RIP Phil Wood

Old March 23rd 10, 08:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

Default RIP Phil Wood

On Mar 23, 4:06*pm, Simon Lewis wrote:
* Still Just Me * writes:

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 07:37:30 -0700 (PDT), Jay Beattie
wrote:

Why would you get ****ed at that? Its not like they crack every week.

The bearings wear out. *I have great brand loyalty, but wiper seals
are not that great in truly wet climates like Oregon. *The Shimano MTB
hubs seal better. Plus, a lifetime warranty is a lifetime warranty.
You can't change it unilaterally post-sale. -- Jay Beattie.

I have a Price-Pfister faucet (or two) that ran in the same direction.
They come with a lifetime warranty, which they have always been very
generous in responding to. Call them up, tell them what's bad, they
send you the parts at ho charge whatsoever. Their faucets do wear out,
both mechanically and cosmetically, but since they send you a new one,
it's not a terrible deal.

Last time I called with a faucet that had a finish problem them told
me "We'll send you a complete new unit - but the replacement only
comes with a three year warranty". In other words, the first unit you
buy has a lifetime warranty, but it's now a one-time replacement in
your lifetime. Not exactly what you'd expect by "lifetime".

You seriously expect to pay once and *get lifetime repairs for free?
You're deluded or incredibly stupid.

I've traded in the "same" screwdrivers and ratchets to Sears several
times. They roll their eyes sometimes, but they take 'em.

Once I even got lucky - they had a polished handle 1/2" drive ratchet
but no plain 1/2" drive ratchets in their rebuilt drawer, and they
apparently would rather give you an upgrade than have you take a new
one off the shelf. Used to be you could buy "rebuild kits" for
ratchets for a penny, but I haven't seen those in years.

nate
Old March 23rd 10, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson[_5_]

wrote:

[...]

ROTFL Only Still Completely Clueless would kick about getting a brand-new
replacement faucet ("or two") after many years of free repair parts and kick
about it. ROTFL

Bill "bet he blames the JEWS at Price-Pfister, too" S.

Old March 23rd 10, 10:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

wrote:

[...]

I don't know. Many years ago I got this mail-order catalog from the
"John Deere" company - full of lawn and garden stuff - lots of
stepping stones and little garden sculptures and planter boxes and
what not, as I recall.

The catalog made a big deal about how reputable the John Deere company
was - how they'd been in business for 150 years, and that they would
guarantee anything you bought from this catalog for 150 years. That's
all well and good for concrete lawn gnomes and bird feeders, but right
in there with all the stuff that's basically never subject to any wear
and tear was a 5-blade reel mower (human powered) - made by the
American Lawn Mower company, but painted green with a "John Deere"
decal on it.

So I bought the lawn mower, and then when something broke, it took a
while, but I eventually got in contact with somebody at the John Deere
company who understood the potential risk to that reputation they're
so proud of, and they offered to reimburse me for replacement parts.

Of course, I never bothered getting the reimbursement, but I like to
think - as long as the John Deere company needs that valuable
reputation of theirs (and I can still find my copy of that catalog) -
that I could probably press them to keep my lawnmower going for me, my
children, their children, and so on.
Old March 23rd 10, 11:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

wrote:

[...]

Well, that's better than my shop warranty.

"My lifetime, not yours"

Which is good enough for me, BTW. By the time you get around to kicking
I'll be too decrepit to ride the bike stuff I bought from you.

--
Faith is believing what you know ain't so.
-Mark Twain
Old March 24th 10, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Mar 22, 6:07*pm, datakoll wrote:
Phil, forgive me.
for whatever right ?

local noise imported from California tells me my contretemps is from
the current owner not Phil Woods.
Old March 24th 10, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

EYEYEAHHAHA that Sorenson has a sense of humor no ?

say, is Phil getting dumped at Woodlawn ?
Old March 27th 10, 11:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
It's Chris

From: (Tim*McNamara)

In article

,
brian roth
wrote:

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/...tail/3856.html

Godspeed Mr. Wood. I've seen 25+ year
old Phil hubs still running smoothly on
their original bearings. Got one on one of
my tandems.
--
Faith is believing what you know ain't so. * * -Mark Twain

I'm one of them. I spent what at the time for me was an extravagant
amount of money for a PW BB in 1985 because the ball & cup spindle sets
kept wearing out. This was on my mountain/commuting machine, which was
used sun and rain, five days a week 50 weeks a year.

I still have it, on my mountain bike. Which doesn't get use for
commuting any more as I'm retired. In fact, this is the third mountain
bike it has been on, having outlived the last two. And yes, it still i
running smoothly on the original bearing set.

I figure it has somewhere around 70,000 miles on it by now.

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

Phil Wood BB jp_nyc Techniques 17 April 14th 07 09:47 AM
Phil Wood BB -- Is it really worth it? Wasatch5k Techniques 21 July 6th 05 07:37 PM
WTB Phil Wood BB, 113 Dave Thompson Marketplace 0 January 17th 05 04:29 PM
WTB: Phil Wood front hub Neill Currie Marketplace 0 November 18th 04 04:30 AM
Phil Wood Hub peter Techniques 16 October 12th 04 09:43 PM