cassette bottom bracket

Old April 15th 10, 04:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Robert Norton

Default cassette bottom bracket

I have a cassette bottom bracket on my ten year old Dawes Galaxy. It's done
thousands of miles without complaining. Since I dont suppose it will last
for ever, will it give me adequate warning when it's about to pack up or
should I replace it now?? Most of the other components have been replaced
for a variety of reasons.
rob

Old April 15th 10, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Apr 15, 10:57*am, "robert norton" wrote:
I have a cassette bottom bracket on my ten year old Dawes Galaxy. It's done
thousands of miles without complaining. Since I dont suppose it will last
for ever, will it give me adequate warning when it's about to pack up or
should I replace it now?? *Most of the other components have been replaced
for a variety of reasons.
rob

If it gets contaminated, it'll just get noisy and a little less
efficient. It's going to be a rather easy part to find for many years
to come. $25 for a Shimano UN-54 and a few more bux for labor. The
similarly priced FSAs have aluminum lock rings if that's an aesthetic
concern. The plastic ones are fine.
Old April 15th 10, 05:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Simon Lewis

"robert norton" writes:

I have a cassette bottom bracket on my ten year old Dawes Galaxy. It's done
thousands of miles without complaining. Since I dont suppose it will last
for ever, will it give me adequate warning when it's about to pack up or
should I replace it now?? Most of the other components have been replaced
for a variety of reasons.
rob

I had one on the same bike that when it went, without warning, it
went. Unusable.

Piece of mind, money not short? Replace it.

Old April 20th 10, 10:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Apr 20, 1:00*pm, (It's Chris) wrote:
cassette bottom bracket *

Group: rec.bicycles.misc Date: Thu, Apr 15, 2010, 9:31am (EDT-3) From:

(landotter) wrote:
It's going to be a rather easy part to find
for many years to come. *

It's more likely your crankset will become obsolete before the bearings
wear out.

Not with square taper. It's going to be with us for a long long time.
The biggest problem with it, IMHO, that the cranks would creep inward
due to repeated mounting and deformation of the aluminum, is pretty
much moot with a cartridge bottom bracket making service intervals
rather long.

A couple hundred bux and change gets a Sugino crank and a SKF bottom
bracket. Pretty much a lifetime investment for far less than wonky
plastic bits.

Old April 25th 10, 03:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
It's Chris

From: (landotter)
On Apr 20, 1:00*pm, (It's Chris) wrote:

It's more likely your crankset will
become obsolete before the bearings wear out.

Not with square taper. It's going to be
with us for a long long time. The biggest
problem with it, IMHO, that the cranks
would creep inward due to repeated
mounting and deformation of the
aluminum, is pretty much moot with a
cartridge bottom bracket making service
intervals rather long.

A couple hundred bux and change gets a
Sugino crank and a SKF bottom bracket.
Pretty much a lifetime investment for far less than wonky plastic

bits.

I have a Sugino BB square taper holding the AT triple on my tourer, it's
lasted ten years at least. but the all time champ is the Phil Wood I
bought back in 1985 for my commuter/MTB. The tapers are still fine, even
after a quarter century of use. That includes daily commuting, 60-80
miles a week, 50 or so weeks a year, rain or shine. Also utility use
(mostly shopping, sometimes pullling as much as 100 pounds of feed in
the trailer), and periodic trail use. I don't commute anymore, I retired
last year. but I still use the MTB for daily "keep in shape" rides.

It has outlasted three bikes and five cranksets. I do pull off the
cranks at least once a year to give the bearings fresh lube. After an
estimated 70,000 miles the bearings are finally starting to make
creaking noises. The spindle is still fine, the cranks still fit
tightly. I don't know if PW still honors the lifetime warrantee that
convinced me to lay down the $85 dollars this cartridge set cost me (an
exorbitant price for me at the time), but I hope they can at least
replace the bearings.

I like this BB!

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

Old May 1st 10, 07:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Petey

On Apr 15, 11:57*am, "robert norton" wrote:
I have a cassette bottom bracket on my ten year old Dawes Galaxy. It's done
thousands of miles without complaining. Since I dont suppose it will last
for ever, will it give me adequate warning when it's about to pack up or
should I replace it now?? *Most of the other components have been replaced
for a variety of reasons.
rob

The great thing about cartridge bearings is that they are replaced as
a unit. In the old style cup-and-cone bearings, if one piece went,
you had to replace it before it damaged all the other parts which then
had to be replaced at considerable cost. With a lot of hubs, it isn't
even possible to replace the cups, so if these go, you might as well
chuck the whole wheel. With a cartridge unit, you don't give a damn
what's going on inside. As long as it still turns, you're fine, and
if you've ever ridden someone's crappy old department store bike, you
know it usually takes a long time before bearings actually seize up
and become unuseable. And what feels like a lot of resistance when
spun by hand becomes negligible once on the road, overwhelmed by
inertia. Personally, I would save myself some cash and wait until
there's an alarming amount of play in the unit. Most bike parts are
absurdly overpriced.