Silent hubs

Old March 27th 18, 02:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Silent hubs

I have a shimano wheelset 16 20 that really ok ride fine after 4500 miles. Well the best thing about them is the freehub is dead silent. I have decided I really like that in wheels so want to build myself a set. Stealth riding is cool like being in a Stealth jet fighter under the radar

Seems Shimano Ultegra 6800 best option I believe freehub is very quiet. They only come in 32 or 36 drilling and I would prefer 24 28. Anyone know of a very quiet freehub compared to Shimano.

Deacon Mark.
Old March 28th 18, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 13:47:58 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

Many folks with other freehubs don't need to holler "on your left"
when rolling downhill because you can hear the GRRRR.

It's amazing how loud some freehubs are. It's like rattling a playing
card against the spokes, like we did as kids to pretend we were on
motorcycles. A card and a clothespin, vroom!
Old March 28th 18, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

Many folks with other freehubs don't need to holler "on your left"
when rolling downhill because you can hear the GRRRR.

It's amazing how loud some freehubs are. It's like rattling a playing
card against the spokes, like we did as kids to pretend we were on
motorcycles. A card and a clothespin, vroom!

Dude, having a freehub that sounds like a swarm of angry bees is a status symbol. You pair that with deep dish aero wheels that give off a low rumble, and you're set. Totally dope.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old March 28th 18, 07:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

Many folks with other freehubs don't need to holler "on your left"
when rolling downhill because you can hear the GRRRR.

It's amazing how loud some freehubs are. It's like rattling a playing
card against the spokes, like we did as kids to pretend we were on
motorcycles. A card and a clothespin, vroom!

Dude, having a freehub that sounds like a swarm of angry bees is a status symbol. You pair that with deep dish aero wheels that give off a low rumble, and you're set. Totally dope.

-- Jay Beattie.

Maybe, but I'm looking forward to it:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ny15RngXVBp1Vei33

I'll promise I will not use this bike for group rides ;-)

Lou
Old March 28th 18, 07:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

Many folks with other freehubs don't need to holler "on your left"
when rolling downhill because you can hear the GRRRR.

It's amazing how loud some freehubs are. It's like rattling a playing
card against the spokes, like we did as kids to pretend we were on
motorcycles. A card and a clothespin, vroom!

Dude, having a freehub that sounds like a swarm of angry bees is a status symbol. You pair that with deep dish aero wheels that give off a low rumble, and you're set. Totally dope.

-- Jay Beattie.

Maybe, but I'm looking forward to it:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ny15RngXVBp1Vei33

I'll promise I will not use this bike for group rides ;-)

Did you get your Movistar contract?

Although you went for premium, Canyon is still an incredible deal. It's like getting pro deal on a Madone or S-Works Venge. You look at the frames, components and price and wonder how the big-boys can compete. I still think, though, that they need to put fender mounts on their Endurance line. I know the Europeans don't go for fenders, but I do -- particularly riding in groups.

I'd get an aero bike, but I have to lose 30 years. My next big move is to an eBike -- or an electric scooter at the retirement home.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old March 28th 18, 02:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

Many folks with other freehubs don't need to holler "on your left"
when rolling downhill because you can hear the GRRRR.

It's amazing how loud some freehubs are. It's like rattling a playing
card against the spokes, like we did as kids to pretend we were on
motorcycles. A card and a clothespin, vroom!

Economists say "Veblen goods", meaning if he paid extra for
a Chris King hub, all the other riders will know it.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 28th 18, 11:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ned Mantei

On 27-03-18 22:47, Joerg wrote:
Many folks with other freehubs don't need to holler "on your left" when
rolling downhill because you can hear the GRRRR.

How can I get people to holler that here in Switzerland? Or maybe ring a
bell? It's just not customary here, and no one does it.

A couple of weeks ago I was in downtown Zurich, riding on a road with 2
sets of tram tracks. Approaching a stoplight, I signaled to the car
behind me that I wanted to turn left, and moved to the left side of my
lane. The motorist clearly saw that, so I saw no need to keep signaling
the turn. As the light turned green, I moved into the intersection to
cross the second set of tram tracks and to turn. Just then another guy
on a bike came up from behind even further to the left (in the lane
going against traffic on the other side of the intersection). I didn't
see him coming, turned into him so that my handlebars caught his, and so
slowly tipped over onto the pavement. Fortunately only a couple of minor
scratches, but could have been a lot worse.

Ned

How silent is your bike? Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 29 June 16th 10 07:23 PM
Rigged for silent running... WibbleWobble UK 1 February 3rd 07 06:51 PM
As soft and silent as the mist... Resound Australia 8 March 28th 06 02:39 AM
Silent freewheels Robert Norton UK 12 June 12th 05 10:29 AM
rbr silent on Roberto Callistus Valerius Racing 9 July 10th 04 05:57 PM