It's 2003 all over again?

Old July 24th 10, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default It's 2003 all over again?

Two interesting parallels (or anti-parallels) to 2003 this TdF. First, you
have the Schleck chain thing and the leaders not waiting up for him (that's
the "anti" thing). Then you have the final TT and dramatically-changing
conditions for the early guys vs later. In 2003, David Millar ran away with
it, not because of doping or being a stronger rider than Lance or Jan, but
because he had an incredibly-powerful tailwind that virtually nobody
mentioned. This year, the early riders (including Fabian) had almost no
wind, while a *strong* headwind picked up around 15:30 or so, just in time
for the stronger riders on the course.

I was there for both. At least this time, the weather conditions were
mentioned although, ironically, the difference wasn't as severe as it was in
2003. That year, if you had an early start, you probably would have done
best to unzip your jersey and use it as a sail.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old July 24th 10, 11:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael S

On Jul 25, 12:00*am, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:
[...]

Thanks, you answered my question in the other thread.
Somehow eurosport commentators forgot to mention the change of the
wind conditions
Old July 24th 10, 11:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

====
Thanks, you answered my question in the other thread.
Somehow eurosport commentators forgot to mention the change of the
wind conditions
====

My son and I were at the 25k-to-go sign, about halfway through the course.
What we saw there might have been different from conditions where the
Eurosport folk were. However, I believe Cyclingnews.com picked up on it. Ah,
here it is from the live report-

"14:56 BST News from the roadside is that the wind is starting to pick up
even more. That's going to play havoc and surely now Cancellara has the win
in the bag."

Old July 24th 10, 11:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Zeno

wrote:

[...]

Phil & Paul noted that flag straightening winds blew later in the day,
hampering all the later starts. Fabio is very strong, but not 5-7
minutes stronger.
Old July 25th 10, 12:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Keith

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 15:00:04 -0700, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

Two interesting parallels (or anti-parallels) to 2003 this TdF. First, you
have the Schleck chain thing and the leaders not waiting up for him (that's
the "anti" thing). Then you have the final TT and dramatically-changing
conditions for the early guys vs later.

True and add to that the champ who's having somewhat of an "off-year",
LA wasn't his usual self in 2003 and AC hasn't been his 2008/2009 self
in 2010, hope the gap doesn't widen again in 2011 like it did in 2004
to everyone's surprise although we may have some answers now, i.e. the
bus stopping on a small road, etc...
Old July 25th 10, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
K. Keith Gauss

I was there for both. At least this time, the weather conditions were
mentioned although, ironically, the difference wasn't as severe as it
was in 2003. That year, if you had an early start, you probably would
have done best to unzip your jersey and use it as a sail.

No, no, no, no, no! Lemond in 1989 was the only person in the history of
cycling to ride a TT with a tail wind.
Old July 25th 10, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Zeno

On Jul 24, 5:38*pm, Keith wrote:
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 15:00:04 -0700, "Mike Jacoubowsky"

in 2010, hope the gap doesn't widen again in 2011 like it did in 2004
to everyone's surprise although we may have some answers now, i.e. the
bus stopping on a small road, etc.

If that tale has any truth to it, it was the Phonak bus that got"lost"
The French authorities & media had a permanent tail on USPS at that
time. Not even Remy Julien could shake a tail driving a luxo bus

Old July 25th 10, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan Gringioni[_2_]

"Michael S" wrote in message

:: Thanks, you answered my question in the other thread.
:: Somehow eurosport commentators forgot to mention the change of the
:: wind conditions

Dumbass -

Philatio and Paulpot actually talked about that a lot. They got the best of
Eurosport for once!

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

Old July 25th 10, 01:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Anton Berlin

On Jul 24, 7:38*pm, "Kurgan Gringioni"
wrote:
"Michael S" wrote in message

:: Thanks, you answered my question in the other thread.
:: Somehow eurosport commentators forgot to mention the change of the
:: wind conditions

Dumbass -

Philatio and Paulpot actually talked about that a lot. They got the best of
Eurosport for once!

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

The Versus guys are experts when it comes to talking bout the
weather. Of course they'd excel today.

(he's right though - eurosport (uk) didn't mention it that i can
recall
Old July 25th 10, 05:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
It's Chris

And don't forget the carnage. In particular:

Beloki - 2003 (downhill, tar patch)
Schleck - 2010 (cobblestones)

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

2003 TDF Incident Paul Australia 8 August 13th 05 12:06 PM
2003 RM ETSX RM Dude Mountain Biking 1 October 6th 04 04:18 AM
WTB New 2003 Giant VT2 or VT1 Mark Wheaton Marketplace 0 August 6th 04 11:21 AM
Around The Bay In A Day 2003 Andrew Morris Australia 44 November 7th 03 10:40 AM
Thanks for NAUCC 2003! tadaniels Unicycling 15 August 14th 03 05:02 PM