Learning to pirouette

Old February 27th 07, 12:12 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
surfer1024

Default Learning to pirouette

I've been learning how to pirouette this weekend on my new 07 Nimbus x
that I got on friday from UDC.
Heres a Vid
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7tFEXxC8iRI

Any general tips on how to do them faster and with better balance and
would be appreciated

Thanks

--
surfer1024

My movie
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vho0bELAjEE
surfer1024's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13733

Old February 27th 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
surfer1024

Thanks I'll Try It

Old February 27th 07, 12:41 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

johnfoss wrote:
Move the couch.

So far what you're doing is spinning. You haven't really hit the center
yet. To improve spinning it helps to try to hold a certain size of
circle and continue pedaling. This will teach you how to even things
out while maintaining the spin.

For the pirouette, you have to ride into the center of your spin and
stop pedaling, without falling down or having to ride out backwards.
That's why polishing the spin is helpful. Try to pedal into the center
and stop with your feet at or near horizontal. At the same time, when
you hit the center pull your arms in to help you spin faster. Keep your
arms out when working on a spin of constant speed, as it'll keep you
from going too fast.

Thanks for the video! Having something to look at can help us provide
you with specific information based on what we saw. Don't make the next
video until you've spent at least a few hours on the above, and
probably other advice below this.

Looks like he actually got to the pirouette in his last attempt, for a
couple of half revolutions, and then road forwards for a couple of
crank revs out of the last one.

--
skilewis74

Old February 27th 07, 01:15 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

skilewis74 wrote:
Looks like he actually got to the pirouette in his last attempt, for a
couple of half revolutions, and then road forwards for a couple of
crank revs out of the last one.

Yes, he's pretty close. But to not go at least once around hardly
counts as a pirouette. For the official IUF/Skill level version, you
have to make 3 revolutions at the center, without pedaling.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"pretty much every trail that we've done on the California or Moab Muni
weekends is an XC trail." -- Kris Holm, on XC from a North Shore point
of view

Old February 27th 07, 02:24 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

johnfoss wrote:
For the official IUF/Skill level version, you have to make 3 revolutions
at the center, without pedaling.

Oh. Is that the same for spins?

--
skilewis74

Old February 27th 07, 04:00 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
surfer1024

johnfoss wrote:
Yes, he's pretty close. But to not go at least once around hardly counts
as a pirouette. For the official IUF/Skill level version, you have to
make 3 revolutions at the center, without pedaling.

Heres a New one a made tonight. This one isn't edited at all. I got
three times around at 37 seconds on the vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOvJcdxjoRk

Old February 27th 07, 04:55 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

surfer1024 wrote:
Heres a New one a made tonight. This one isn't edited at all. I got
three times around at 37 seconds on the vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOvJcdxjoRk

Comes up as a reapeat post.

--
skilewis74

Old February 27th 07, 05:56 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

How well can you do a proper spin? And can you hold that spin for 5 or
more revolutions? A proper spin would be tight and your body at the
center point of the spin. A proper spin is also centered over the same
point for every revolution (the spin should not wander).

From the videos it looks like you are doing tight circles rather than
actual spins before entering the pirouette. There is a difference
between tight circles and a proper spin.

If you can't do proper polished spins you should work on the spins
before working on pirouettes. Here's some info on 'spins'
(http://www.unicycling.org/unicycling/skills/spin.html).

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Never Wash Your Muni
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

Old February 27th 07, 06:18 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Spencer Hochberg

surfer1024 wrote:
I got three times around at 37 seconds on the vid

Looks like 2 revolutions to me...

--
Spencer Hochberg

'BC wheel movie.'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56195) Watch
it.
'Bedford Unicycles' (http://BedfordUnicycles.ca)
AIM: SpencerHochberg
Email: Litldude2 (at) aol (dot) com

Im messing with it again!!!
Spencer Hochberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12659

Old February 27th 07, 06:40 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

skilewis74 wrote:
Oh. Is that the same for spins?

Yes. The rulebook is online. Standard Skills List starts on page 42.

surfer1024 wrote:
I got three times around at 37 seconds on the vid

After watching it over and over, I counted about one and a quarter
revolutions. The pirouette doesn't start until the wheel is rotating on
one spot, and ends when you start pedaling again. Based on those
requirements, three revolutions is a lot! But you're doing great. As JC
said, being able to lock in that spin and hold it without hitting the
center will help you control where you're going.

Learning to... Zee Unicycling 5 November 20th 06 08:21 PM
Still learning Iwantaunicycle Unicycling 3 August 25th 05 11:53 PM
Pirouette caw89 Unicycling 16 November 13th 04 10:50 PM
learning again? UniBrier Unicycling 5 August 31st 03 11:24 AM