Spoke head popped off

Old May 20th 08, 08:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Anthony DeLorenzo

Default Spoke head popped off

Hi All,

While riding this weekend I broke a spoke. I found it odd that the
spoke head basically popped off. The entire spoke, including the elbow
section, was intact.

These are 36-spoke wheels with less than 1000 km on them. Is this a
normal area for a spoke to fail from stress? Or is it just a bad
spoke? Otherwise the wheel has been trouble-free so far.

Regards,
Anthony
Old May 20th 08, 12:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bruce Gilbert[_3_]

"Anthony DeLorenzo" wrote in message
Hi All,

While riding this weekend I broke a spoke. I found it odd that the
spoke head basically popped off. The entire spoke, including the elbow
section, was intact.

These are 36-spoke wheels with less than 1000 km on them. Is this a
normal area for a spoke to fail from stress? Or is it just a bad
spoke? Otherwise the wheel has been trouble-free so far.

Regards,
Anthony

I have had this happen a few times. Mass produced, small metal parts, slight
internal defect, put it together. Get a new nipple installed and do not
worry...

Bruce

Old May 20th 08, 01:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Anthony DeLorenzo wrote:
Hi All,

While riding this weekend I broke a spoke. I found it odd that the
spoke head basically popped off. The entire spoke, including the elbow
section, was intact.

These are 36-spoke wheels with less than 1000 km on them.

in this day and age, that indicates a low-end cheapo wheelset, and thus
inferior spoke quality.

Is this a
normal area for a spoke to fail from stress? Or is it just a bad
spoke? Otherwise the wheel has been trouble-free so far.

it happens - it's a function of spoke quality. simply replace with a
known brand you can get from your lbs, then enjoy. [several more may
fail if the wheel is not re-spoked, and unless you do that yourself, it
may not be economic vs. buying new wheels.]
Old May 20th 08, 02:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
daveornee[_216_]

Anthony DeLorenzo Wrote:
Hi All,

While riding this weekend I broke a spoke. I found it odd that the
spoke head basically popped off. The entire spoke, including the elbow
section, was intact.

These are 36-spoke wheels with less than 1000 km on them. Is this a
normal area for a spoke to fail from stress? Or is it just a bad
spoke? Otherwise the wheel has been trouble-free so far.

Regards,
Anthony

Sapim says:
"The spoke head breaks off (this is unusual)
- Bad positioning of the head in the hub (e.g. a slant position puts
all the pressure on one side of the bottom of the spoke head. As a
result the head snaps off, the so-called "bottle cap effect").
- The hub flange is too thick and is not suited to the length of the
spoke bend (i.e. all the pressure is on the head, which will be
excessively stressed and rip off).
- If the wrong cross pattern is chosen, e.g. cross 4 on large flange
hubs, the spoke bend can rub against the adjacent spoke head. This
should be avoided."
I have never had it happen in over 500,000 miles of riding, but I have
seen it in a couple of wheels.

--
daveornee

Old May 20th 08, 04:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Anthony DeLorenzo

On May 20, 5:59 am, jim beam wrote:

in this day and age, that indicates a low-end cheapo wheelset, and thus
inferior spoke quality.

Not the case here... These are DT Competition spokes laced to XT hubs.
Old May 20th 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Anthony DeLorenzo

On May 20, 6:24 am, daveornee daveornee.39p...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:

Sapim says:
"The spoke head breaks off (this is unusual)
- Bad positioning of the head in the hub (e.g. a slant position puts
all the pressure on one side of the bottom of the spoke head. As a
result the head snaps off, the so-called "bottle cap effect").
- The hub flange is too thick and is not suited to the length of the
spoke bend (i.e. all the pressure is on the head, which will be
excessively stressed and rip off).
- If the wrong cross pattern is chosen, e.g. cross 4 on large flange
hubs, the spoke bend can rub against the adjacent spoke head. This
should be avoided."
I have never had it happen in over 500,000 miles of riding, but I have
seen it in a couple of wheels.

Thanks for that. Looking at that list, the first one is a good
possibility. I built these wheels myself and may have had a spoke head
that wasn't quite bedded in to the hub correctly. I'll take a look at
the wheel closer, but the replacement spoke was fine over the next 400
km of our ride.

Old May 20th 08, 05:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich

"Anthony DeLorenzo" wrote in message
Hi All,

While riding this weekend I broke a spoke. I found it odd that the
spoke head basically popped off. The entire spoke, including the elbow
section, was intact.

These are 36-spoke wheels with less than 1000 km on them. Is this a
normal area for a spoke to fail from stress? Or is it just a bad
spoke? Otherwise the wheel has been trouble-free so far.

There are bad spokes in every lot. It would be prohibitively expensive to
inspect spokes as well as necessary to prevent the very occasional failure
of this kind.

Replace the spoke. If a second spoke breaks start looking for problems such
as bad die for forming the heads - it will leave marks.

Old May 21st 08, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Anthony DeLorenzo wrote:
On May 20, 5:59 am, jim beam wrote:

in this day and age, that indicates a low-end cheapo wheelset, and thus
inferior spoke quality.

Not the case here... These are DT Competition spokes laced to XT hubs.

in that case, all you can do is replace - statistically, it won't happen
again before the wheel's worn out.

fwiw, sapim have a much larger radius under their spoke heads than d.t.,
so should be much less prone to this kind of fatigue.