you'd definitely
feel like dieing after 129 miles and 15,000+ of virtical

--
skilewis74

Old February 27th 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

The Death Ride is an overhyped event designed for people who don't
really like bike riding, so they can get tshirts with skeletons on them
to show how studly they are.

It's also really expensive. $90 entry for a one-day ride? Tahoe is
$50 and a better ride anyway.

The entire 129 miles, I think is completely infeasible for current
unicycle technology within the time constraints.

--
tholub

Old February 27th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steveyo

tholub wrote:
The Death Ride is ...also really expensive. $90 entry for a one-day
ride?

$90 doesn't seem too bad for a well supported 129 mile race.

thier website wrote:
With your entry fee...more than 700 volunteers...7 full rest stops, all
supplied with a great selection of food and drink, plus 4 additional
water stops at key locations on the course...huge lunch during the
ride, Saturday night dinner, massages...

The Mt. Washington uphill in NH is $300, and this year it sold out all
600 spots in 2 hrs. I'd love to take a shot at that one, but 3 bills
seems kinda steeper than the mountain itself.

tholub wrote:
The entire 129 miles, I think is completely infeasible for current
unicycle technology within the time constraints.

It does seem unlikely that anyone could manage it on a uni. Even if you
started at 5AM and went until 8PM, you'd have to maintain over 8mph and
with that much climbing it would kill even Gizmoduck or AspenMike.

--
steveyo

steveyo

...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

Check out my 'uni race write-ups'
(http://home.nycap.rr.com/rduhan/uni_race_writeups/)

Old February 27th 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

steveyo wrote:

It does seem unlikely that anyone could manage it on a uni. Even if
you started at 5AM and went until 8PM, you'd have to maintain over 8mph
and with that much climbing it would kill even Gizmoduck or AspenMike.

Is that a challenge?

If it's a road ride I don't see why you couldn't do it do it on a
unicycle in 15hrs. Given that it's a very hilly ride, unicycles should
actually do quite well.

--
GizmoDuck

'The SINZ Unitour 2007' (http://www.sinzuni.org)...No Salvation
Required
'The Laos Unicycle Tour 2006' (http://www.laosunitour.org)....An
Adventure of Epic Proportions
The Monguni Tour 2008....catchy slogan pending
The Unifice 2009....Fire & Ice, One-Wheel Sacrifice
The SISININZ Unitour 2010....How to get a sore butt

Old February 27th 07, 04:49 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

GizmoDuck wrote:
Is that a challenge?

If it's a road ride I don't see why you couldn't do it do it on a
unicycle in 15hrs. Given that it's a very hilly ride, unicycles should
actually do quite well.

But what about the downhills? I'd think that would kill your advantage
over the out of shape cyclists. Or are the steep assents enough?

--
skilewis74